Power Case Trimmer recommendation/s

Freeforester

As above gents, the manual trimmer is okay I find for a few rounds, but Christmas is coming, and I would like to hear any recommendations from the congregation!

Not sure whether any of the lesser known trimmers from across the water get over here, but have been 'researching' a wee bit and see the WFT (wtf?:lol:), the Trimit 2, and the Henderson precision all get the 3 jobs done all in one pass, the prospect of which appeals, though is not crucial, I'm just looking to take some of the tedium of the manual operations away.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

How many cases do you need to trim?
If thousands a year then the Gracey or Giraud offerings are the way to go.
If you're talking a couple of hundred then the standard Lee case trimmer & a cordless drill/driver will do the job admirably.
Steer clear of the Forstner & RCBS 'mini lathe' type trimmers, as they're inconsistent to the point of being useless unless you spend an inordinate amount of time on each case.

There are a number of threads regarding trimming, do a quick search...

This is pasted from an earlier response to a similar question...

I modified the Lee case holder to make it easier to open and close by welding a M4 nut onto it and using an M4 set screw as a lever.

I put the case in the holder...the drill has a spindle lock so it can be done single handed...use the Lee trimmer and then use the chamfer tools of the Lyman Case Prep Multi-Tool. The drill stands on a tray which catches any swarf.

The other responses in this similar thread may also be useful for you...

trimming advise please - Page 2

Some one was telling me they used the Lee case length gauge and cutter in a pillar drill and hand held held the case under it using a bit of steel as the anvil/depth stop...cuts out all the case chucking and unchucking...I will try it next trimming session.

Alan

There are a number of threads regarding trimming, do a quick search...

This is pasted from an earlier response to a similar question...

I modified the Lee case holder to make it easier to open and close by welding a M4 nut onto it and using an M4 set screw as a lever.

I put the case in the holder...the drill has a spindle lock so it can be done single handed...use the Lee trimmer and then use the chamfer tools of the Lyman Case Prep Multi-Tool. The drill stands on a tray which catches any swarf.

The other responses in this similar thread may also be useful for you...

trimming advise please - Page 2

Some one was telling me they used the Lee case length gauge and cutter in a pillar drill and hand held held the case under it using a bit of steel as the anvil/depth stop...cuts out all the case chucking and unchucking...I will try it next trimming session.

Alan
Eee, that's neat, as the one negative I have with the Lee is sore fingers from opening & closing the bloody knurled case holder (Oh & check the length of your cases now & then, as the case length gauge does wear down after a couple of thousand cases - still cheap to replace).

Eee, that's neat, as the one negative I have with the Lee is sore fingers from opening & closing the bloody knurled case holder (Oh & check the length of your cases now & then, as the case length gauge does wear down after a couple of thousand cases - still cheap to replace).

Yes it was my sore fingers that prompted the invention!

My cases came out a few thou overlong to start with until I discovered a machining nib in the middle of the case holder that the length gauge was bottoming on...

Alan

Back