Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gains from dsc2

Gains from dsc2

Not wanting to derail another thread I've decided to start a new one. Who on here who has dsc2 have found that by holding that little piece of paper found doors opening? I've seen a couple of people say it but curious to how many. Also, by doors opening is that new land to shoot on? Land that you couldn't previously shoot on for various reasons? Or met link minded people and take/help eachother out?

Good question. I just printed out the DSC2 application forms yesterday but the only thing holding me back is the cost.

yes it is a good question,
    it can be a bit catch 22, if you dont have stalking then it may help you gain some, a lot of land owners now like to see that the people they are potentially going to let out on there land have the relevant qualifications and insurance, yes the cost of getting through DSC level one and two can be expensive Particularly if you don't have somewhere to stalk, its a bit easier if you have access to stalking as there are many AW,s who will take you out just for the fuel costs.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

For me it was an achievement to gain DSC2, as for "opening doors" not really. I have a spot on a syndicate that I'm happy with (DSC2) not a requirement & a bit of permission here & there (no qualifications required).
    I've been offered other syndicate places which I haven't taken up partly due to lack of time & costs but I've been offered those spots because of who I know and not because I've gone looking waving my qualifications around
    Wingy

I run a couple of large deer management groups. A prerequisite is that all members must hold DSC Level 2. In all cases, this is driven by the management of these areas and not by myself, although I fully support this concept.
    I do take on trainees, but they must have DSC 1 as a minimum and then remain supervised and accompanied until such time as they achieve DSC 2.
    These areas were previously managed by people that didn't hold such qualifications and lost out because they weren't prepared to accept the new policies which were undoubtedly driven by risk assessment and insurance.
    If you snooze - you lose!
    MS

I would like to add that I'm not all-bad and took on several of the previous stalkers, trained them as required and put them through their DSC 2. Some have completed and some are still going through the process. I think they have all realised the benefits.
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 13-12-2017 at 11:38.

We wouldn't have our lease for stalking without the lease holder having DSC2 the rest of the syndicate need to have level 1.
    i have never tried opening doors with my level 2 but it has come in useful at times.

I completed my DSC2 because I saw it as a personal challenge and something to aim for, I am now a member of a syndicate who prefer members to have a DSC2 but will take DSC1 holders if they can show the relevant experience as well
    All members must hold appropriate insurance
    I also completed the deer management qualification, not because I had to but because I saw it as a way of increasing my knowledge

Stalkers are not allowed on Forestry Commission land without DSC level 2 (or working towards it) therefore without it I wouldn’t have any stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I completed my DSC2 because I saw it as a personal challenge and something to aim for, I am now a member of a syndicate who prefer members to have a DSC2 but will take DSC1 holders if they can show the relevant experience as well
    All members must hold appropriate insurance
    I also completed the deer management qualification, not because I had to but because I saw it as a way of increasing my knowledge
    My experience is very similar. Around 2000 my Dad told me to join the BDS and do my DSC 1. Shortly afterwards I did my DSC 2 and recently I attended the Deer Management course. My Dad did his DSC 1/2 nearly 60 years after he started stalking. At the age of 92 his stalking days are done, but he recognised that there's always more to learn about deer. In his later years he went out to look at the stags virtually every day and when he indoors as often as not, he would be reading about deer.

There are many good aspects to stalking, but the key attraction to me is there is always more to learn whether by formal training or just meeting other stalkers and seeing their ground and deer.

Merry Christmas.

JCS

Established Poster
    Deer Dog Available
    I think all of us, no matter how experienced, can benefit from being observed by and receiving feedback from another stalker from time to time. We all get into bad habits, get stuck in a rut, or just plain forget things. DSC2 is one of the few opportunities that we will have in our stalking and hunting careers to submit ourselves to the critical eye of our peers.