German TV and Boar Hunting

Heym SR20

A couple of friends and I went to Germany last week for a week of hunting. We were invited to join a driven hunt in the middle of Germany. Local German TV was there doing a piece on how the hunters are controlling the boar populations for the good of the local people, the environment etc. The hunt was on the very edge of Hagan - close to Dortmund.

And it was shown on the equivalent of local evening news. Can you see this happening in the Forest of Dean? It is in German but you should still get a good sense of the story. Our group accounted for a couple of pigs, two or three roe and three foxes.

Video: Wildschweinjagd in Hagen - Lokalzeit aus Dortmund - Sendungen A-Z - Video - Mediathek - WDR

The boar in the forest of dean are starting to come into populised areas, at the moment they are seen as cute and cuddly, just wait untill one of them does some damage to a person or even worse a child, the people here do not realise how dangerous these things can be, where as in germany they have been dealing with them for centuries so know that shooting / culls are a fact of life, here we have to many tree huggers who live in cities and want to go see the cute and cuddlies at the weekend and have no clue about the reality of life in the wild
cheers
Ray

just wait untill one of them does some damage to a person or even worse a child

you would need to be very stupid for this to happen. one should always stay well clear of wild animals and especially their young. They wont attack if they dont feel threatened.
They are all around where I live and the only stories of them attacking anyone is either a wounded animal that attacked an unwary hunter or a hunter cornering one and the beast took the only way out...
Educating people about these dangers is the first step in avoiding any attacks.

its not a bear. I dont consider them dangerous animals although they can become dangerous.

Last edited:
Back