Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All ready for the off!

All ready for the off!

I somehow have a need to tell you all that I'm all packed and ready for my weekend up north. I've got a couple of days booked in with a certain someone. I'll hopefully be in a position to write up a few stories with photos, and maybe even video upon my return.

Have a good weekend all.

DC

weekend warrior ha ha

good luck cringe ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    I somehow have a need to tell you all that I'm all packed and ready for my weekend up north. I've got a couple of days booked in with a certain someone. I'll hopefully be in a position to write up a few stories with photos, and maybe even video upon my return.

Have a good weekend all.

DC
    Luckkkkkkkky you , all the best.

You will be pleased to know that I spoke to the B&B landlady yesterday ans and is on red alert for your arrival !!

See you on Friday afternoon.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Hope you enjoy it, pleny of deer on that ground, have your camera on standby if you use the highseat, I have watched 4 deer from it at different times and also watched a Pine Marten playing just the other side of the ride. Been up close and personal to deer there, 15-20m away at times, just the wrong Species/Sex to have had the good news from my .243/.270/22-250

Good luck and I hope your scope is filled with Sika,Roe or even Red.

Look forward to reading about it.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Leave some for me please i need to get a deer or two i dont seem to get many , good luck and have a good one.

Good luck dave, hope it goes well for you*up there and you get some good stories that i look forward to hearing upon your return.

G

good luck

Thanks everyone - This shouldn't take too long.

We (me plus a friend) arrived up north on Friday with a couple of days booked. We met up with JAYB and made our way up to the wonderful b&b where we were hosted by Sue, and shown to our little palace - this summerhouse had everything you could need for a stalking holiday.

Without much delay JAYB took us around the block of woodland. Part of a huge expanse of timber with some open moor to one side. This place has many signs of deer damage and the suggestions that there could be a good number in occupancy.

We started out, very soon afterwards I was reminded by the familiar sound that the north of Scotland is in fact a sponge. There was no chance of a walk up stalk here - the search was on for a viewpoint to get laid up in wait.

There were signs of activity throughout and we regularly saw glimpses of sika and red hinds. Not much luck on the stag front.

Day 2 was spent sitting, watching, waiting. The wind was absent and the midges were incredible - I'm glad that I had the head net!

It is a beautiful place with an abundance of wildlife - even the dragon flies that had JAYB wondering what on earth was going on the oter week made an appearance. There were pine martens and an fox rummaging around. I spent the morning in a high seat overlooking a large ride that banked up as it went away from me. There was a smaller ride with a few downed trees over my right shoulder. A couple of hinds worked into the ride and Iwandered whether a stag or 2 may also be in the area - no such luck. The morning session was interrupted by a muffled crack and the sound of flesh being struck. My friend had got his red stag - an old boy who may have benefitted from a dental plan. 62kgs in the larder. A job well done.

The hinds that I was watching ran into cover and that ended the morning.

Day 2 evening and we set off in different directions. My friend covered the lower rides to the right of the main access track whilst I got comfortable up the top end. I waited in a large ride off to the right were I could hear the sika stags whistling - the first time I'd heard them this year. It brought back great memories of the previous years up in that area. After an hour or so I could hear the whistles moving further away and I relocated to an area with a small comse of beech trees overlooking the woodland edge with open moor approx. 40m wide with more beech trees to the right. I was confident that there'd be activity here - I was right. After a couple of hours in wait a skia hind made her way out of the tree cover with her pricket young. They grazed their way to within 10m of me, I didn't move an inch. As the hind moved slightly down wind of me she sniffed, she couldn't work out what whas wrong, but she knew something was not quite as it should be. As she scented the pricked moved to around 5 m from me. I was looking at a couple of full freezer draws, I didn't even have to move to shoot. I must be getting soft in my old age. I let tem be. Watched for a while until they moved on and then packed up for the night. Great to see. Hopefully I'll have a chance at him in a few years time.

Not the best write up in the world but that's a floor on my part. I had a great weekend. Many thanks to JAYB, and to B&B Sue. They were excellent hosts and great company. Hopefully see them both again in the not too distant future.

All you guys heading uo for the week - I'm not jealous at all.... or am I?

DC

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Glad you had a good time, plenty of deer there but they do like to stay hidden.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position