Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Rifle magazine

Sporting Rifle magazine

I cant see what all the bad press is about, I recieved a FREE June 2010 copy through the post (dont quite know why?) and it is quite a good read.

A couple of good reviews and some good stories on foxing, yeah, it is heavily laiden with Ads but what magazine isnt these days.

The Selena one looks a bit of a fox too and to think some of you lot chased her away!

All in all it get the thumbs up from me.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I get it on occasion and quite enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    I get it on occasion and quite enjoy it
    what about the magazine though
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Account Suspended
    I'm not sure this is in the right section.
    ADMIN

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    what about the magazine though
    I was thinking the same thing Dan, I get it as well on an occasion but my memories that bad I just cant remember when ,I cant even remember what year it was either
    I seem to remember it had bristles on though

I have cancelled my subscription but still get it from time to time and from what I can see it is improving. My gripe with it was bad practice being portrayed by people who should no better. The editor should have read these articles and put a stop to putting it in to print and pointed the author to the error of their ways. To much safari stuff, don’t get me wrong I like to read the odd article on something out of the ordinary, I think one African and one European article per month is enough. Six or so months ago half the magazine was safari. I also felt insulted by the magazines belief that placing an unproportional amount of articles about females stalking would be more appealing. Stalking is interesting to me irrespective of the sex of the person stalking. In one particular article some of the editor’s sexist comments made me cringe. The magazines product placement is criminal but then I wouldn't take a review in any magazine at face value. Very few are objective given that it is the advertisers that pay for a lot of the costs. You are always better off getting a review of a bit of kit from real people who have nothing to gain that is where the internet comes in.

Dave

Some people read into things too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Some people read into things too much.
    In what way?

Dave

Dave,

It isn't "Stalking Rifle" but Sporting Rifle. As with all magazines, you need authors to provide copy. It isn't the editors that should do it, but they have to regurgitate when copy is lacking. ALL magazines are driven by advertising, not by subscription.

Fishing magazines are the same.

Stan

My subscription has only a couple of months left to run and after they published Steve Sweeting's chamois helicopter 'hunt' disgrace I will not be renewing. I thought the mag' was taking a turn for the better over the last few issues but that article just made me realise where the anti's get their ammo, we give them it when allow our publications to put that sort of crap into print. I'm voting with my wallet and although there is no other magazine with such diverse coverage I will not stand by and watch our sport being ruined from within.