Open Sights

jon15

I have a blaser R8 and I am thinking about retrospectively fitting open sights, I do a limited amount of driven shooting on the continent and have just come back from such a trip and feel the idea of shooting moving targets with open sights would be very close to the sight picture I have whilst shotgun shooting.
My barrel is screw cut and has no pre-drilled holes for open sights, would love to know of anyone who has retro fitted open sights and did they use the blaser own sights or go for another type, they would need to be removable as it is also a stalking rifle. Also, just out of curiosity how many people shoot open sights at driven game? Many thanks and Happy Christmas.

I would like to retro fit open sights in two of my rifles too. It will interesting to see what people suggest.

I have shot running deer, at Bisley, with open sights. Using a .280 Ross that owned at the time. In fact I have never owned a rifle that didn't have open sights fitted. But my own advice would be to get a 1x power 'scope, or 1.5x, and fit that using a second set of rings that fit the mounts that you already have on the rifle.

Barrel mounted mid-sights don't work well as eyes age even if you wear glasses and even rear of receiver aperture sights (as on the Enfield No4 or later the SLR aka L1A1 become less easy to use as your eyes age. I had a Zeiss 1.5-4.5x and a Zeiss 3-9x. At 3x it works as well as the 1.5-4.5x for most purposes close up.

Last edited:
I'd get a gunsmith to make a thread protector with an open site blade fitted and then it's only a rear sight you need to get fitted. Would be cheaper than having a foresight mounted onto the barrel I'd imagine??

I have a blaser R8 and I am thinking about retrospectively fitting open sights, I do a limited amount of driven shooting on the continent and have just come back from such a trip and feel the idea of shooting moving targets with open sights would be very close to the sight picture I have whilst shotgun shooting.
My barrel is screw cut and has no pre-drilled holes for open sights, would love to know of anyone who has retro fitted open sights and did they use the blaser own sights or go for another type, they would need to be removable as it is also a stalking rifle. Also, just out of curiosity how many people shoot open sights at driven game? Many thanks and Happy Christmas.

Jon,

Iron sights are great in perfect lighting. A Red Dot is better in Winter on Boar. No need to align fore and aft, just keep both eyes open, swing through and just “see” the dot in relation to the Boar.

Stan

Not so many decades ago, hunters were generally suspicious to riflescopes and the common way to aim and shoot was to use the iron sights.....
For driven hunt it's still one of the best way to get a wide view of the situation, with both eyes open, a better fit to the gun stock and a lighter rifle.
However, many situations aquire a scope and the best solution is probably a good quick release mount for the scope, that will give you both opportunities. I'd never have a rifle without iron sights and in some situations it's unbeatable (not stalking though)
On one of my rifles, a marlin 1895 guide gun 45-70, I use only iron sights, but not the crappy original ones. I mounted the skinner express sight, a US made peep/ghost sight that works well although my eyes aren't that sharp they used to be.
There are many types of diopter sights and I think they are very good. Check out the skinner lo pro, it might be possible to mount it temporarily on a scope mount base, instead of a traditional sight blade on the barrel, together with an adjustable front sight
LO-Pro Sight

Jon,

Iron sights are great in perfect lighting. A Red Dot is better in Winter on Boar. No need to align fore and aft, just keep both eyes open, swing through and just “see” the dot in relation to the Boar.

Stan

Stan, This is how I imagined it would work, if the gun fits well and is mounted properly, running targets at sub 50yrds should be very shootable. I was working on the same principle as shotgun shooting, would you bother with a rear sight or just have a front sight?

use a low mag scope or a red dot, I wear the best varifocal glasses normally, but can't with open sights I have to have cheap three step or fixed focus

I simply luv my stutzens I had (now sold) a weaver railed rifle (270) where the open rear sight was off to the side and the muzzle break had a foresight offset, you just tipped the rifle to the side, good for 60metres

My stutzens I have filed the rear out for more light and coloured the fore

if I had a Blazer with this request I would buy another barrel isn't that the idea of a Blazer

use a low mag scope or a red dot, I wear the best varifocal glasses normally, but can't with open sights I have to have cheap three step or fixed focus

I simply luv my stutzens I had (now sold) a weaver railed rifle (270) where the open rear sight was off to the side and the muzzle break had a foresight offset, you just tipped the rifle to the side, good for 60metres

My stutzens I have filed the rear out for more light and coloured the fore

if I had a Blazer with this request I would buy another barrel isn't that the idea of a Blazer

Hi, a bit off topic but interesting that you can shoot with varifocals - I find they "break up" the cross hairs in my scope. As a result I take my glasses off when shooting (distance vision is fairly OK)

if I had a Blazer with this request I would buy another barrel isn't that the idea of a Blaser

I'd agree with this. There are plenty of used R8 barrels around, and unless you're going on another driven trip in Jan/Feb', you have plenty of time to find something suitable.

I've just come back from 4 days driven in Hungary, and had the use of Orions (Graham) Merkel Helix, my R8, and Chapuis side by side. I used the Chapuis wherever possible, no scope, open sights, but never use them, just shoot it like a shotgun, for closer, tighter pegs, and it accounted for the 3 boar I shot, plus two Orion took.

For shot's where I had plenty of time, I'd pick the R8, and took a female Mouflon, but for more open, fast consecutive shots, I'd still take the Helix with 1-6x24 every time.

If you want to shoot open sight, or like a shotgun, then the rifle needs to pretty much fit you, Try closing your eyes before shouldering the rifle, shoulder the rifle, then open your eyes, and see how closely the sights line up. If they are pretty much lined up, you can just shoot intuitively at running game.

easy job for a smith to drill and tap for the blaser mounts which are pretty good open sights or you could buy other types if you prefare, I use skinners on my winchester and these are superb, they don't take any thinking about being a peep sight, hole at the back you just focus on the target or running animal once the fronts in the hole squeeze one off, they are very easy to use, or you could pick one from Recknagel here, atb wayne ps I prefare open sights in my driven hunting and tracking, nothing to go wrong and as simple as it gets, good luck
http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla/images/stories/Downloads/Recknagel_Zubehoerkatalog_9_Internet.pdf

there is no doubt they are harder at last light for deer stalking as your eyes give in early but for driven and good conditions it is nice to take one with them, for me working in close proximity to a hound it is a must to see both quarry and dog at all times

The only thing with open sights is to practice and practice. As said simple mounting to get the correct muscle memory for a proper sight alignment. Also "light up - sight up" and "light down - sight down" in that in good light you'll shoot to a different POI than in bad light.

I would go with a doctor, delta, leupold or similar 1-4x20 scope - very wide angle and you can shoot with both eyes open. Will be better than open sights, and cost probably similar by the time you have added open sights to a clean barrel. On driven hunts you do get opportunity to shoot at 60 to 100 yards and here scope comes into its own. Alternatively try a little Doctor red dot sight - but they are a love / hate thing.

With the R8 might be better to swap your current barrel or add say a 93x62 barrel with open sights specific for boar hunting - you can show due requirement.

Back