Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh buzzards

Angry Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh buzzards

Well after 3 virtually trouble free weeks of releasing the poults i get to one of my main pens yesterday to find two young buzzards fleeing the scene.

And the trail of destruction they left made me feel like throwning the towel in. I gathered over 50 dead poults, just pegged and carried to the field in front of the pen.

I havent seen buzzards do this for nearly 20 years, and i never want to see it again.

We used to hardly see one of them around here, now the worthless buggers are every where.

Bang goes my averages this year already.

not good mate,

we have two families of approx ten birds on two hundred acres.

lots of carcases and nothing we can do about it...

we get a mate out with his goshawk this tends to scare em off but lasts only for an hour or two

f.

Account Suspended
    Hang a load of cd's round ya pen
    I have buzzards and kites on my place and lose very few birds to them

cant do that in the open les.... birds just sit there waiting to be taken... where going to try the kite idea but it scares of the birds too... no win situation f.

I've put the rotating pigeon scarers with big eyes on one main pen post and 2 on the stubbles near the other big pens. Seems to be working so far. Will keep you posted. My heart sank when I saw 5 circling my main pen. I've lost about 50 too. Tin hat going on now. I'm in favour of a licensed targeted cull. They kill most when they come off roost. The young buzzards are the wanton killers. The older ones don't seem to bother.
    Last edited by Rowey; 26-08-2010 at 11:53. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Rowey View Post
    I'm in favour of a licensed targeted cull. They kill most when they come off roost. The young buzzards are the wanton killers. The older ones don't seem to bother.
    agreed a cull may be required and recall some conversations about this last year..
    they do seem to breed better than most birds of prey.. i believe they may have two broods but stand to be corrected...

f.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    cant do that in the open les.... birds just sit there waiting to be taken... where going to try the kite idea but it scares of the birds too... no win situation f.
    The op said they were being taken from his pen.
    I'm lucky where my pens are, as soon as a buzzard goe's over they all run onto the bank where the buzzard can't get them.
    The other thing I do is put a big plastic eagle owl on my corner posts

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerdog View Post
    Well after 3 virtually trouble free weeks of releasing the poults i get to one of my main pens yesterday to find two young buzzards fleeing the scene.

And the trail of destruction they left made me feel like throwning the towel in. I gathered over 50 dead poults, just pegged and carried to the field in front of the pen.

I havent seen buzzards do this for nearly 20 years, and i never want to see it again.

We used to hardly see one of them around here, now the worthless buggers are every where.

Bang goes my averages this year already.
    I haven't checked the law where you are CD. In Scotland you can apply for licence to deal with animals of protected species which cause serious economic loss. I'm not aware that anyone has been granted such a licence yet and every case I know of application has resulted in refusal... but the improtance of game shooting to rural communities is recognised. Buzzards can be/are a pest. Really, the way to get the authorities to grant licence, or get the law makers to change the law, is by lobbying them with the facts.... so do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I haven't checked the law where you are CD. In Scotland you can apply for licence to deal with animals of protected species which cause serious economic loss. I'm not aware that anyone has been granted such a licence yet and every case I know of application has resulted in refusal... but the improtance of game shooting to rural communities is recognised. Buzzards can be/are a pest. Really, the way to get the authorities to grant licence, or get the law makers to change the law, is by lobbying them with the facts.... so do it.
    photos always work at provoking a stir,

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Gutted for you. I would give BASC a call, I read an article about this recently from BASC. The law is exactly as stated by TAMUS but its rare if ever anyone ahs been granted permission to shoot them. BASC said somehting about the government relaxing this slightly to actually allow pople if it can be fully justified.