Thread: Wood Preservative

Account Suspended

Wood Preservative

I need to get hold of some decent wood preservative in the next couple of weeks as I need to treat a couple of high seats as per my terms of lease.

I appreciate creasote is the cheapest but no longer available as its a banned substance any recomendations? Must be reasonable in price.
    Thanks
    Stu

i got home base gear for 8.99 for 5 litres.

great stuff but if it rains it runs off

buy cheap buy twice

Recently did my shed with Cuprinol 'Ducks Back'. Not the cheapest but it covers very well, did 3 coats on a seven by five foot shed and I still have half a tin left. Very good at repelling the water and apparantly lasts for five years! (time will tell).

Depends on how enviormental you are. I use creostote mixed with old engine oil.....ive dug up fence posts 6 years old from ground and no signs of rot.

Stu, if you get a trade point card for B&Q ducksback is your best bet. 14.o4 for 9 litres. cheaper as CBS says washes off rapid. Tradepoint card saved me a fortune so far.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    I need to get hold of some decent wood preservative in the next couple of weeks as I need to treat a couple of high seats as per my terms of lease.

I appreciate creasote is the cheapest but no longer available as its a banned substance any recomendations? Must be reasonable in price.
    Thanks
    Stu
    Cresote is still readly available just not for general sale to the public. I still buy it in 25 ltr or 45 gallon drums .

I still use creasote all the time, great stuff if u can put up with the strong smell.
    You should be able to get hold of it at any GENERAL FARMERS SUPPLIES STORE in your area.
    IT goes under the name of BARTOLINE. (manufacturer)
    IF you cant get hold of it ask any farmer (friends)

Uncle Buck
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 26-08-2010 at 16:33.

Wood Preservative

Many years ago i used to work for Sovereign Chemicals - they have a great product called SX70 which comes in Spruce and any shade of timber you could want - they mostly supply directly to the trade but there used to be some retail distribution.

5ltrs isn't cheap but it goes along way and lasts for years..