A fantastic weekend with Mark Lovejoy at HCS deer services

Good morning all,

Thought I would try and give a nice detailed write up of my most recent trip down from Yorkshire to see my good mate Mark and of course Raffi his GSP in Henley on Thames, I go to see Mark once a year in the hope of stalking Muntjac and Fallow. The plan this time was to get some of my DSC level 2 stalks in the log. Having spoken to Mark on my way down to him we agreed to meet about 2PM at his and check the weather and formulate a plan. Weather checked we decided to head out for an evening sit in one of his many high seats in a small wood. We got into the seat for about 3 and proceeded to ait for a Muntjac or the small group of Fallow he saw during his reconnaissance earlier in the week. Whilst Mark scanned with the Thermal I used my new Meopta Meorange 10x 42 HD's to spot a Muntjac about 150 yards away. We hoped that we would come down the path to meet us allowing for a cleaner shot as there is a fair bit of bracken. as we waited Mark found some larger heat sources a fair distance away as I kept an avid eye on the Muntjac. As the light started to draw in the wood went quiet, I kept scanning but my Muntjac buck seemed to have hidden behind a tree. With that a fallow doe with follower came into around 100 yards from the seat but behind a large tree, I knocked the zoom down slightly on my Meopta Meostar R2 from 10x to 6x in anticipation of the shot. The follower stood broadside at 70 or so yards and I sent a 120Grain Norma Nosler BT 6.5 x 55 round on its way, it dropped on the spot with a hear lung shot. We waited for a few moments to let the wood settle, amazingly here were several Muntjac wandering around. I recovered / Inspected the carcass and performed a suspended gralloch. After loading the carcass into the truck we retired for a brew and plan for the morning.

After a decent nights sleep I got up dressed had a brew and decided together that we would head back tot he same wood, simply due to the huge amount of Muntjac present. I wrapped up extra warm as it was minus 3! After stalking into the seat I unloaded and we booth got up the seat and comfy, in the breaking light I scanned with the binoculars in the hope of spotting an early riser Muntjac, but I did not see a thing. I continued to scan with the binoculars and Mark with the Thermal, but saw nothing. A fair while later I spotted a decent looking Muntjac buck about 180 yards away, I waited for him to come closer whilst tracking through the binoculars he got to 120 yards I got my rifle and found him in the scope, he was sat in a finger of sunlight enjoying the warmth. Just before I removed the safety to take a shot I noticed a lot of overhanging branches in the way, I waited for him to step forward into a little clearing to take a nice clear shot, but alas he did not! Soon after we called it a day and decided a fry up and a brew to get us warmed up was a lot better than waiting in the seat.

Later that day we headed out again in search of Fallow this time, again after consulting Google maps and the weather reports we hatched a plan to cover both sides of a valley. Having set off early we scanned with binoculars and thermal at the bottom and saw signs of deer. Mark dropped me off as I was going top end and he was at Bottom end, we saw around 30 does in one field so it was promising. I stalked around the farm and made my way into the pasture field, stalking down the hedge I saw a huge number of Fallow slots it was like a motorway! Having got to around 300 yards of the boundary I waited with my rifle on my Primos trigger sticks having left the viper flexes in the car, I kept scanning and saw a decent group of Fallow bucks in the distance, they had a good rattle which was amazing to see, a small group of 3 does came close to the fence and the stalk was on, the first one came over the fence then 2 more , I decided I had to crawl in to get a safe shot, I knocked off around 150 yards to the doe and got my Spartan from my pocket, hoping for a quick shot but as the ground fell away I could see nothing. I continued my crawl and knocked another 50 yards off, got settled on the bipod and waited. Unseen by me I must have really annoyed a muntjac buck who barked his head off close to me. 2 of the does went straight back over the boundary, leaving one mature doe on her own. She was looking in the direction of the noise about 80 yards away so I took a perfect high neck shot, she dropped on the spot! Rather excitedly I radioed Mark who asked me to drag her across for extraction by the truck and Gralloch.... I wished I had packed my drag rope! Gralloch done on the back of the truck and time to head back for a shower then a pint and bite to eat.

Next morning I hit my favourite wood solo and sat in the seat. Kept scanning for sign of life but saw next to nothing at first light saw a roe and follower I waited for them to come to a clearing , I took the follower first then the doe at 150 yards both spot on heart lung shots. I walked dover confirmed death and started to do the gralloch prep on the floor. I suspended the first larger doe using my Napier tree hugger and did the necessary, sadly / stupidly I took the tip of my finger off with my swingblade by rushing. I used my first aid kit from my roe sack and dressed the wound. Lesson learnt!!!! Mark picked me up and we loaded the carcass into the truck, he had some success on the muntjac taking a doe and a young buck but the buck had run on, Mark and Raffi tracked the buck but couldn't find it but decided to wait so we both went to follow up the buck from the opposite direction, with great success Raffi found it about 10 yards from where he lost the trail first time round. On the Sunday Mark and I went to the small wood and sat together, I reflected on the amazing time I always have down here thinking about doing this write up. We saw a Muntjac doe with her tiny fawn but decided to leave them be.

In conclusion I hope all of you will carry a first aid kit for such situations, I would like to thank Mark for a cracking time and some fabulous stalking as always. Kit wise I really love my Javelin Bipod and Viper flex sticks, my optics performed really well. Sadly I now have to budget for a thermal imager its use in tracking beast for me outweighs the cost.

Admin if it is an issue please delete the link but I would hope not the thread.

All the best for Christmas and the New year

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, my finger was super glued on and is healing rather well for a DIY job. Still not got 100% feeling back in it but I hope to!
leviGSP I cannot find an issue with the link it could be your anti virus software causing the issue?

Back