Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC for a flat

FAC for a flat

Is it worth applying for an FAC when i live in a ground floor flat? I have one neighbour above and two next door (ground and first floor), good area low crime rate. Will a firearms officer just say no? I read something about properties that are overlooked. Any opinions will be well recieved

Go for it, provided you don't have a front door made out of plywood, I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Make sure the good reason is all in order, the gun cabinet is secured out of sight to casual visitors, and that should be that.

The first application's the nerve racking one!

I have a good job, permission on a shoot in dumfries, no medical history, no criminal record and two experienced stalkers with open FAC's that will give me a ref. Doing the DSC1 in November all being well.

The other thing, I have a cupboard off the hall for the boiler ect which is ideal but the cabinet will have to be fixed to the floor. Brattonsound do riifle cabinets with floor fixing options on. Can you see any problems there?

I suppose it's open to interpretation, they want FAC holders to take reasonable precautions to prevent firearms falling into the wrong hands.

More info here:

www.herts.police.uk/firearms_licensing/security.htm

No. Good luck, they will probably chat/interview you for some time - just to make sure you are are reasonably safe to be allowed to be in control of a firearm, so no flippant jokes about incorrector inappropriate use of firearms.

If you are not a member of a large shooting organisation then join one. I would reccommend the BASC as you appear to be a newcomer to the sport and BASC have a service for members which will guide you through the whole process explaining the application forms, what the law requires and the best way to present the factual information you have to provide to the police. They will also guide you as to what information you are not required to provide and will probably know the attitudes and practices of your local police authority.

Good luck and remember that if all of the guys on here have FAC's then you probably stand a good chance as well.

ATB

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by andibrains View Post
    Is it worth applying for an FAC when i live in a ground floor flat? I have one neighbour above and two next door (ground and first floor), good area low crime rate. Will a firearms officer just say no? I read something about properties that are overlooked. Any opinions will be well recieved
    i cant say that i have ever heard of an fac been turned down because of your house ???
    have you and if so where just to put things in perspective..

atb f.

I live in a one room ground floor 'apartment' or whatever you want to call it.
    I have never had a problem with either my FAC or SGC, if the safe is out of sight to casual visitors and is secure you will be ok.
    My safes have 4 bolts into the concrete floor, and 2 coach screws into the wall.
    The wall is only pasterboard so I let a 2x2 batten in to give the screws something to get a grip in.

Neil.

Neil.

When I was single and living in a 1 bedroom flat, I had a couple of rifle cabinets under the bed, screwed to the floor, being a converted flat, all the walls were plasterboard and it wouldn't have been practical to secure them anywhere else.

Shouldn't be a problem - some FEO's may suggest putting locks on the windows (if they don't lock already). As regards plasterboard walls - I just used a stud detector to find the joists behind the plasterboard and used extra long screws to fix the safe to them.

When I moved, I just filled the holes with pollyfilla and painted over carefully and Robert is your mothers brother.