FAC for a flat

andibrains

Is it worth applying for an FAC when i live in a ground floor flat? I have one neighbour above and two next door (ground and first floor), good area low crime rate. Will a firearms officer just say no? I read something about properties that are overlooked. Any opinions will be well recieved

Go for it, provided you don't have a front door made out of plywood, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Make sure the good reason is all in order, the gun cabinet is secured out of sight to casual visitors, and that should be that.

:thumb:

The first application's the nerve racking one! :scared:

I have a good job, permission on a shoot in dumfries, no medical history, no criminal record and two experienced stalkers with open FAC's that will give me a ref. Doing the DSC1 in November all being well.

The other thing, I have a cupboard off the hall for the boiler ect which is ideal but the cabinet will have to be fixed to the floor. Brattonsound do riifle cabinets with floor fixing options on. Can you see any problems there?

No. Good luck, they will probably chat/interview you for some time - just to make sure you are are reasonably safe to be allowed to be in control of a firearm, so no flippant jokes about incorrector inappropriate use of firearms.

If you are not a member of a large shooting organisation then join one. I would reccommend the BASC as you appear to be a newcomer to the sport and BASC have a service for members which will guide you through the whole process explaining the application forms, what the law requires and the best way to present the factual information you have to provide to the police. They will also guide you as to what information you are not required to provide and will probably know the attitudes and practices of your local police authority.

Good luck and remember that if all of the guys on here have FAC's then you probably stand a good chance as well.

ATB

Bob

Is it worth applying for an FAC when i live in a ground floor flat? I have one neighbour above and two next door (ground and first floor), good area low crime rate. Will a firearms officer just say no? I read something about properties that are overlooked. Any opinions will be well recieved

i cant say that i have ever heard of an fac been turned down because of your house ???
have you and if so where just to put things in perspective..

atb f.

I live in a one room ground floor 'apartment' or whatever you want to call it.
I have never had a problem with either my FAC or SGC, if the safe is out of sight to casual visitors and is secure you will be ok.
My safes have 4 bolts into the concrete floor, and 2 coach screws into the wall.
The wall is only pasterboard so I let a 2x2 batten in to give the screws something to get a grip in.

Neil. :)

Neil.

When I was single and living in a 1 bedroom flat, I had a couple of rifle cabinets under the bed, screwed to the floor, being a converted flat, all the walls were plasterboard and it wouldn't have been practical to secure them anywhere else.

Shouldn't be a problem - some FEO's may suggest putting locks on the windows (if they don't lock already). As regards plasterboard walls - I just used a stud detector to find the joists behind the plasterboard and used extra long screws to fix the safe to them.

When I moved, I just filled the holes with pollyfilla and painted over carefully and Robert is your mothers brother.

for what its worth

I applied for my FAC last year when I was living in a new build ground floor flat and I don't recall the issue ever coming up. The doors and windows where all secure and the cabinet was fixed to the fabric of the building and inside a built in wardrobe...

As said, no harm in asking. If the plod think your security is in need up upping they'll tell you, it's supposed to be part of the service.:)

there never has been a refusal for the type of house you live in that i am aware of..
you have no worries.

caravans huts and log cabins are different as too who lives with you.

Live in a first floor flat in the middle of town and have never had an issue. Many of my neighbours are also shooters and deerstalkers and they have never had an issue either. The police are much more looking at you, your reasons for wanting an FAC and whether you are a decent honest person of sound mind.

I see no reason why you should not be given your FAC. it's no big deal, their are plenty of FAC's live in flats.
They will be more interested in YOUR BACKGROUND rather than where you live (not forgetting your partners
background aswell if you have one !!!
See no problems

ATB. Uncle Buck.

I have a good job, permission on a shoot in dumfries, no medical history, no criminal record and two experienced stalkers with open FAC's that will give me a ref. Doing the DSC1 in November all being well.

The other thing, I have a cupboard off the hall for the boiler ect which is ideal but the cabinet will have to be fixed to the floor. Brattonsound do riifle cabinets with floor fixing options on. Can you see any problems there?

In one of my houses I had the cabinet bolted to the floor, the general interpretation is that it should bolted to the fabric of the property but floor joists seem to be OK provided the bolts are inside the cabinet and inaccessible from outside.

Back