Educational trailer.

Should the trailer /film show bad shots.(it has to do to be educational)

• Total voters

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
following on from my thread please cast a vote.

YES the video will be good educational good and bad shots.

NO the video should show no bad shots or be published.

i voted yes as also new to this and would like to see good and bad to hopefully learn from them in the future all the best,wayne

I voted No for a simple reason
If you are going to do a compilation for education then good shots and good practice should be the main issuse,
but by all means do a follow up DVD of bad shots and bad practice which could be used in conjunction with this
as some times I find mixed DVD's are often hard to take in the full context of what they are meant to acheive
ATB

Im new to stalking ( havent been yet ) so yes show bad shots and explain why every one should practice every chance they get. But you could has stone points out do two vids good and bad.

Steve.............

Could I make a suggestion that you do a split screen with good shot on top and bad shot on the bottom (or side by side) with a single watermark that extends across both images. I know that it would be difficult marrying up the sequences - perhaps use the timing of the shot? The viewer may have to rewind and watch it a few times to take in the information from each on screen element but if the DVD is compiled so each shot is a separate chapter it would only be a single click to go back to the start of each shot (and make using it as a training video easier).

I will abstain from voting as my concern is that the 'bad shots' would be used by others for their own propaganda purposes, and do more damage than good to the sport, unless a way is found to stop this. (That would be my 'No' vote). You could always put a hugely ridiculous fee clause, for reproducing any of the DVD content for anti shooting purposes, in the initial DVD licensing screen.... Any lawyers out there that could advise?

Apart from that the content would be fantastic for recreational stalkers like me, and I'd love to see the end result (That would be my 'yes' vote)

Mel

Last edited:
Havent voted cause I'm not to sure the choices are great. If one was make it with only good shots then my vote would be yes. But it would have to be a no for them both combined. My reason would be that to show the bad to those with a genuine interest in stalking is one thing and they would in most cases like to see something like that. But in that sense we are preaching to those already converted. The use the antis would put something like that to would just make our lives harder to justify wihout some bloody mob or other saying that we need more courses etc etc or even worse limiting the or reducing the amount of people who can stalk. Maybe I'm a bit of a doom merchant but nothing has happened in the recent past to make stalking easier to get into. The more ammo with give our opponents the harder it will be.

Many thanks.
Would
centralbeltstalker
cookingfat
tell me why they are against an educational video showing bad shots.
P.m. me if you like

Thanks for nameing naming me!! dont think you realy worried what i think, you could of pm'd me and asked

As for why, I think you should be showing a compilation of good clean shots and maybe a few shots that have gone wrong, not just a DVD of all bad shots.
If you are trying to Educate new comers to the sport i dont think they need to be watching a DVD of what can go wrong, trouble is we have all forgot what its like to shoot your first deer and how much pressure is on us at that time, and the more we shoot the more that first shot is forgotten.

Anthony

Much of the american DVD that does the same job as this proposed dvd is just shots from differing angles. Lets be honest if any one shoots for long enough they will hear the pop of a shot that hits behind the diphram. Just hope for your sake and the sake of the deer it is a liver shot!!

Dave

Well once someone said click on the number anyone could see you cooking fat.:doh:
As to answer the others coments.
The video was going to be a video on roe deer with a chapter on good shooting and typical reactions(in which deer still often run a short way)(shocking to some ,but this is following BEST PACTICE)and a chapter on stray shots(called rather than bad shooting).
Eveyone knows as humans (not robots) even we fook up and it should be a plus that we are trying to police ourselves and train on the ground of others mistakes must be good.
Rally drivers crash cars and horse riders break horses legs jumping these examples are on film and anyone showing film of these to try and ban an event would be laughed at.
Surely if packaged as an educational vid and backed marketed by an official body it should be recieved in its correct context

Without knowing how 'bad' the bad shots are, if there was a third option 'publish but without the bad shots' I think I'd go for that.

I can see the value in including them, but I can also see a lot of potential damage, deliberate misrepresentation etc. but whatever you do, I stick by my original advice which is get some opinions from BASC and the like.

If only there was a way of making sure the 'warts and all' version was only supplied to genuine stalkers I think a lot of the concerns would disappear!

Alex

Good post CSL and thats the way i feel if you show some of your videos that are on you tube or similar you will be hannerd by the antis and also the perfectionists. Some look very un safe and i know the camera lies and you can tell us that the shooter was higher etc etc but what you show will be what people believe. I know i have cringed my self at some of the vids that have been took one was called the buck of my life and was shot in the rear you could see the aniimal go down at it s back end and it looks bad real bad to any one that stalks deer in a profesional manner .How will it look to joe the public. We dont need any needless bad press.

Without knowing how 'bad' the bad shots are, if there was a third option 'publish but without the bad shots' I think I'd go for that.

I can see the value in including them, but I can also see a lot of potential damage, deliberate misrepresentation etc. but whatever you do, I stick by my original advice which is get some opinions from BASC and the like.

If only there was a way of making sure the 'warts and all' version was only supplied to genuine stalkers I think a lot of the concerns would disappear!

Alex

CSL,

I feel 100% the same about releasing "bad" shots.

Some will benefit by publishing such shots, more will be offended, with bad press as a result.

I have watched the link you put up yesterday and a few of your ones on you tube, and I think the video is a great idea showing warts and all. My only comment would be, rather than use the soundtrack which was shot at the time, it would serve to record a piece giving detail of where the shot was placed, whether it was as intended, etc. Just my opinion.

Regards

Hugh

+1 with csl

Third option needed in the poll

Publish but dont show bad shots, describe them by all means and even include animations of what happens when a deer is badly shot, but dont give the antis any more ammo.

Sometimes less is best

Some look very un safe and i know the camera lies

Well if you think I would allow anyone to take an unsafe shot than more fool you.(not after a confrontation but just defending my corner).
And then further more publish a video showing this??????????
Anyway the camera can lie.
It often shows a deer react "wrong" for impact yet I gralloched the animal and "experts" argue the toss that the deer wasn't shot in such a way:eek:
So on (all of you)to your concerns about badly placed shots going public?? God we all make them if we shoot at enough deer. And showing how a beast reacts for training purposes can surley only be a good thing.
Chainsaw courses show nasty wounds were saws have been miss handled...Does the public scream should be banned??.
This trailer would be on the end of a "deer video" to show in an education way "whats gone wrong".
I understand these videos will and have been misinterpreted by some of you and have now become accustomed to such coments as above.
But for those that see them as they are meant to be portrayed then they offer some entertainment and education.(and that is what matters to me).
22+ years in the field stalking alone or in company and nearly 300 outings this year already and NO ACCIDENTS.(more than many of you will do in 10 years)(unsafe my arse).

The 3rd option is not an option as I publish a video for clients(free) and others at the end of the year showing only the good anyway this year will be vol.3.
So I will not do anything any differnt to the usual, unless I add or allow(to be added to someone elses DVD) the "bad shots" educational film.

Last edited:
Hello John,

I totally see the benefit of these videos.
My comments about not giving ammo to the anti's is based on experience. Show a human harming itself or another human and the antis dont give a toss, show a pesky wasp being swatted away and they're up in arms starting the 'anti repulsive swatting education society', funded by the national lottery no doubt.
Its unfortunate that todays society of political correctness gone mad should even allow thoughts about the appropriateness of such a training video to enter our heads but this is the world we live in.

Was it Hugh Heffner issued the first educational video in the UK? Interesting any such future videos were banned in the UK :)

Back