Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucks on ebay

Bucks on ebay

I was on ebay for a snoop and i seen a few roe heads for sale they said the were ROWLAND WARD class never really heard of this can any one else shed light on this type of trophy.

I think they are possibly refering to the level of workmanship.
    Roland Ward was a renowned taxidermist ( for his work on large game trophies )

Uncle Buck

6Pointer.
    Rowland Ward was a London taxidermist of repute and was renowned for his work on anything from Africa. The bigger the better. I believe some of his work is in the Powell-Cotton museum in Kent.

His work tends to command high prices at auction. Anyone who was time served with RW always mentions it on their CV.

I have seen two examples of his work and it was pretty good.

Rowland Ward was/is responsible for publishing a book on antler dimensions and weights, and they have their own antler measureing criteria which is understood world wide (similar to Boone and Crockett in the USA). Rowland Ward scale is more frequently used on african game than UK species, however in order to qualify as a 'Rowland Ward' trophy it has to have a minimum antler length amongst other things ( sorry but a bit vague to exactly what 'other things') . The bloke on e-bay sells a lot of various trophys from all around the world and always quotes most of them as qualifying to be 'Rowland Ward' standard trophies, however having seen the pictures most RW trophies that I have seen for sale dont even look as good as CIC bronze standard.

Happy e-baying

Lakey

Thanks lads that clears that up then some one just promoting his **** antlers with a fella of good standing That happens alot if your trying to bump up the prices to the less knowlagable public.

For the ones that didnt know what i was talking about.ROWLAND WARD CLASS ROE DEER ANTLERS 384 GRAMMS on eBay (end time 28-Aug-10 21:01:30 BST)

Lakey is pretty spot on with Rowland Ward. I have the Rowland Ward "Records of Big Game" and it is a pretty boring read, just lists of various animals and points with very few photographs and no back up information. The system of measurement is largely based on length very much like the Safari Club system. I much prefer the Boone and Crockett system in the States (Pope & Young for bows) and the CIC which is the only system that gives much consideration to beauty although the B&C system drops anything that looks odd into a "non-typical" category. It might well be the case that the current UK red record might be classed as "non-typical" under the B&C system although it would be marginal.

This particular Rowland Ward trophy looks rubbish to me and would score very low on the CIC scale having no great mass and only four points. A four point trophy would have to be very heavy and long to score well on the CIC system but this one's only merit would seem to be length. The weight quoted may not be much help as there seems to be too much skull on the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Thanks lads that clears that up then some one just promoting his **** antlers with a fella of good standing That happens alot if your trying to bump up the prices to the less knowlagable public.

For the ones that didnt know what i was talking about.ROWLAND WARD CLASS ROE DEER ANTLERS 384 GRAMMS on eBay (end time 28-Aug-10 21:01:30 BST)
    Maybe bother finding out more about Rowland Ward before slagging a very nice chap off.Instead of being ignorant and miss calling him,i suggest a bit of education.To qualify as a Rowland Ward head,it must be of a minimum length,i believe it is 9 7/8 inches.If qualified,it can be entered into the Rowland Ward book.The lad that sells them is very educated in many aspects of deer and other species,and im sure if you had asked him yourself you wouldnt look such a tool right now.

sako751sg - is correct regarding the Rowland Ward minimum for entry into the record books and also regarding the seller on ebay. I have myself bought heads form this seller (she), a nice silver and a gold and she knows more about heads than I ever will.....

First of all i did not slag rowland ward off and i stand corrected to the seller on ebay. The rowland ward system is new to me and i am sure most on here. Ebay has many many sellers that will use anytihng to sell there products. So can some one tell me how you would you use the Rowland ward system and is it beter or worse than the CIC for Roe deer.

Worse (or rather poorer) than the CIC system, 6 pointer - it has more to do with length and number of points rather than the more informed CIC formula...