Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Munty,s

Munty,s

has any body seen munty,s in the north of england because i think i'm cracking up as i,ve been seeing things

Most munties are below a line drawn from the Humber to the Wirral but there are munties in a couple of locations in both the NW and NE. Go to the BDS site and look at the distribution map to see that there are a couple of squares between Middlesbrough and Newcastle and a couple more around Bishops Auckland. In the NW there a some around Carlisle that have been there for quite a while, a few in the Workington/Whitehaven area and a few more in the southern Lakes SW of Kendal.

Quote Originally Posted by dully1963 View Post
    has any body seen munty,s in the north of england because i think i'm cracking up as i,ve been seeing things
    Alright mate, course you is not cracking up, but what you need is confirmed sightings of them coming up north. Now I can confirm I see munties all the time, hitchhiking on the northbound side of the A19. Earlier today on my way back from the Smoke I saw one thumbing it, his board said he wanted to get to the Easington area, thats the only strange thing. Why Easington ?

The Muntie continues to march north.

I believe there are a few enclaves of Muntjack in the North caused by the dog men going down south and catching them then bringing them back up and releasing them for their future sport!!

Dave

time they took some up my way.

Ive never had so much fun with my pants on!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Lightbulb Dog men bringing up Muntjac

I have previously been involved with long netting hares, they needed to be transported in boxes, the stress they suffered was great.
    I struggle with the concept of catching muntjack with lurchers, transporting them in something, and releasing them in the north ?
    Any deer I have been involved with caught up in wire / snares succumb very quickly to stress.
    The stress of being caught by lurchers and stress induced by road transport would see them off surely.
    Could they not have migrated naturally around the Humber and keep heading north ?

Regards
    Ian

I was told it was not so much dog men coming south to catch Muntjac for relocation, more like gamekeepers in the south selling live muntjac to lads from the north. Evidently they are suckers for squeezing into pheasant catchers baited with a bit of maize and a few beans .

I found this interesting article whilst trawling the net:

http://the-vasculum.com/vol93/Muntjac.doc
    Last edited by mudman; 28-08-2010 at 06:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    I have previously been involved with long netting hares, they needed to be transported in boxes, the stress they suffered was great.
    I struggle with the concept of catching muntjack with lurchers, transporting them in something, and releasing them in the north ?
    Any deer I have been involved with caught up in wire / snares succumb very quickly to stress.
    The stress of being caught by lurchers and stress induced by road transport would see them off surely.
    Could they not have migrated naturally around the Humber and keep heading north ?

Regards
    Ian
    The problem is that with so many muntjac populations (and roe) there is no obvious line of expansion from established populations. There's suddenly deer popping up miles from the nearest population and it has to be suspected that they had the helping hand of Ivor Williams!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post

Regards
    Ian
    Ian, don't forget that deer a naturally prey animals, for them chase and escape, fight and flight, live and die, are all in an average working day. I am not for one minute condoning the actions of the criminals that pursue deer with dogs but just saying don't underestimate a deers resilience. Also, there are many ways of catching small deer like muntjac without using dogs, your example of fox wires is a prime one. JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Ian, don't forget that deer a naturally prey animals, for them chase and escape, fight and flight, live and die, are all in an average working day. I am not for one minute condoning the actions of the criminals that pursue deer with dogs but just saying don't underestimate a deers resilience. Also, there are many ways of catching small deer like muntjac without using dogs, your example of fox wires is a prime one. JC
    Hi JC275
    My experiance with roe is that they die very quickly in a snare, i believe due to stress rather than strangulation.
    I have no experiance with muntjac in snares, are you confirming that they dont die from stress very quickly, and that these criminals are able to move them about the UK
    If we are beginning to see very isolated ones up here in north yorkshire, what would things look like in 5years and then in 10years from your experiance

Regards Ian
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe