Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What will come of Cumbria?

What will come of Cumbria?

There's now a select committee deciding what changes need to be made regarding the legal ownership of firearms. Since the last two awful tradegys involving legally owned firearms, we have seen ceartain types of firearms banned, and even stricter controls implemented. I personally think that are gun laws are strict enough, even draconion in some ways, however I now fear even tighter, more pointless laws are going to be passed.

We even have idiots within our own ranks saying they are willing to concede to changes

Some of the suggestions made by the anti-gun lobby:
    All semi-automatic weapons banned
    Phycology tests for gun owners every year
    Renewal every three years(some say 6 months)
    Ammo to be stored at police station
    All shotguns section 1
    A scheme which allows the community to know where all local gun owners live.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Joshua; 28-08-2010 at 11:16.

The one thing that they could do that would be good (I think?) would be to do away with regional Firearms Licencing and create a central agency a bit like DVLA. It may not be perfect but, hopefully, it would see an end to the various numpty FEO's making the rules up as they go along. I fear that you could be right on tighter legeslation on semi-auto .22lr's and SGC's getting closer to FAC's. JC

The Home Office (and ACPO) have been after getting shotguns on to section 1 for many years. The draft of the new Firearms Act that was proposed last year had all shotguns as section one. It did open up 17HMR as "rimfire" though, which would allow semi auto's to be held. It also did away with ammunition "allowances" and just had a "weight" allowance for ammunition instead ie allowed to hold 10KG. The requirement for an RCA for black powder was also to be binned. The HSE were the main people behind the last proposal, as they are fed up of dealing with RCA documents. One of the biggest changes was to "group" calibres together. So, instead of being allowed a .308 or a 30-06, you would be authorized to purchaxe 1 x .30 calibre rifle.
    I expect these changes to be at the centre of any new rules and regs, law changes etc, but suspect we can now wave goodbye to the 17HMR semi-auto's

Quote Originally Posted by manc-munsters View Post
    but suspect we can now wave goodbye to the 17HMR semi-auto's
    How do we wave good bye to something we have never had

Neil.

.17 semi auto ??? i thought it was just .22lr??

I don't want to have to renew every year, or even go for some kind of pointless test. They should stop treating us like criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by steyr View Post
    .17 semi auto ??? i thought it was just .22lr??
    Yup, .22 rimfire only, although that does include WMR

Neil.

The law doesn't need changing. However, I do feel that the FLD's need a kick up the backside.....

Clarification would be a start... too many grey areas and discrepancy causing confusion. They need to write a set of rules in black and white and stick to them, so we all know where we stand instead of the postcode lottery that we have now.

Take the onus of species welfare and lawful quarry away from FLD's so that they can concentrate their efforts on whether applicants are considered suitable to own firearms.... Too much time is spent fannying around with conditions and restrictions, it's like "yes you can have a c/f rifle and 250 rounds of ammo no problem but you can only shoot foxes and not rabbits"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Yup, .22 rimfire only, although that does include WMR

Neil.
    no wmr even!! only .22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    The law doesn't need changing. However, I do feel that the FLD's need a kick up the backside.....

Clarification would be a start... too many grey areas and discrepancy causing confusion. They need to write a set of rules in black and white and stick to them, so we all know where we stand instead of the postcode lottery that we have now.

Take the onus of species welfare and lawful quarry away from FLD's so that they can concentrate their efforts on whether applicants are considered suitable to own firearms.... Too much time is spent fannying around with conditions and restrictions, it's like "yes you can have a c/f rifle and 250 rounds of ammo no problem but you can only shoot foxes and not rabbits"
    Spot on. JC