Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on completing DCS level 1 or something similar ?

Your thoughts on completing DCS level 1 or something similar ?

Hi
    Ive been out and about with the rifle for a few years now, I was of the opinion that I didnt need to take any formal qualifications.
    I am starting to re-think, perhaps it would be a good thing.
    I would be interested in your thougths and insight into what it would give me.
    Do you guys feel they present value for money.
    Also any recomendations of this or other similar courses.
    Regards Ian
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

my thoughts on the dsc1 was the same as yours,but i thought ide give it a go...what i got out of it was a great time and i met some good people too,i also learnt allot more than i already knew.it also opens a lot more doors for you! and Werther we like it or not i can see it being compulsory for a fac holder to be "properly trained" in one way or another at some point! (unless we loose them due to this stupid review)

Truffleh,

You are correct, you don't HAVE TO have any formal qualifications as long as you are not introducing venison into the food chain. Included in the DSC1 course is the food hygiene certificate which does allow you to sell the carcass on (and into the food chain).

However, some stalking venues insist on DSC1 and some DSC2. A formal training certificate also shows plod that you are serious about deer management work and will almost certainly help if you want additional firearms/variations etc.

All training is in my belief a good thing plus I also think that at some time in the future DSC1 will be a legal requirement if you want to hold a firearm to cull deer.

BASC is in my opinion as good as anyone else out there running DSC1

IMHO

Rocky
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple

DSC1 and 2 will increase your knowledge about deer stalking and the various species. It will open more opportunities both now and more especially in the future.

There is an element of 'paperwork exercise' regarding the respective certificates but then the same could be said about your driving license.

If only for the food hygiene certificate and learning the major diseases of deer and how to recognise them, it's worth taking the DSC1.

There are many people who run courses, having done my DSC1 with the BDS which was over four days, I do wonder at how some companies manage to fit everything in in less time? I thoroughly enjoyed my course and met some great folks.

To get some stalking locally I am going to have to complete my DSC2, as it is a requirement of the people who run the woodland. I think this is going to become more common as we live in an ever more litigious society.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

To get some stalking locally I am going to have to complete my DSC2, as it is a requirement of the people who run the woodland. I think this is going to become more common as we live in an ever more litigious society.
    Hmm I would change that to a greedy society and a pass the buck society. They see the certificate as away of palming any flack off onto soemone else.. Oh but they had official training and a certificate .

Above all else (legitimacy of qualifications and their requirement etc etc..., all of which has had a lot of airtime on this forum) you will enjoy doing your level I. Or I should say, if you have an obsesive interest in deer (as tends to afflict most stalkers) you should enjoy it. We should all strive to absorb as much knowledge as we can about our passion, and, doing your level I may surprise you, even if you regard yourself as an experienced stalker.
    As mentioned above you are bound to meet other interesting individuals and colourful characters, some good and some not. Forget the value for money thing and get it booked. As I see you are in N Yorks, do it with the BDS. Vince and Robert run courses frequently and I guarantee you will have an enjoyable time!.
    ATB
    S.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    i think its essential as some of the thicko's on here and questions they ask, threads they post, and replys to threads etc, im a thinkin its a very good thing any qualification this day & age is essential . . . lets look at level dmq 1 for example marksmanship, safety, deer identification etc christ i think some people on here couldnt tell the difrence between a muntjac and a bloody monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calmac View Post
    i think its essential as some of the thicko's on here and questions they ask, threads they post, and replys to threads etc, im a thinkin its a very good thing any qualification this day & age is essential . . . lets look at level dmq 1 for example marksmanship, safety, deer identification etc christ i think some people on here couldnt tell the difrence between a muntjac and a bloody monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice reply calmac..

Really encouraging for those lacking in experience to post, take part in and enjoy the site..

+1 for the qualifications - thoroughly enjoyed my level 1+2 and made some great friends along the way

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I would encourage level 1 and 2 its a good basis to learn and progress,the certificates,experience you achieve will come in very handy for ground to stalk on