Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dog or scope

dog or scope

good question

most stalkers say that you should buy the best scope that you can buy ? 1,000 2,000 but when you take that shot and the deer runs what does your scope do then? it is a fact that most deer shot at are hit, so the next best thing is a dog but which one? I had a friend from Belgium that is a ranger shot a Sika 5 of us looked at the shot site and could not see a thing my dog was very slow smelling but did her turn and walked into a block of wood, the ranger said yes that is the way the deer went I was pleased that my dog was alot slower than normal going into the block of wood for those that have shot in Scotland will know what I mean, after 60 mtr my dog did her impression of a wolf which was the point of finding the gut shot deer that had turned his gut leaving very little scent, this dog was a bavarian, so which is the best a sight or a dog? or is it best to have both if you shoot alot.

It is best to take shots at a sensible distance even if you have a dog and a top range scope.
    The top scope will not help you if you make a cock-up but the dog might.
    A German friend who worked in Co.Wicklow, Ireland had a rough-haired Teckle called Vasti who found many a Sika which otherwise would have been lost. In those bad old days we were compelled to use .22cf rifles only, due to perverse legislation.
    I have shot many Deer over the last 49 years and never had a dog for Deer but I never was a long-range trick shooter and over here always used a largish calibre rifle [.270 ,7mm and .30-06] and my shot placement was good.

HWH.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    who can answer this question??????????? only you mate, not many dogs cost between 1000 & 2000 but its always nice to have a quality swarovski or s&b etc etc, only you know your bank balance and only you know if you have the room for a dog in your life... remember a dog is for life not just for christmas!! what id do is nuy the scope 1st and think about a dog over next few weeks as its a big commitment having a dog at least you wont have to clean your scopes crap of the rug....
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin willis View Post
    good question

most stalkers say that you should buy the best scope that you can buy ? 1,000 2,000 but when you take that shot and the deer runs what does your scope do then? it is a fact that most deer shot at are hit, so the next best thing is a dog but which one? I had a friend from Belgium that is a ranger shot a Sika 5 of us looked at the shot site and could not see a thing my dog was very slow smelling but did her turn and walked into a block of wood, the ranger said yes that is the way the deer went I was pleased that my dog was alot slower than normal going into the block of wood for those that have shot in Scotland will know what I mean, after 60 mtr my dog did her impression of a wolf which was the point of finding the gut shot deer that had turned his gut leaving very little scent, this dog was a bavarian, so which is the best a sight or a dog? or is it best to have both if you shoot alot.

I cannot afford either... none of my scopes cost anywhere near that amount. The most expensive I believe was the new S&B 6x42 and that was some years back now.

I have a nice variable S&B and IOR and there is no doubt I shoot better groups on paper than I did when I had a Tasco but to be honest I could shoot sub inch at 100m with the Tasco. I would doubt I have shot 1 more deer each year (normaly shoot 20-30 per year) since I have been using high end scopes.

If I had to choose a high end scope and no dog or a middle of the range scope (better than the Tasco I had) and a dog. I would choose to have the dog and midranged scope.

Each to their own though.

Dave

Not forgetting what a dog is going to cost you over its lifetime enough to buy quite a few top end scopes me thinks,personally i wouldn't be without either but a dog is going to be a real commitment,mines a large munsterlander sometimes wish i'd got something a bit more compact but he's a beut.
    Neil.
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 29-08-2010 at 07:10.

A dog is going to cost at least 2500 to 3000 over it's lifetime.

I have done reasonably OK without a deer dog for the past 10-12 years, though I don't shoot many deer per year, never more than 10. During that time I have a couple of GSP's for rough shooting which were occasionally used for trailling, which they did successfully. However, I have been doing a bit more stalking this past couple of years, particularly Sika, I have come to think a dog is very desireable if not absolutely necessary.

Most of us would not think of rough shooting or wildfowling without a good dog. Anyway, I acquired a GSP pup a few months ago, hopefully he will be stalking with me from next year onwards. I find it no burden to keep a dog or two.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

You don't need to spend 1,000-2,000 on a stalking scope. You're being fooled by the propaganda machine and the optics companies marketing. How far do you really expect to shoot when stalking - 100-400yds? A quality 6x42 or 8x56 will handle that easily.If you really must have a variable mag then a 3-9 will be all you need. Even in the army the scopes on our rifles paled in comparission to some of the ridiculous mags on scopes commonly mounted on stalking rifles today. Who the hell needs far less uses a 20-25x mag ?

You can own both a quality scope and dog with money to spare.

dog, can't find runners in the rough without them. A low end scope still does well on deer at sensible distances. I shot my first 10 odd deer with 6x40 tasco that cost about 60.