Stalking / Hunting Vehicles

While visiting a mate today for a bit of moral support after health problems, I was compelled to take a photo of his nice blue Hilux V6 in the driveway, having a love in with mine. I say Bob, what's that rotting away in the corner? What's that you say? Kept breaking down so I bought a Toyota? Ah, I see.

View attachment 92956

OK. I'll make a confession. Just a wee one. That old 90 is a V8 3500cc, can't remember the year, early 80s. It was lovingly looked after for many years, but just kept on conking out at highly inconvenient moments, as they do. So it got replaced by a Toyota, a sensible decision. But, the old Landy is actually quite a desirable truck, if I was feeling brave and a bit naive and up for a long haul of frustration, I might just buy it.

Go on, you know you want to...

Go on, you know you want to...

I kind of do want to. A reliable (hah!) 90 kept down at the hunting block would be an asset. There's an early 80s HJ47 (?) on the neighbour's block that has been very useful in the past but that's been removed for a full restoration by his son. So now we're limited to quads and Polaris / CanAm type ATVs, which are great but limited. A 90 with the right tyres would do well, it's all about the 90" length. It wouldn't be used as a suburban shopping trolley that's for sure.

I kind of do want to. A reliable (hah!) 90 kept down at the hunting block would be an asset. There's an early 80s HJ47 (?) on the neighbour's block that has been very useful in the past but that's been removed for a full restoration by his son. So now we're limited to quads and Polaris / CanAm type ATVs, which are great but limited. A 90 with the right tyres would do well, it's all about the 90" length. It wouldn't be used as a suburban shopping trolley that's for sure.

That's the greatest thing about the 90, wheels on the corners, fantastic approach, departure and break over angles, as well as ground clearance. It's why they can go where they go. V8 has potential for a bit of fun if you can afford the gas!

125k miles 18 years old never been on tarmac never seen Toyota service dealership Well looked after in camp.....

Attachments

• DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 167
I am surprised that with all the big game the boys handle that you don`t have a stand up pipe frame on the top of the existing rear two bar pipe work with the winch mounted far higher so as to hoist up and in and not just drag in.
Pipe
Welder
Cut off saw

Tim 243

Yes I have to say compared to some others I have seen it was pretty Heath Robinson And i certainly wouldn't be standing where the PH is operating the remote That wire had seen better days and you could hear it squeaking and twanging
S

Great vehicles the Vitaras. I’d consider removing the side steps, though sometimes its better to rub those than get a bit over excited and end up rubbing the sills.

attachment.php
how come your suzuki and driveway are free of mud?:confused:
is it for sale?

attachment.php
how come your suzuki and driveway are free of mud?:confused:
is it for sale?

this was when i went to buy it, it’s not like that now, mud up to the windows and a few more bumps and a dent in the passenger door,

ham radio fitted and antennas on tne roof, and 1 more £1500 mobile antenna to install and job done

bob.

IMG_7541.jpg2" lift, Uprated heavy duty suspension with rose joints, Front winch bumper n winch, ATV winch inside behind seats to work Gralloch hoist. Front and back LED lights, Diesel pump pimped up ,,,, and prob loads more

Here is mine:View attachment 92753

I purchased this off the forum, spent some money on it, got it through the MOT, stripped the back out, installed a tow bar and wiring loom. Lastly I fitted some LED work lights which seem brighter than the sun but allows for extended periods of working in the winter, loggings, gralloching, etc.

Seems to go anywhere with the low range diff locks. It also has a CD player and is pretty decent on the road!
My pal is a vet on large animals and has a 2 litre 4 door with 400000Km it looks like shiitt but just keeps on going, not a straight panel left on it.

I don't know if this thread has been done already, but what are stalkers using as their preferred vehicle of choice for hunting?

Mine is a Land Rover 110 CSW, 1983. Presently undergoing a full restoration and 300tdi conversion.
8b07505585d057b1572aaff996072e17.jpg
It Will make the perfect shooting bus, nippy and reliable with the 300tdi, and cheap to run and maintain, think about fitting a 15inch electric fan get a Hydraulic hose made up between the steering box and the pressure side of the pump, dont use two Jobilee clips. Cheers Geoff

I'm running a 1984 110 with a 200tdi conversation....complete with big off road tyres and a shooting hatch....how do I get to add a photo....

Part of me was hoping that you were going to say that you use the Harley in your avatar as a Stalking/Hunting vehicle tac29136 :D, I'm sure you could attach a rifle slip to the hard tail somewhere, but these rigid zero type frames are a nightmare off road!
I do know someone who used a motorcycle to travel to his ground and has on occasion strapped a deer to the pillion. Nothing bigger than a roe.

Back