Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simply rotten!

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Simply rotten!

Family devastated after grandmother's coffin swapped for pine box

Police are investigating after a woman's $1,700 oak casket was switched for a $70 pine box before cremation, following a funeral service in central Queensland.
    It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

They should have the option of renting a coffin, rather than burning a $1700 box. Bit of a waste of money.

But yes, a bit naughty!

I thought it was common practice....they aren't afraid of turning a dollar from a families darkest times.

At least they could have bought a $70 coffin. In the UK, try getting one at almost any price without paying through the nose to undertakers.
    Light a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    At least they could have bought a $70 coffin. In the UK, try getting one at almost any price without paying through the nose to undertakers.
    There's a firm by us that make them, I'm sure you could just go in and buy one. With regard to swapping them over before burning, I'll ask my mate, who's an undertaker, if it happens in the trade. I'll bet the answer, if they do, is "Some unscrupulous ones do but we never do it" .....

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1980 View Post
    They should have the option of renting a coffin, rather than burning a $1700 box. Bit of a waste of money.

But yes, a bit naughty!
    Quite agree.

Surprised they burn the coffin at all, why not just do the body? Sensible and less wasteful to hire a coffin and just use it for handling the body to and from the funeral.

We followed dad's wishes and put him in cardboard box...and he was a furniture maker with a timber shed full of oak. He hated burning and wasting good wood.

Most of the "oak" coffins I have seen have been just oak veneer or photo print onto a chipboard base.

Definitely cardboard box for me as well. A jeweller friend's body was buried in a wood with just a winding sheet around. I found it was good to see his actual body shape rather than a shiny box during the funeral ceremony. Made it very "real"!

Alan

Regular Poster
    Woodland burial in a wickerwork coffin for me, as I think it more environmentally friendly, plus I want to be a tree...

I planted 120 weaving willow last year. Whilst watching a coffin weaver at a local country show, I asked him how many plants you need to provide enough material for a coffin. After a bit of thought he said "40". That's me, the wife and daughter sorted then!

I knew someone who was the council official involved somewhere in the midlands with cremations and he said the wood was needed to get the heat up to body reduction/disposal levels otherwise they would have to pump in gas from the mains supply. So a paper/cardboard jobby is not as environmentally sound as it seems then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I knew someone who was the council official involved somewhere in the midlands with cremations and he said the wood was needed to get the heat up to body reduction/disposal levels otherwise they would have to pump in gas from the mains supply. So a paper/cardboard jobby is not as environmentally sound as it seems then.
    That doesn't sound quite right to me...I would have thought the wood of the box would burn at a lower temperature than the gas especially if it was made from chipboard. The box would also prevent the flame/heat from getting to the body until it was largely consumed anyway.

As far as I know we were not asked for a fuel supplement when we cremated dad in his cardboard coffin.

Alan

ps Just looked it up. Max temperature of burning wood 600 deg. C minimum temperature required to cremate body 850 deg. C
    Last edited by Alantoo; 14-01-2018 at 18:25.