Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS quality droppign off?

RCBS quality droppign off?

Somehow I dropped my RCBS case deburring tool and cannot find where it rolled too. So damn I thought I'll buy a new one so toddled off the the gunshop and asked for one. Yep they have them in stock. Your not going to like the price he says.

Takes one off the hook in it's little plastic bag and you know what he was right. Over 16 and not only that the quality was crap. He had one out of the packet so I asked to look at it. Damn they must be making them in house or in China/India now as my god was it rough. The so called knurling was a row of dimples. The three cutting blades were dull and you could see where the cutter missed the next cut as there were steps in the face and it was cheaply blacked. .

I handed it back and will turn the place upside down to find my old one. Which is a million times better made. I seem to recall the old one says made by ......... for RCBS on it. Sorry cannot recall the name but RCBS needs to go back and get them properly made and not that crap they are pushing now.....................Sheesh.

And there are those on here who Knock lee for quality????

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Somehow I dropped my RCBS case deburring tool and cannot find where it rolled too. So damn I thought I'll buy a new one so toddled off the the gunshop and asked for one. Yep they have them in stock. Your not going to like the price he says.

Takes one off the hook in it's little plastic bag and you know what he was right. Over 16 and not only that the quality was crap. He had one out of the packet so I asked to look at it. Damn they must be making them in house or in China/India now as my god was it rough. The so called knurling was a row of dimples. The three cutting blades were dull and you could see where the cutter missed the next cut as there were steps in the face and it was cheaply blacked. .

I handed it back and will turn the place upside down to find my old one. Which is a million times better made. I seem to recall the old one says made by ......... for RCBS on it. Sorry cannot recall the name but RCBS needs to go back and get them properly made and not that crap they are pushing now.....................Sheesh.

And there are those on here who Knock lee for quality????
    Mine says made for RCBS by L.E. Wilson, seems quite good quality, have not seen the new ones.

Ahhh mine does too. I found it and i had out it in a logical place with the lee trimmer studs . I normally leave it beside the press mounting bolt. If you get the chance take a look at the new ones and you will see what i mean. Ugly and bloody awful springs to mind. The new ones are black and just have RCBS on them.

Probably India or China. I bought a set of RCBS 30-06 Small Based dies lately and they were a bit... rough. The stampings were uneven, the knurling rough. I'll let you know how the die performs.~Muir

I thought they might have farmed it out to the 3rd world. looked that bad but over 16 ($24 US) now that's a rip off.

i have noticed the same decrease in quality over the years switched to hornady however i try to find the older equipment
    much better quality.bought a rcbs jr pess n.i.b for $10.00 at yardsale last year and those wilson deburring tools i have several found them in bins at shows like new for $1.00 sometimes.

i also have a 30 year or more old rcbs collet bullet puller set very well made .saw one of the new ones and was disgusted by its quality.the body was so soft the the collets would imbed in the taper and had to be tapped out with a mallet told my friend to send it back and look for older model on ebay or something.
    Last edited by gnsmth6.5; 30-08-2010 at 02:53.

Hmmm sounds like the Business school grads and accountants have full control now at RCBS

How very sad to hear. And to think they tried to swallow up Lee Precision some years back. Thank god they didn't manage that .

I tried to buy a powder pan and hanger for a lesser model RCBS scale last summer. The scale was second hand and very cheap. RCBS wanted $28 US for the bit of wire and an aluminum pan. I made one from wire and some electrical paneling knock-outs.~Muir

i have managed to make replacemant parts and such myself often times better quality
    than oem crap they sent as replacement.as far as lee the only thing i didnt care for from them
    was that horrible beam safety scale .i shot match using lee equipment for years and did quite well.
    i have an old herters press that is by far indestructable i mainly use it for military 30-06 cases
    you could swage with the thing .