Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are BMH's like in the cold compared to labs for example?

What are BMH's like in the cold compared to labs for example?

Im just getting ready for the start of this season and have a 7 month BMH this will be his first season stalking and as i live at around 1400m alot of it is done on the snow.
    My lab never really had any problems with the cold but has a much heavier coat than the BMH.
    I was thinking of getting a dog vest for him or do they do ok in the cold?
    Cheers

My dogs live outside and our winters can be harsh. The kopov is out side during the day and i find they grow a coat to suit the weather. My Taxen allthough
    wire haired really do's not have a thick coat and he will pull his blanket out from the kennel and sleep on it when it can be - 20. Strange things dogs,

ive got 2 bavarians and they get cold if sitting waiting for log spells,got mine a fleece jacket to help as they realy like being IN bed under duvet

I have had Todd over 4 years, and he has been out in many types of weather. Even at one point in Scotland two years ago the weather was atrocious and he dug himself a hole next to a pine tree I was sheltering under at the time and curled up to get out of the wind and rain .

I dont think its the cold so much he hates, more the rain with it. Its true they do like their home comforts with an old duvet in their kennel. But I spoil mine anyway and so does my partner, she adores him and although he will grab a wounded Roe and hold it down he is a real softie at heart.

Just got back in after sitting for around three hours and the dog was shivering after about an hour and its still only september. It was probably around 4 or 5 degrees.
    Can anyone reccomend a decent supplier of quality coats for dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    I have had Todd over 4 years, and he has been out in many types of weather. Even at one point in Scotland two years ago the weather was atrocious and he dug himself a hole next to a pine tree I was sheltering under at the time and curled up to get out of the wind and rain .

I dont think its the cold so much he hates, more the rain with it. Its true they do like their home comforts with an old duvet in their kennel. But I spoil mine anyway and so does my partner, she adores him and although he will grab a wounded Roe and hold it down he is a real softie at heart.
    i know what you mean mate , xena has my bloody dressing gown in her kennel ! but yes the mrs and i spoil her too but ive not noticed her feel the cold or shiver yet , but i will see how she fairs over the next month or so before i buy her a coat !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

My BMH does not seem to mind the cold but he will do anything to avoid water. I am told that his litter sister is water mad.

All in all I think BMH are wonderful dogs, my only regret is that I didnt get one earlier in my stalking career.

I have a young BMH and we were out in the rain yesterday and all she wanted to do was go home and sit in her kennel.But apart from that she is Brilliant

John

My BMH stays in the car as I do the stalking with the clients, she only comes out when I need to follow up and she is fine.