Vortex Optics - any good?

I had a vortex viper for a while. If you use the search function on here for "vortex vs zeiss" or something along those lines I did a fairly in depth comparison between a zeiss duralyt and the vortex viper. The viper I found to be the better scope. That been said I'm now on a fixed mag S&B with illuminated reticule and the vortex doesnt come close.

Warranty however is really good, my friend tried and tested the warranty after dropping the binos on kitchen floor tiles, and true to their word he had a new set on his doorstep in a matter of days.

KS

The Vortex small tactical scopes with illumination, in 1-4X24, 1-6x, 1-8X, CQB reticles with small dot center and ballistic drop reticles for the 5.56 and 7.62x51 NATO cartridges, are really nice, for $250 to $350 this side.

For longer range, Vortex Diamondback Tactical, with exposed turrets, G2 reticle, 70 MOA of windage and elevation, side parallax, various power ranges - under $300 USD discount prices. The reticle is so fine and sharp, that I cannot see anyone needing more than 12X for as far as you would even play on targets.

I had a vortex viper for a while. If you use the search function on here for "vortex vs zeiss" or something along those lines I did a fairly in depth comparison between a zeiss duralyt and the vortex viper. The viper I found to be the better scope. That been said I'm now on a fixed mag S&B with illuminated reticule and the vortex doesnt come close.

Warranty however is really good, my friend tried and tested the warranty after dropping the binos on kitchen floor tiles, and true to their word he had a new set on his doorstep in a matter of days.

KS

Still miss that scope I sold you
Cheers

I bought a vortex diamond back scope it's ok not a patch on the big 3 but it was not in the same price range. It's going to be replaced with one of the big 3

I have five Vortex scopes - four FFP's and one SFP. All function great and I seem to hit what I aim at most of the times. Price is about what I want to pay for optics. I don't buy into the BS of paying at least as much for your scope that you pay for your rifle. Warranty is great too. inadvertently dropped my rifle on a concrete floor. It landed on the elevation turret and bent the spindle. A quick call to the importer and a new scope was in the mail next day.

Cheers

I bought a vortex diamond back scope it's ok not a patch on the big 3 but it was not in the same price range. It's going to be replaced with one of the big 3

Lots of talk about the big three - I get Zeiss and Swaro as alpha, but excuse my ignorance but who is the third?

Meopta - S&B - Lecia?

All subjective i would place Leica first i would place the big three in scopes as Schmidt and bender,Swarovski,Zeiss in that order to my eyes. Bins i would have Leice Swarovski,Zeiss each individual will have different preferences.

has anyone else had issues with the ballistic turrets being a bit to easy to turn on the vortex scopes?
I have a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with ballistic turrets and occasionally I pull my rifle out of its bag and the turrets have adjusted slightly.
It is slightly annoying because it never happens with my night force or S&B scopes

For mid range money, used Meopta, Swaro, Zeiss or fixed S&B are all a safe bet and better than the mid range vortex scopes. I don't buy into the warranty although it's a nice to have. I have a scope here which must be close on 35 years old, and still going strong (now on my air rifle). If buying new I'd buy something in that price range from Delta optics (Japanese made) or Steiner. I compared the glass in the Delta to a mate's Vortex PST. The Delta wiped the floor with it optically. Another new kid on the block as far as rifle scopes go are the superb Steiner optics. I recently had a chance to look at one of their mid-range 4-16 x 56 scopes (Ranger)which retails at about £900 and was blown away. Fabulous build quality, fabulous optics and superbly engineered low profile and very glove friendly turrets with, thankfully, very positive clicks. The ret was similar to the Delta Titanium, being a fine crosshair with a very fine illuminated dot and I have to say that at this price range, new, I haven't seen a better rifle scope, period. Being a scope tart, I'd love a Steiner to add to the collection, but would involve buying another rifle....oh wait a minute...:D

Last edited:
Nope, as far as I know, it has never happened. On the other hand I always check my scope when I take my rifle out. I've developed the habit of always returning my scope to zero after a shot as i move about. But it does happen that I sometimes forget:doh:

Cheers

Good scopes and great warranty sent my Viper HS which was having problems with it elevation turret off to main dealer and replacement scope was with me in 2 days. Very Impressed!:D

I have a Viper PST 1-4.5 on my 300 Blackout, and a Viper PST GENII FFP 5-25X on my Tikka. The Gen II replaced a warranted Gen I 6-24 that developed a spec on the reticle. When I approached the dealer about it I was offered a trade up to the GEN II, crediting me the full retail on the GEN I. The deal was done right on the spot. Can't beat that. Vortex are an over-the-counter warranty. You return the glass to any Vortex dealer and they will swap it out if they have the same model in stock.

I also have Viper binoculars. Very good.~Muir

Excellent specification and performance, and not just for the money. I have Swarovski EL's, 10x56 Zeiss Night Owls and still often use my Vortex 8x 42 HD Talon's. Not quite on a par with the big 3 for me but very close.

I have several Vortex Diamondback, not near the top levels, but very good. The very top levels of rifles copes are for niche applications, and not only unnecessary for most hunting, but inappropriate for most hunting applications. If you are only ethically constrained to taking game of any size or sort at 300 or 400 yards, the best-selling Vortex, Burris, Swift, Leupold, and Bushnell are more than adequate, as are the older Zeiss, Schmidt, and Swaro in 4x32, 6x42, 8x56, or 3-9x36mm.

I can only speak for the binoculars, not the scopes, but I recently "down graded" to a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x42 binos, and I'm very happy with them.

Ihave been using a vortex strike eagle very successfully on driven boar last year, its not quite the circle of death of z8i, but at £230 it does the job

Back