.22 rimfire zero issues

Wylyetom

Help needed?
So due to a new permission I have dusted down the trusty Anshutz 1417 in .22 lr that has sat in the cabinet gathering dust and even treated it to a new Zeiss conquest scope ( love the stalking directory classifieds, thanks Ed). All fitted I decided to give it a good clean, now I had shot the rifle three or four times before and know that it was shot on shot at 60 yards. I can't remember ever cleaning either so spent some time cleaning out the mod ( full of crud) and cleaning the barrel with bore cleaner and nylon brush, much as I would with my centerfires. So filled with expectation I thought I'd go out and zero it yesterday, this is where the problem lies. I must of fired 75 rounds but the thing just won't group? I checked the mod by shooting without but still terrible, it would shoot a couple of shots close then the next three would be 2-3 inches away, after 1 hour I decided to leave it , can anyone advise what I should do now? Should I try another clean or maybe it just needs another box of ammo through it, can someone help! Tom

Treated it to a new Zeiss conquest scope. Tom

Double-check integrity of scope rings & mounts?

This is one of those threads that will run and run as without the rifle in-hand any reply is less than meaningfully informed speculation. Mine included!

K

Last edited:
Put it back to how it was when it shot well...restore its original scope? That will eliminate any fault with the new scope.

Are you using the same ammunition as before?

Alan

Silly questions:

Did you store the rifle with the mod still on?
How old is the ammo?

I'm a firm believer that you never clean a .22 target barrel and have carried that practice on to sport .22s. Scrub out the working parts by all means as .22 are extremely dirty to shoot but not the barrel.

I'd recommend putting a couple of hundred rounds through it with some cheep ammo and, zero with some really good quality ammo and then re-zero to your chosen pest control ammo.

Good luck.

Cleaning could result in it needed a few fouling shots but not 75 in an Annie that was known to shoot fine.

Check the usual stuff but you have already eliminated the mod thing. If you have not removed action screws etc since it last show well, it is unlikely to be that.

The last thing you have changed is the scope which means the mounts and/or scope is almost certainly causing issue. Are they new mounts. The receiver/dovetails on an Annie is slightly convex (or is on my 1417) so if you have mounts that have no clearance above this (possible with a small diameter scope with relevant mounts) they can catch slightly and not sit uniformly. They can grip and keep the scope in place but the slight recoil from the rifle can move them slightly. I had this once and it drove me crazy. I kept changing things, including 3 different scopes before I realised that I was using the same mounts that was causing the same issue.

If it is not the mounts or the scope (and my tenner says it is) then what ammo are you shooting. Try a different brand but probably not that either.

I am guessing mounting issue.

Hi, same ammo as before, and always store mod off. I will recheck scope mounting, the scope was bought from here used but the last owner assures me it is perfect, I bought brand new Warne scope mounts, but will now go and just check, I always use a high quality torque wrench to tighten to 25, as correct. If all looks good then will go out and stick some more ammo through it and check again?

Makes sure the back of the action is properly bedded down into the stock. I had an issue a while back where some damp got in and just lifted the wood a little - caused all sorts of problems. Refinished it, got the action in good and secure and all was well.
It may well take some time for it to bed back in barrelwise if you have given it a good cleaning.

Hi, same ammo as before, and always store mod off. I will recheck scope mounting, the scope was bought from here used but the last owner assures me it is perfect, I bought brand new Warne scope mounts, but will now go and just check, I always use a high quality torque wrench to tighten to 25, as correct. If all looks good then will go out and stick some more ammo through it and check again?

If in the unlikely event there is issue with the scope, I will take it back and give full refund.

If you've 'e shot the rifle back in after a major clean, lock the rifle up on a bore sighter check the the scope and rings the once over on alignment and lockdown take off the mod and try some group shots with two or three different types of ammo

- ely Subs are a greasy filthy round but the grouping shots are excellent start with them
See how that goes, if the grouping comes back, put the mod on and give that a go with preferred ammo

It will eliminate the mod as a fault at least

Good luck

I had the same problem, turned out to be the mod alignment on the thread, changed the mod then it shot through the same hole

Last edited:
Hi Ed, I don't think it's the scope, the action was not removed and I know it is fine as had it glass bedded by Steve kershaw last year, I may try a different mod just to be sure as when I opened it up is was jam packed with what resembled sand. I will take it out at the weekend and try some more rounds, fingers crossed !

Hi Ed, I don't think it's the scope, the action was not removed and I know it is fine as had it glass bedded by Steve kershaw last year, I may try a different mod just to be sure as when I opened it up is was jam packed with what resembled sand. I will take it out at the weekend and try some more rounds, fingers crossed !

Did the moderator go back together well? Erratic grouping suggests something moving between shots. If not the scope or mountings, did you get all the crud out of the moderator? No loose bit left behind? If you disassembled it, are the baffles in the moderator aligned and solid? How thorough was your check with the moderator off?

Alan

Hi Alan,
the mod is an SAK and the insert is one piece so cannot go in wrong, I actually had to use a wire brush and a drill to clean the muck from the baffle so all is good ther, I will however give it a more thorough test without the mod as I was a little disappointed yesterday after testing so it was a little half hearted! I will update my findings, cheers Tom

imagejpeg
Well I decided to have another go tonight, cleaned the barrel then put 40 shots through it, shot with or without the mod made I difference to the group size, as can be seen 5 shots went through the same hole then it shifted? I know it was windy but I would of expected better, next my gunsmith friend is lending me his test scope at the weekend so I can rule that out!http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/tom64/Mobile%20Uploads/E69E21B3-BAF8-4BDB-BA5E-D9AB0A770D85_zpsjcojudok.jpg

Last edited:
Tom

Don't clean the barrel again.... You'll need to put a couple of boxes of ammo through for it to settle down.
What ammon are you using?.. as subsonic ammo can be inconsistent, ... I found eley and rws to be the most consistent and accurate of my anschutz rifles and I'm now on my fourth.
Eliminating the scope is a good idea.... but have you checked the barrel for free floating as well? ?...

It must be frustrating for you!!

As you said before, it is not mod related as you tried it on and off

I still think it is either scope or mounts related. It is a pain in the backside but I would stick the old scope and mounts back on and see how it shoots. Or a different scope and different mounts. It is a process of elimination I am afraid but something is moving about somewhere if you shot those groups from 50yds with good ammo in fairly calmish conditions

Just a couple of comments as a very long term Annie user. Firstly it would appear current Eley subs are very poor and if you are using them go on Eley web site and go into QC section and put your batch no in and see what it did testing you might be in for a shock.

Secondly there is on here a very lengthy thread relating to exactly your issues and it was either a badly fouled leade and or powder deposit in the recessed crown of your annie. If you can't get it sorted then your welcome to pop down and I have a quick look at it for you.

D

Back