Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics from the flash night.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Thumbs up Pics from the flash night.

I had left my camera on the wallow tree and watched as this young stag came down and wallowed..there were no flashes and as it was late and in poor light I only got a very average pic of the young one.

I`m rather glad that I didnt pull on the stag that evening,something told me that he "wasnt the one" and thus on inspecting the pics he`s certainly not,although I did offer a crack at him to two mates. One couldn't come hunting the other didnt respond ...his bad luck eh.

I went in the next morning and retrieved my camera with its flat batteries and found that I had indeed captured the other stag I had watched wallow the evening before. Just to indicate what a sambar stag is like in the body size dept that wombat weigh`s in anywhere between 60-80 pounds.

The wallow in daylight

A hind at the wallow site pre the wallow being made of course
    Last edited by johngryphon; 30-08-2010 at 00:11.

That's got to be the first wombat ever seen on Stalking Directory!

Interesting pics, thanks.

Deer Dog Available
    Frax i`m chuffed that out of 74 'views' someone finally replied.....it is a task for me to load pics up etc etc and to not even get a reply is a bit of a let down. I did think that sambar which are thin on the ground in the UK would warrant some attention especially from the deer hunters.

So now I am offering you a full week of Sambar stalking one on one with me...this is a genuine 100% offer mate.

You get yourself to Aus throw in for some fuel, food (drink) and that would be only a few hundred Oz bucks mind you and you have a chance at the worlds premium antlered game...others pay pro guides many thousands for the same deal. None of the crap 'trophy fee *****' either.

You would be here as my guest,a mate.

PM me your email address if you are interested...there is only one real requirement in that one needs to be fairly fit and to be able to walk somewhat...oh and shoot well too!

Re the wombat,I reckon there would not have been too many sambar pics on here either.

here`s a couple more odd balls for you

I like these little ones rolled up like Tom Kitten

JG

John - keep the pics coming mate. Very interesting indeed. What does wombat taste like?!
    Is that wallow on public land? Would be interested to hear if there are any qualifications required to shoot deer in Oz or does it follow the Kiwi model where anyone can hunt on public land?

Deer Dog Available
    Public land that required some finding,the small clearing in the bottom of a very thickly tea-treed area.

$45 bucks Aussie will get you access to several MILLION acres of public land a for a year and for as many as you want to shoot..thats if one is up to the task as they do take some hunting mate.MY pic success is nothing compared to the time I do put in hunting them,If I remember rightly I have had two evenings off in the last 2 months not counting morning hunts.Will be back at it tonight..meaning late arvo till dark.

BTW way Boss I have never and never will eat one haha..Capt Cook remarked on them as ok though,***** would be OK after six months at sea on hard tack and salt beef though.

Deer Dog Available

Immediately above the wallow

mate with a cull in fern country in high bush

big old 'gone back' boy caught out one arvo on fringe farm country,most unusual to see.

Loving these pics...it's great to get a perspective from different parts of our wonderful world.

Keep it coming John. I understand hunting with dogs was/is quite popular. Is it true only certain breeds are permitted?

Great to hear you have access to so much land - I imagine you have to work hard for each animal. Do you normally take legs/backstraps or remove the whole carcass?

Best

Gabriel

Deer Dog Available
    Frax did you not read post number three?

BH We take the whole animal out if we can get near-ish with a vehicle,I wont shoot meat animals unless thats possible. Have done enough hard yards carrying huge sections of deer out over distance.
    Otherwise with a stag we will take what we can over multiple trips,I will 1/4 them with a small Buck game saw and carry the 1/4`s out on a pack frame.

Dogs? recognised breeds of gun dogs are used by stalkers, Bretons,WH + SH pointers etc A few use E Pointers with great success also.

Here is a pic of stag back legs (on frame) and the back straps (note size) after a tough return journey up and down a real ***** of a hill. I didnt have my saw to 1/4 this one..didnt matter ,he is one in the hunt reports.

Still steaming after being hacked off with a sorry knife.

Last edited by johngryphon; 01-09-2010 at 21:22. Reason: more text