Is everything made cheaply these days..

wildfowler.250

Minor grump, girlfriend bought me a new rifle sling for Xmas,(she’s learning :lol:). Think it was roughly £35,(z aim pro stalker). Anyway, tried to attach it today and there’s no swivels with the sling. Clearly an extra purchase required to ensure the sling can fit onto the gun.. Seems like everything is scaled down to as cheap as possible these days. I certainly would rather pay a few quid more for something decent than everything always being made to poor standards!

Minor rant over. Suppose you get what you pay for!

Fraid so as K/B said my Allen sling and both Ridgelines were swiveless ,it makes your dig a bit deeper in your pocket to spend with them

Slightly off topic, but having recently replaced the dish washer, the oven and the tumble dryer it would appear that all household white goods seem to be built for a 7 year lifespan...

Either that or my wife destroying them to avoid cleaning them...

Slightly off topic, but having recently replaced the dish washer, the oven and the tumble dryer it would appear that all household white goods seem to be built for a 7 year lifespan...

Even further off-topic I inherited a KitchenAid dishwasher at my last property and it was still going strong when I moved 18-years later! Bomb-proof kitchen kit. Or at least their stuff use to be.

K

No, not all goods are made as cheaply as possible. We make to a standard that will ensure, as far as possible, that the customer gets his moneys worth and the item does the job it's supposed to, for as long as it's supposed to.. If someone insists on a cheaper job for whatever reason we tell them it will be substandard and it's on their head even if it means we lose the job. If for some reason they want cheaper but good quality then we turn the job down as it can't be done, and we will not lie to them. We use good materials, not Chinese, and it takes as long as it takes. We also tend to deal with suppliers with the same mind set, and if they don't conform then we go elsewhere. Quality is out there, finding it's the problem.

Standard practice unless their integral.

Take your pic re the make and style you want/need to match the existing stock studs:
https://www.brownells.co.uk/Shooting-Accessories/Slings-Sling-Swivels/Sling-Loop-Sets

K

Just expect to wait three or four weeks for delivery if you do order what you think will be a stock item. They will be, just not stock in the UK. Their defence is that it says not all items are held in the UK at Checkout, it just doesn't say which items:( . Best to ring before you order or source elsewhere.

Minor grump, girlfriend bought me a new rifle sling for Xmas,(she’s learning :lol:). Think it was roughly £35,(z aim pro stalker). Anyway, tried to attach it today and there’s no swivels with the sling. Clearly an extra purchase required to ensure the sling can fit onto the gun.. Seems like everything is scaled down to as cheap as possible these days. I certainly would rather pay a few quid more for something decent than everything always being made to poor standards!

Minor rant over. Suppose you get what you pay for!

i have plenty of the sling swivels at home taking up space so pm me your address and I will pop you a pair if you need them.

3 years often in my experience - and repairs are now too expensive to make it worth the effort unless you can do it yourself. What did annoy me is that when the heat element went on my beko dryer (£200 new) not 3 years in, the spare part was £60! A tiny cheaply made little heat element that must represent 3% of the original manufacturing cost. As a positive YouTube is a real bonus in fixing modern cheaply made cr@p.

i will get off my soap box now (pun intended).

No, not all goods are made as cheaply as possible. We make to a standard that will ensure, as far as possible, that the customer gets his moneys worth and the item does the job it's supposed to, for as long as it's supposed to.. If someone insists on a cheaper job for whatever reason we tell them it will be substandard and it's on their head even if it means we lose the job. If for some reason they want cheaper but good quality then we turn the job down as it can't be done, and we will not lie to them. We use good materials, not Chinese, and it takes as long as it takes. We also tend to deal with suppliers with the same mind set, and if they don't conform then we go elsewhere. Quality is out there, finding it's the problem.

Spot on, Rod. Most rifles used to be built with sling swivels as part of the package (old Sako vixen) or they came with a sling (Blaser Attaché), but times change. Consumer demand puts downward pressure on everything these days, but almost always not for the better outcome. Ruskin had it right:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

I am not going to comment on how well all my white goods are doing for fear of putting the curse on them. Oh sod, I just did.

Bizarrely, my rabbit freezer is the oldest chest jobbie I have ever seen. Gotta be over 20yrs old. I doubt they make them like they used to.

I have an old sling with built in swivels that I still use on all rifles apart from the Mauser (which will not accept standard stuff, grrrrr) It has been going for 15yrs. When it dies, I am going to cry

Fraid so as K/B said my Allen sling and both Ridgelines were swiveless ,it makes your dig a bit deeper in your pocket to spend with them

Isn't 'swiveless' a lovely word? Can't stop saying it now. Swiveless. All the people on the train are looking at me...

Isn't 'swiveless' a lovely word? Can't stop saying it now. Swiveless. All the people on the train are looking at me...
You are right. But does it have two ‘l’s? Swivelless? But somehow that slows and changes the pronunciation. Having rolled it around, it’s swiveless for me.

My z aim sling has been on two different rifles both with flush cup fittings but my other rifle has standard swivel mounts so the fact it doesn't come with anything is good so I can choose the most suitable one.

Even further off-topic I inherited a KitchenAid dishwasher at my last property and it was still going strong when I moved 18-years later! Bomb-proof kitchen kit. Or at least their stuff use to be.

K
German bought Bosch washing machine used for 8 years in UK till 2002 then back to Germany and it is still working. The missus uses Calgon to treat the water being used.

You are right. But does it have two ‘l’s? Swivelless? But somehow that slows and changes the pronunciation. Having rolled it around, it’s swiveless for me.

I agree. Grammar aside, one L makes it beautifully oily on the tongue...

Back