Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on next rifle for Fox etc

Looking for advice on next rifle for Fox etc

Hi,

I have several rifles some for target shooting and some for the field, I have just sold a .308 and will need to request a 1 for 1 or loose the slot (keen to keep the space). However I would like some views on a good cal to look at, I would want to cover Fox, Rabbbit and if something fits all include Roe.

I have at the moment the following:
    .22 Rim 10/22
    .17 HMR CZ 452
    .243 (used mainly for Deer) REM 700
    .308 (permission for Deer but used mainly on the range) Tikka T3

I know the .243 covers all for what I need but I fancy setting up a Fox rifle, any ideas,

thanks in advance

Nigel

I have a dedicated .223 Tikka M595 for Foxing / long range bunnies, but we also use .22-250's for the dual purpose role, obviously you will need to stick to your .243 below the wall.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 30-08-2010 at 10:39.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

i have just gone through the same thing as you and i opted for the .223 due to it being reasonably flat shooting and a cheap round to reload, aftyer that my choice would have been .22-250 and then .222 a close third. i also see that you also wanted to shoot rabbits with your new rifle??????

223 is a nice round for foxes and if you are really lucky it might like PRVI ammo which would be a bonus. One of my 223s loves the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i have just gone through the same thing as you and i opted for the .223 due to it being reasonably flat shooting and a cheap round to reload, aftyer that my choice would have been .22-250 and then .222 a close third. i also see that you also wanted to shoot rabbits with your new rifle??????

just food for thought, just in case i missed something?

If I was you I would go for a .204. Balistics are better than .223 and it is a lovely round to shoot. Absolutely excellent fox round. Before you make up your mind take a look at Bruce Potts sporting rifle book, it is a mine of usefull information (£25 well spent in my mind)

D

my mate just got a ruger 204 so i did not want to copy him, i will say his shoots well, but its very loud as i found the other night he let one go when i was along side....poo it hurt. I see u live very close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nthor View Post
    my mate just got a ruger 204 so i did not want to copy him, i will say his shoots well, but its very loud as i found the other night he let one go when i was along side....poo it hurt. I see u live very close to me.

You defo need a mod if shooting at night. I tried the 22ē250 without the mod on during the day and I can't describe how loud it is. With the mod on its excellent.

Ive got a .22-250 Tikka M595 - and there happens to be 2 at A M Hobbs (wiltshire i think, have a look on google)

Can thoroughly reccomend them, trying to get the same rifle in 6.5x55!

Agree with the above, it is very antisocial without a moderator on but with one its great.

However to be honest i think when the barrel has had its day it will either become a .223 or a 6mmbr. The .22-250 seems to me to be a hell of a lot of rifle (bang and kick compared to a .222/.223) to be not allowed on deer so i mihgt go either way.

if your area will allow it .25-06, 75g V-Max 3700fps flat and very GOOD on MR/Mrs Fox crow's etc 120 or 117 for ALL British Deer.