Thread: Lee Scales.

Lee Scales.

I have just bought a load of Lee reloading gear. I loaded 10 bullets but was not 100% satisfied with them. I took them to a mate who pulled the heads and check weighed the powder.
    They should have weighed 23.3gn. But the first 5 weighed;-

I was told that the 27.4gn charge would have blown my gun up, possibly me with it. I took the perfect Powder Measure and the Safety Scales back and got a refund. I am now on the look out for some s/h RCBS Scales.
    Everyone I have spoken too said they found the Lee scales to be perfectly ok, if difficult to read. That is probably where I went wrong.
    Ian.

Quite possibly. I had a set to start with back in the practical pistols days and loaded on a Lee Turret press. When I got into rifle reloading a club member was giving up and used to do a bit of dealing so I picked up a Lyman Spar-T press a RCBS Uniflow powder measure, a Kinetic hammer bullet puller and a set of C-H scales. I still have the C-h scales in their box and use them to check the Lyman 500 scales I use now. The C-H are not damped. I also use an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press now that I brought for the club secretaries estate after he dies suddenly with a heart attack.

The Lee scales I gave to a fellow club member who was broke and starting out in reloading. I found the little stud you press in to set them fiddly to use. The lyman are easier the C-H scales even easier to sett eh weight on butt hey are not damped.

Now powder batches will vary in density which is why you should check for any untoward pressure signs with a new batch of powder even with well established loads. I either use a manual of my records and set the scales to that weight then either dump the powder in with a dipper and trickle to top it off the the desired weight of if I have the room set up the Uniflow and use that with the scales.

Hmmm not sure about a a load being only one grain more being enough to blow a gun up unless your already working right up against of in the red zone already. Other wise it would not have survived proofing.

I too find other makes of scales easier to read than the Lee ones, so I bought a second-hand RCBS one. But I have checked the weights against each other and they are the same, exactly the same! Also the Lee ones once set to the weight you want to weigh, and locked, are less likely to move than most other makes I have seen.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

cant comment on other makes as ive not been reloading long, but with my lee kit (breech lock challenger) and blc2 powder(which is like coal dust) i throw what i think are pretty consistant loads with both powder measure and checking with lee scales within 0.1 of a grain.. ish .. 2850fps +or- 10fps like i say i am new to it so double check but was so confident i put 10 rounds together with the powder measure only and got same results, i also factory crimp so dont know if that made a difference..sb

Thank you all for your input. I have now bought a set of 502 scales. So hopefully should be set up now. Think I will give the powder measures a miss and weigh each load.
    Brithunter, the load should have been 23.3 and the highest was 27.4 So that was 4.1 gns extra. Really glad I took them to a mate for checking.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderinstar View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I have now bought a set of 502 scales. So hopefully should be set up now. Think I will give the powder measures a miss and weigh each load.
    Brithunter, the load should have been 23.3 and the highest was 27.4 So that was 4.1 gns extra. Really glad I took them to a mate for checking.
    Ian.
    I have a Lee Powder thrower which I have set to dispense just less than the 45gn i am using for my 129gn SST's. I throw this into the loading scales pan (carefully), then use an RCBS powder trickler to get the exact weight. I do not think this is necessary, but i like to think i have made the loads exactly to the correct weight. It makes me feel better about the loads i am producing, which gives me confidence.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderinstar View Post
    I have just bought a load of Lee reloading gear. I loaded 10 bullets but was not 100% satisfied with them. I took them to a mate who pulled the heads and check weighed the powder.
    They should have weighed 23.3gn. But the first 5 weighed;-

I was told that the 27.4gn charge would have blown my gun up, possibly me with it. I took the perfect Powder Measure and the Safety Scales back and got a refund. I am now on the look out for some s/h RCBS Scales.
    Everyone I have spoken too said they found the Lee scales to be perfectly ok, if difficult to read. That is probably where I went wrong.
    Ian.
    As I said in my earlier reply to your post on the subject, despite what you thought of the scale, I ca't see why you returned the Powder Measure, based solely on it's performance with the loads you mentioned. If you average the lot, then look at the deviation from that average, the measure was throwing charges within .5 grains. That is very good performance, despite what some will tell you. I personally don't like the measure because I have seen two that "leak" very fine powder between the rotating drum and the body. IT didn't effect the measurement, just got messy. For coarser rifle powders I found it acceptably accurate and within the range you experienced.~Muir