Free range lamb prices

stratts

Quick question guys is £5.50/kg for whole or half a lamb butchered a decent price? Someone I know has reared some and that's the price he's after.

The one I can have is 33kg whole and I have the chance to butcher it myself but the price is the same. Never done a lamb before so am interested in trying but not sure if it's decent value or not?

Cheers

Stratts

That's a big lamb dead weight, but if you look at it this way that two pound a kilo live weight is a good price.
Taking into account killing and cutting charges that's a fear price

Seems a bit on the high side to me stratts.

I supply to a local farm shop and charge them £4.50/KG for the carcass in the whole. Id try and knock your man down to £5/KG not butchered.
Friends/Family get half lamb butchered and boxed for £65, normally about 15KG

Im not doing it to get rich so i may be underpriced, but from market values i think I'm about right for this neck of the woods.

ATB, Dave

Quick question guys is £5.50/kg for whole or half a lamb butchered a decent price? Someone I know has reared some and that's the price he's after.

The one I can have is 33kg whole and I have the chance to butcher it myself but the price is the same. Never done a lamb before so am interested in trying but not sure if it's decent value or not?

All sounds pricy to me when there is free range venison running about in your area Stratts. Lamb will do your cholesterol no good, eat venison and Rabbit it's better for you.

:lol:

£4 / kg deadweight + £15 for slaughter and butchery.
So, for example, a 40kg LW lamb would probably give an 18kg carcass, so that would be £87 butchered. Retail price would be higher, but what I'm talking about is farm gate sales of whole lamb, not just the best cuts.
(NB, an 18 kg deadweight carcass does not equal 18kg in your freezer, because you'll lose quite a bit in trim etc during butchering).

Liveweight value is about £1.70 / kg at the moment.

Last edited:
I sell boxed lambs in the 20-22kg range for £120. Seems about the going rate. it's no good buying a whole lamb unless you know how much it weighs! I know of people selling whole lambs for around the £120 mark but only weighing about 14-15 kilo carcass, little Southdown pet things.:)

No way can it be 33kg for a carcass - it would need to be a scabby old ewe to make that weight. Sounds more like the live weight of a hill lamb - which will dress down to a 15/15.5 kg carcass.

to be a 33 kg carcass it would need to be about 68 kg live - not possible.

33kg dead weight!! My Norfolk Horn Hogget's make thirty plus and there not fat or pushed. I did some proper mutton with a weather 3 shears old and he was 44 kg dead weight, a little bit fatty on the chops but the rest excellent and TASTY and tender, slow cooked and rested well.
I sell my lambs and hogget's for £4.00 a kilo dead weight plus killing and cutting and I cant remember what I'm charged for that and it varies based on weight, but I cant get it done as cheap as VSS.
I butcher my venison for my own use but as I want to sell these mainly I have the butcher ( slaughter house on site) do them all bagged boxed and labelled and they dispose of all the waste

You may strike lucky with a carcass that weight, but I'd bet there's a fair amount of fat on the back. I wouldn't touch one that weight unless I could check it out 1st. I've butchered a substantial amount of lambs in my time, and I'd definitely pass on anything over 40lb.

OP,
Last one I butchered from whole I was like you, chopped a few things up but not a lamb, but then most animals are similar once skinned aren't they?
Youtube is your friend and with a knife and laptop anything is possible :D

Bought half a lamb yesterday: £50, semi butchered
I didn't weigh it all but it is lovely tasty meat, locally reared and plenty of it.

Last edited:
Back