photos of bullet wounds / meat damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offroad Gary

what do the regulars/moderators think of posting some pictures of bullet wounds/meat damage and along with a short description of details eg, calibre, bullet weight, range shot taken etc...

purely for educational purposes, of course. or do we think its not PC?

I reckon it would be okay as long as it was done properly. All scientific, nothing that would look at all like 'Fat Doris from Scunthorpe' on the readers wives pages. :D

Yep that's a 308 alright! Although I use 243 and 308 I always prefered the Swede for knock down power and tidy exit wounds on Roe. The 6.5x55 didn't seem to bounce about as much. :confused: To be fair though, it looks like you shifted a lot of bone through that hole. Dead is dead though and I bet the deer didn't run far.

This is a .308 on a Sika Stag, I think it was 180 gr Speer HPBT, I'm not sure because it was my mates gun. I thought it was a bit brutal and never bothered with it again, went back to my 6.5

LastOwner.jpg

Up close it looks like one of those mock up's in a first aid exam.

peviousowner.jpg

John

bucksden
i think it is always a good idea to use pics for an educational purpose , as it helps others to see if what they are doing is the same as others , in this case it shows how your bullet reacted and expanded and more than likely meant this deer was met with an instaneous death , perfect , meat damage is never a consideration when i shoot ,so i am lucky not to be put in that position like some others i know , but all the same this is a stalking site and this is a major part of stalking bullet expansion and the effects of it
john
hope that was'nt raymond :lol:

Stone that's not Raymond, Raymond is a lot bigger....Oh he also has a lot more hair, unlike JayB! :lol:

stone,

unfortunately that deer didn't meet with instant death. i thought he had, as he dropped on the spot. when i went to collect him he was still alive, and i had to finish him with the knife. the bullet had missed his body cavity/heart lungs and broke both his shoulders, he wasn't going anywhere.

it was my first kill with my .308 which i had zeroed at 2" high at 100. the ammo was only grouping at 2", therefore i was potentially 3" high at 100m or worse. i aimed for a high hear shot, but forgot to compensate for the potential 3" error, hence missing the point of aim. but at least the "enough gun" rule, meant that he was dropped.

i have now rezeroed and have different ammo for that gun.

Gary

useful thread.

this is going to be a useful thread- i best we will find that placement has a lot to do with damage as well.

steve

Mr B,

I would point out that grass does not grow on a busy street, but, as my good wife pointed out to me there is not much of it about in a desert either!

As for Raymond and his hair I can soon turn him into this :evil:

furcoat.jpg

Here Raymond, Raymond, come and see the nice JAYB

This could be an informative thread, we just want people's honest observations. I wish now I had taken photo's of a lot of wounds, good and bad because I'm sure, as Steve said, this will really highlight shot placement, and will indicate the usefulness of pointblank range to a lot of beginners. If people learn from it, it can be nothing but good.

John

You wouldn't do that to poor old Raymond would you John? :(

As I said in my original post, it’s good to understand what damage different calibres and bullets do to a deer. However I'd be careful of what is put on this thread as 'We are not alone'.

To see how easy it would be for someone who wasn't as enlightened as we are and would like to show us in a bad light; just put any random word in Goggle and see what results you get. Anti's pay people to scan the net, they then edit information to suit their own ends and we then find ourselves helping fund their efforts against us.

It’s not paranoia its fact! Please be careful.

withdrawn post

Hi, I'm with Steve on this one. I posted a photo of my first roe buck, and deleted it within a minute of seeing it on screen. While I like most of the rest of you are not in the least bit squeemish, I have to say some of the photos I've seen here are horror movie stuff, if you are not a stalker and accustomed to seeing shot animals. My feeling is this thread should end now. Just my opinion, let the majority rule.
Mark

I have just experimented with this and through Google you can jump from this thread to a youtube video of a group of Jewish Rabbis sliting the throats of Fallow deer that take far to long to die, straight to a whole page of world wide anti hunting sites. It takes but seconds. Notice that I don't name the anti sites as it makes their job easier to find us.

Good idea for a thread, just remember fellow hunters cover your tracks!

jewish slaughter

You mentioned jewish slaughter SHEKITA i have worked in numerous slaughter houses where this is carried out not deer but cattle and sheep if you think what you saw on there was bad you should see cattle thrashing about some times breaking legs in the process . The reason they are not stunned is they must be seen to be acting normal and in good health before being killed when the animal has bled out each animals lungs are checked in carcass to ensure there are no lesions or adhesions to the rib cage if there is then the carcass is TRYFA not fit for jewish consumption but all right for us to eat only the front end is eaten no back legs and all veins arteries are removed as they are forbidden to eat blood . All animals should be killed with one movement of the knife it must not touch bone or have any chips in it or this is TRYFA unfit for them

I certainly do find my .243 does make quite a bit of a mess - shot a roe buck at the weekend - only thirty yards or so straight through the boiler room and the heart / lungs were completely pulverised. The beast did run and as it was going for wood shot it agian very quickly which just added to the mess. Shoulders not worth saving but plenty of good meat at the back end.

Is the reason why the 6.5 swede such a good calibre is that it doesn't have a particlarly high velocity - 2,650 ft / sec or thereabouts. I am using 100 gn RWS which has a muzzle velocity according to RWS of just over 3000 ft /sec.

Would things work better if I downloaded the .243 to say a 2,800 ft /sec muzzle velocity.?

There is a lot of people who subscribe to the belief that quickest is not always best, but personally I think it is a bit more than speed alone. I shot this Sika Hind with a 243 100 gr Speer HPBT, I was only about 60 yards away.

Deer1.jpg

In classic accuracy style I missed the heart completely and shot it through both lungs. Well, she took off like a startled deer, which of course she was, there was pink frothy blood on the ground so we knew she was well hit, and she had just not realised she was dead yet. About 150 yards away we found her, dead, when we come to the gralloch I retrieved her lungs and both had an entry wound and an exit wound, very neat, very precise the bullet had exited the other side and there was virtually no damage to the carcase. The bullet had not appeared to open up at all, judging by the internal damage there had been no mushrooming at all. Was the round too fast to get it's work done, would a longer distance to the target have allowed it to slow down to open up? was it a rogue round. I don't know, what I do know is that since then I have backed off on the speed for my 243 on my deer rounds. I have no clue to the speeds never did chrony them, just backed off the powder. To be fair I have never had one go that far before with that round in 243.

This one I shot at about 90 yards with a 6.5X55 129 gr hornady Interlock at a range of 85 yards. Sorry about the poor photo quality.

Sikahind.jpg

The round hit the deer and where it's back was it's feet appeared, it really knocked it upside down, it never went anywhere. Hit it in the heart, the result looked as if the heart had been through a liquidiser, not much other damage at all really, the round never exited but, I never found it. That one had to go to the game dealer as we were on a culling mission for someone else.

So is a 243 better or worse than a 6.5? well you must make your own mind up. To me they both do the job, but if I could only have one then it would be the 6.5, the long bullet, with it's high sectional density driven at sensible speeds, penetrates and performs better than it should. It punches above it's weight.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back