DSC1 Shooting test - Air rifle practice

I found a break-barrel springer to be much better practice for maintaining centrefire technique than, for example, rimfire shooting, which I personally find next to useless as a practice aid. (Nothing against rimfire shooting for its own sake, or for learning to shoot with generally). I think it's because the rimfire is almost too similar, and gives you "false" muscle memory (a lot of people short-stroke centrefires, and I wonder if excessive rimfire practice is the cause of that). A good springer also has perhaps a bit more felt recoil. Allows you to really focus!

Muzzle awareness is very important and understandable, when I did my dsc1 even carrying the rifle it has to have muzzle pointing down. Most people or at least myself always carry the other way round. This would be a good thing to practice so it’s one less thing to think about on the day specially if you muscle memory always wants to put it the other way. I guess what I am saying is think about muzzle awareness while you practice all you other marksman ship principals.

Just thought of something else.
Be confident in your shooting and keep the same point of aim. Do not be tempted to chase your grouping.
good luck

Muzzle awareness is very important and understandable, when I did my dsc1 even carrying the rifle it has to have muzzle pointing down. Most people or at least myself always carry the other way round. This would be a good thing to practice so it’s one less thing to think about on the day specially if you muscle memory always wants to put it the other way. I guess what I am saying is think about muzzle awareness while you practice all you other marksman ship principals.

Why did you have to carry the rifle muzzle down during the DSC 1? Presumably it was for the safety walk part of the test? There was no such requirement when I did my test, and we all carried muzzle upwards. And passed.

Last edited:
Tim,
You definitely don't want 50metres target practice with an air rifle for deer shooting, imho. Go maximum 35 meters and just practice. I've got my DSC1 coming up in Feb and that's what I'm doing, although I do a lot of hunting with 177 anyway.

Why did you have to carry the rifle muzzle during the DSC 1? Presumably it was for the safety walk part of the test? There was no such requirement when I did my test, and we all carried muzzle upwards. And passed.

At all times. Saftey walk, loading and unloading before the walk. On the range until it was on bipod pointing down the range.walking down the range to the different fireing positions. I am sure they are all different the assessor was from the basc.

Back