Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waynes Pig

Waynes Pig

It has come to my knowledge that Mr Wayne`s pig (the one he shot with me in Jan 06) has got a very posh medal on the way, come on Wayne spill the beans....

Carl Gustaf
    Gold I believe! Congratulations!

Medal Boar

Hi John
    Yep had a phone call on Saturday from Paul Taylor an excellent stalker and taxidermist from Dorset who got the tusks measured for me with Richard Prior he said it was the first official UK Gold medal. I don't no what the measurements are but when I get the CIC certificate I will post it on the forum.
    John many thanks again, slightly took the shine of the Poland trip a few weeks later.
    I'll chase the huge bugger I saw the other week over the hill to you Saturday night if we see him.

WD

As I'm from America, I'm not familiar with this system. Does being awarded a gold medal mean it is some sort of record breaking animal?

In any case, from reading the other entries I can see a gold medal is good, so congratulations.

GSG

Well done WD being the first means no one can take that away from you.

Thar

Agree with you there Thar, I`m over the moon for Wayne, and all I done was got him in the same field as the pig
    Was bit difficult to tell them apart sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingergirl
    As I'm from America, I'm not familiar with this system. Does being awarded a gold medal mean it is some sort of record breaking animal?

In any case, from reading the other entries I can see a gold medal is good, so congratulations.

GSG
    In Europe we have adopted the CIC (Conseil International de la Chasse)system of scoring trophies which is similar in concept to the SCI, Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young schemes in the US and the Douglas scheme in Aus/NZ.

A deer head is assessed for a number of factors from length, weight. volume, span, tine length, and overall tine numbers as well as colour, symmetry and beauty. The precise combination of factors depends on the species involved. Some measurements are multiplied by a factor to give a weighting to certain aspects of the trophy.

Using a formula these are bought to a total score and depending on the score one of three medals bronze, silver or gold can be awarded.

Most of the measurements are completely numerical and not open to debate but some of the points are awarded (or penalties deducted) for subjective things so you can never be quite sure what your head will score. One of the main criticisms of the system is in this area, for example you could shoot a roe deer that had just cleaned its antlers from velvet and it might lose a couple of points for colour as the colour would not have developed much at that time. That same buck shot a few months later, with of course the same measurements, would get a few more points for colour and that could make the difference between silver and gold.

Wild boar tusks are measured on the basis of the lengths of both sets of tusks to which up to 5 extra points can be added for beauty and then up to 10 deducted for penalties for example for unequal length and too small a grinding surface on the lower tusk.

Wayne's boar would have to score at least 120 to get a gold. You can see the various measuring methods on the CIC website www.cic-wildlife.org

Re: Medal Boar

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES
    Hi John
    Yep had a phone call on Saturday from Paul Taylor an excellent stalker and taxidermist from Dorset who got the tusks measured for me with Richard Prior he said it was the first official UK Gold medal. I don't no what the measurements are but when I get the CIC certificate I will post it on the forum.
    John many thanks again, slightly took the shine of the Poland trip a few weeks later.
    I'll chase the huge bugger I saw the other week over the hill to you Saturday night if we see him.

WD
    Wayne, it's possibly only the 2nd medal pig of any colour from the UK, in his annual report of deer trophies in the Shooting Times in February 07 Richard Prior reported the first medal boar which was a bronze for a Dorset pig so yours will be the 2nd medal and the 1st gold. There may have been others but so far not publicised.

Incidentally I was told of a pig shot in Sussex that turned the scales at 460lbs, nearly as big as the big old boy on John's patch.

malcolm
    Congratulations Wayne, what a memory for you, hope you have many more. Have you posted a Piccy of the porker yet I would like to see it?

Paul K,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes things much clearer. Also saved me having to Google it, which I realized I could have done after I asked the question.

I appreciate the information. I always like to hear how other countries do things.

GSG