Waynes Pig

john.d.m

It has come to my knowledge that Mr Wayne`s pig (the one he shot with me in Jan 06) has got a very posh medal on the way, come on Wayne spill the beans.... :D :D :D

Medal Boar

Hi John
Yep had a phone call on Saturday from Paul Taylor an excellent stalker and taxidermist from Dorset who got the tusks measured for me with Richard Prior he said it was the first official UK Gold medal. I don't no what the measurements are but when I get the CIC certificate I will post it on the forum.
John many thanks again, slightly took the shine of the Poland trip a few weeks later.
I'll chase the huge bugger I saw the other week over the hill to you Saturday night if we see him. :D

WD

As I'm from America, I'm not familiar with this system. Does being awarded a gold medal mean it is some sort of record breaking animal?

In any case, from reading the other entries I can see a gold medal is good, so congratulations.

GSG

Agree with you there Thar, I`m over the moon for Wayne, and all I done was got him in the same field as the pig :D
Was bit difficult to tell them apart sometimes... ;) ;)

Gunslingergirl said:
As I'm from America, I'm not familiar with this system. Does being awarded a gold medal mean it is some sort of record breaking animal?

In any case, from reading the other entries I can see a gold medal is good, so congratulations.

GSG

In Europe we have adopted the CIC (Conseil International de la Chasse)system of scoring trophies which is similar in concept to the SCI, Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young schemes in the US and the Douglas scheme in Aus/NZ.

A deer head is assessed for a number of factors from length, weight. volume, span, tine length, and overall tine numbers as well as colour, symmetry and beauty. The precise combination of factors depends on the species involved. Some measurements are multiplied by a factor to give a weighting to certain aspects of the trophy.

Using a formula these are bought to a total score and depending on the score one of three medals bronze, silver or gold can be awarded.

Most of the measurements are completely numerical and not open to debate but some of the points are awarded (or penalties deducted) for subjective things so you can never be quite sure what your head will score. One of the main criticisms of the system is in this area, for example you could shoot a roe deer that had just cleaned its antlers from velvet and it might lose a couple of points for colour as the colour would not have developed much at that time. That same buck shot a few months later, with of course the same measurements, would get a few more points for colour and that could make the difference between silver and gold.

Wild boar tusks are measured on the basis of the lengths of both sets of tusks to which up to 5 extra points can be added for beauty and then up to 10 deducted for penalties for example for unequal length and too small a grinding surface on the lower tusk.

Wayne's boar would have to score at least 120 to get a gold. You can see the various measuring methods on the CIC website www.cic-wildlife.org

Re: Medal Boar

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Hi John
Yep had a phone call on Saturday from Paul Taylor an excellent stalker and taxidermist from Dorset who got the tusks measured for me with Richard Prior he said it was the first official UK Gold medal. I don't no what the measurements are but when I get the CIC certificate I will post it on the forum.
John many thanks again, slightly took the shine of the Poland trip a few weeks later.
I'll chase the huge bugger I saw the other week over the hill to you Saturday night if we see him. :D

WD

Wayne, it's possibly only the 2nd medal pig of any colour from the UK, in his annual report of deer trophies in the Shooting Times in February 07 Richard Prior reported the first medal boar which was a bronze for a Dorset pig so yours will be the 2nd medal and the 1st gold. There may have been others but so far not publicised.

Incidentally I was told of a pig shot in Sussex that turned the scales at 460lbs, nearly as big as the big old boy on John's patch.

Congratulations Wayne, what a memory for you, hope you have many more. Have you posted a Piccy of the porker yet I would like to see it?

Paul K,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes things much clearer. Also saved me having to Google it, which I realized I could have done after I asked the question.

I appreciate the information. I always like to hear how other countries do things.

GSG

PIg pics

Malcolm said

Congratulations Wayne, what a memory for you, hope you have many more. Have you posted a Piccy of the porker yet I would like to see it?

Hi Malcolm there are a couple of him in the trophy room already, none of the removed tusks yet I never took any before I sent them off.

John DM said

I`m over the moon for Wayne, and all I done was got him in the same field as the pig
Was bit difficult to tell them apart sometimes...

John we didn't smell very different either by the time we loaded him.

Thanks CG,GSG and Thar

WD

Wayne's pig

Well done Wayne, congrats on your big pig, I hope you tell me all about it when we meet up, well done again.
Andy

Malcolm, I put another pic of Waynes pig in my album.
(Waynes the one with the glasses on) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy, you will enjoy yourself with Wayne, he`s a good bloke and knows his stuff.

Well,
last night I took Deer-fox out looking for the pigs, and probably had the quickest,easiest result in the last 6/7 years.
Pulled up in the truck to have a look,was still light, we saw a pig mooching down across the neighbours rough bank,and he was so kind to come through the boundary so after a quick dash (approx 500yds) and a slow stalk about 100yds, we got to a tree which DF could use as a rest (he is getting on a bit :D ) we waited `til the pig obliged and showed himself out of the bracken and then "bang" a 110lb pig on the ground.
Then, a hell of a drag ( I hate pig stalking sometimes) back to the truck, and,if we hadn`t of stopped for a chat with some neighbours we would have been back @ my place within the hour.
D-F`s comment was,"this pig shooting is easy", which is very true sometimes, but most of the time they do make you work :cry:
Saw the prints of a large pig, I would think it was my "friend" but didn`t see him, he didn`t get that size by being daft and making it easy for me,but I will persevere with him.

No way Apollo, I not making it any harder than it is !!! :confused: and any chance of an "easy" night I`m going to grab with both hands. :lol:

As long as you dont get used to it :lol: because you know better than anyone they are an elusive quarry when they want to be....

elusive boar

Hi Apollo,
Can't disagree with that we were out same night as JDM and D/F never saw a thing, we heard a coulple in the wood but they never came out even though they had been feeding around our seat for a few nights BUGGERS. Well done Deer Fox first UK boar.

WD

Hi Wayne
Our place has gone quiet at the mo as the ground is to hard and there are no crops to drag them out, good for the landowner but not so much fun as it was in the winter.. ;) ;)

HARD GROUND

HI APOLLO
SAME HERE, BUT THIS BIT OF RAIN HAS GOT THEM ROOTING AGAIN AT OURS, JUST NOT SATURDAY NIGHT. :lol:

Back