archery black bear, spot and stalk!!

conibear

View attachment 2512

it was a really short hunt,I left my house at 7pm and headed down a old trail I like to berry pick!
I had not been walking for 5 mins!
when i heard this guy in the willows , I Could not see him but i could hear him, I started to get bear fever!
i could hear him feeding on the berries!
He was around 20 yards away,I could see the odd glimpse of him!he started heading towards a small clearing were i could get a clear shot.
I drew my bow and waited for him to come out,a few seconds later he poked his head out into the clearing and i confirmed by his head scars that he was a boar.He stepped out fully and i shot him at a ranged 15 yards.
he took of lika race horse into the thick stuff.
I waited 30mins or so before looking for him although i new he was double lung shot! I found my arrow soaked in bubbly blood sticking in the dirt were he had entered the clearing!a very good sign in bowhunting,there was blood everywere and he had dropped no more than 25 yards away!
a very easy blood trail to follow!
bears can run extremely fast,they say up to around 40 miles an hour.both up hill or down hill!

thanks dan

Last edited:
Nice one Dan. Black bear is definitely on my list. Alaska next year I think.

alaska would be awesome!
its better value than canada also!
I would love to hunt a dall sheep and a alaskan moose ,and i would like a white wolf ,to go next to my black wolf on the wall

Awesome... the right skills and experience with a weapon and a good result..

Damn your heart must have been pounding facing such an adversary with a bow..

Nice picture

ATB

Terry

conibear,

firstly, i am no tree hugger nor an anti.
i dont like, as a rule from what i have seem ( agreed limited ), bow hunting.
nice picture well done, no disrepect meant, as they say if its your cuppa then fair dues mate.
good clean kill, cant ask for more.

atb f.

Last edited:
I understand "Skint" Dan, the contact is there should circumstances change. How about a picture of your wolf?

Nice one and a quick clean kill by all accounts. What does bear taste like?

it tastes very good! the fat makes excellant lard for pastry as well.it can be a little grissaly meat so prefer to make sausage and stews from it!

I gave this bear to my neighbor

thanks dan

I understand "Skint" Dan, the contact is there should circumstances change. How about a picture of your wolf?
hi
if you check out my gallery theres a picture of some wolves and coyotes that i trapped!
and my aveter is a nice male timber wolf !! he weighed 105# and was a young male, the wolves get real big up here! 150#+ is not unusual!

wolves are really dificalt to hunt! amazing senses ,excellant vision ,a sense of smell 5 times better than a blood hound and fantastic hearing!
They decimate the big game herds over here,and are starting to get out of control!theres a $250 bounty on each wolf skull you hand in,
the problem in bc is that you cant successfully control them from the air due to the thick timber here.Unlike alaska were its open terrain ideal conditions for a contoled cull from the air.
wolves are right at the top of the food chain,they will pull bears from there dens and kill them and steal kills from them also!
ive hunted them for 3 winters with very limited success!lots of near misses and close calls. but they are very cunning and im covinced they have a sixth sense!
cheers

Last edited:
Had a look at your Photo Gallery. Love the lynx!! Very different from the Caracal (Lynx) that we hunt in RSA. The wolf and bear photos are excellent.

Had a look at your Photo Gallery. Love the lynx!! Very different from the Caracal (Lynx) that we hunt in RSA. The wolf and bear photos are excellent.

thanks schwarzwild

he weighed 32# which is huge for a canadian lynx!
they dont get nearly as big as euro lynx!

his teeth and claws were like razers ,would not want to corner 1!

beutiful animal ,I got him when his pelt was in prime condition!
they have a 10 year cycle tied in with the snow shoe hare population!
there numbers are at a peak at the moment!

are you from RSA ??

No Dan. I am a Jock who lives in England. I have been travelling to RSA since 1981 and have represented an RSA Outfitter since 1997. I hunt there once or twice a year. If I had more money I would hunt more often. I really did like that lynx. Been to Canada a time or two. I worked (and sometimes still do) in the oil and gas industry. Have visited Edmonton, Calgary, in Sescatchewan, Jasper, Banff and Toronto. Never hunted Canada though I did take some pictures when driving from Edmonton to Jasper. Bears, deer and lovely lakes.

heres a typical lynx set, i make,!
the small box on the left is for weasels (ermine)!which are a pain in the arse around lynx sets!
the guy in the pic is my father!
i was using snow shoe hare for bait! beaver is also xcelant bait as it dont freeze!and stinks

View attachment 2538

Dan, black bear just made it to the top of my list!! Going to Newfoundland in May 2011, with five like minded hunters. Two bears each plus salmon and trout fishing. One bear with rifle, one with a bow if I can get good enough by then (I will take some stringent bow testing first but I do have some good mentors). If I don't feel I am good enough to hunt with a bow, I will take both with rifle.

Ive watched some good hunting shows on newfoundland,some good size blackies from there.
great your getting into bowhunting Its amazing.I still get the shakes even when hunting does with my bow.
try to practice with broadheads if you can.It will help you out with your acuracy on your hunt
I am moving back to BC in the spring as I miss it terribly.been living in southend the past few months managed to persuade the wife LOL.
looking forward to trout fishing.and bear hunting, and trying for my first turkey, cant wait !!

Last edited:
Back