Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Deer in Devon

Red Deer in Devon

Hi,
    I am going after a Red Stag this weekend down in Devon does anyone have any tips?
    I will be shooting around Tiverton on a hill side, there is a high seat looking over grassland and beyond that is woodland.
    At the moment the hinds and the calves are out on the fields and there hasn't been too many signs of Stags.
    I will be staying on the farm and will be getting out at first light with my friend who has the permission on the land.
    Anyone have any tips bringing in the Stags? Maybe saltlicks or food?
    Actually just posting to tell someone about it, family and friends are bored of hearing about it.

Thanks

Good luck Rich,

Good to hear you sound fit and well...

ATB

Alex

I heard leaving a cream tea at the base of your high seat helps bring em in or was that tourists i forget

You COULD try putting out a salt lick or carrots but this really needs to done over a few weeks to get them coming in regular. This has worked for me in the past but at this time of year there is so much food around they barely need to break cover to feed.
    My tip would be to get onto the ground before daybreak, find a good vantage point that is gonna give you a safe back stop and wait.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

wadas

Quote Originally Posted by nielaj View Post
    Good luck Rich,

Good to hear you sound fit and well...

ATB

Alex
    Thanks Alex!

Yes, feeling very excited for the weekend. Hopefully I can provide a write as half as good as yours on my return!

Cheers

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepolecat View Post
    I am going after a Red Stag this weekend down in Devon does anyone have any tips?
    I will be shooting around Tiverton on a hill side, there is a high seat looking over grassland and beyond that is woodland.
    I hope you have a good time but if you've never been in the area before then my tip would be to be guarded in who you talk to about it. Stag Hunting is a religion for some and you might run the risk of creating problems for your friend or the landowner if someone takes umbrage at rifle shooting, (and believe me, some do).

BTW. If you want to meet up for a pint I'll probably be around - pm with a mobile etc.
    Last edited by Orion; 31-08-2010 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I hope you have a good time but if you've never been in the area before then my tip would be to be guarded in who you talk to about it. Stag Hunting is a religion for some and you might run the risk of creating problems for your friend or the landowner if someone takes umbrage at rifle shooting.
    Understood. Was there in April and I shot a yearling there. They have quite a bit of damage there.

This is why I am mentioning this on a Stalking site and no where else. I am not particularly a trophy hunter but would like a nice set on the wall, then I am done. I do it for fun and the carcass, nothing is wasted. I will preserve the skin and the meat will be for me and the family the bones for the dogs.
    You can't argue with that! Unless you are a vegan/vegetarian/animal rights supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    I heard leaving a cream tea at the base of your high seat helps bring em in or was that tourists i forget
    That might prevent me from getting up the high seat! Actually I don't like high seats anyway, they are too high!

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepolecat View Post
    You can't argue with that! Unless you are a vegan/vegetarian/animal rights supporter.
    You forgot the stag hunting supporter!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You forgot the stag hunting supporter!
    Ha Ha! I forgot about them.

Personally I am not against them and wouldn't be telling strangers what I was upto either.

I have enough meat eating animal rights people living in my street that I know to keep quiet.