Flying from Southampton

EMcC

I am looking at flights to Croatia from Southampton with Lufthansa - I know there is a smoke break for the pilot half way :) and it takes an age to get there but I want to go on a Friday and Croatia airlines don't arrive in Zagreb until 23.25 hrs much too late for my onward travel.
The question is more to do with the handling of firearms and ammo as my last trip to Croatia from Heathrow was a right carry on.
The airline advised me to put my ammo in my hold luggage but Security refused to accept it like that.
As my ammo was in a tin cash box, I did not class that as 'Baggage Handler Proof' so was a bit concerned especially when it arrived in Zagreb on the conveyor belt with a big red label on it bigger than the box itself.
Coming back it was the opposite, the ammo had to be put in my hold luggage as advised/instructed by Security !!
Has anybody travelled through Southampton airport with firearms and ammo ?

I flew from Southampton to Scotland & back in December on Flybe & it was all very easy. I notified the check in desk on arrival that I was checking in a firearm & ammo & a very knowledgable & helpful guy dealt with it all from there.
He checked the paperwork, my rifle & ammo storage which was a lockable tin in my hold luggage.
The hold luggage was checked in at normal desk, the rifle was scanned through oversize luggage & in 20 minutes I was sat in Costa.
I reckon some of it comes down to who deals with you on the day as the process at Glasgow airport on the return leg was nowhere near as slick & there was some confusion over how to deal with checking in firearms & ammo.

Thanks for that. it sounds a lot more reassuring than my last trip through Heathrow.
I didn't know Flybe accepted rifles and ammo, I wonder if they fly to Zagreb :)

Thanks for that. it sounds a lot more reassuring than my last trip through Heathrow.
I didn't know Flybe accepted rifles and ammo, I wonder if they fly to Zagreb :)
I have nothing positive to say about my experiences with flybe and firearms. Suffice to say that I have never flown with them since.

I have flown to Europe a number of times from Southampton with firearms. Can't remember which airlines but the airport was a breath of fresh air compared to Heathrow, no drama at all.

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting good vibes already and my proposed trip is still some way off.
I still have to investigate FlyB.

Do not fly through Heathrow. Southampton is a very friendly little airport - just how they should be. Flybe are good as well - simply declare your firearms at time of booking. Pay a £30 handling fee. At the airport you get special treatment and are fast tracked through check in. You fill in one form, your FAC and European Permit are checked and your bags are taken from you.

At the other end, don't stand at the baggage carousel with the masses. Instead you go a collection point and luggage is brought to you.

Firearms in a locked hard sided case. Ammo in a an ammo box inside your duffle bag. Ammo box should prevent cartridges rattling about etc.

I have also flown Lufthansa from Edinburgh to Frankfurt and a complete pleasure compared to normal airline travel.

With a rifle I would suggest having a shorter case and taking the action out of the stock, and removing scope. A short case is so much easier to travel with in terms of getting in and out of cars etc. At the other end reassemble - most rifles will be pretty much on zero, but you should check the zero before hunting.

As regards ammo, check with your outfitter what is available locally and the preferred bullet type for the local game. Might be worth getting him to get you a box or two prior to arriving.

Fly often out of Southampton, flybe left us stranded overnight ref the plane getting a flat tyre in Amsterdam before onward to the UK (poo happens) but they paid for the hotel & food and a 250euro payment went into my account later all acc to flying regulations so I cannot complain. The airport itself is small and very easy to go through.

Do not fly through Heathrow. Southampton is a very friendly little airport - just how they should be. Flybe are good as well - simply declare your firearms at time of booking. Pay a £30 handling fee. At the airport you get special treatment and are fast tracked through check in. You fill in one form, your FAC and European Permit are checked and your bags are taken from you. At the other end, don't stand at the baggage carousel with the masses. Instead you go a collection point and luggage is brought to you.Firearms in a locked hard sided case. Ammo in a an ammo box inside your duffle bag. Ammo box should prevent cartridges rattling about etc. I have also flown Lufthansa from Edinburgh to Frankfurt and a complete pleasure compared to normal airline travel.With a rifle I would suggest having a shorter case and taking the action out of the stock, and removing scope. A short case is so much easier to travel with in terms of getting in and out of cars etc. At the other end reassemble - most rifles will be pretty much on zero, but you should check the zero before hunting.As regards ammo, check with your outfitter what is available locally and the preferred bullet type for the local game. Might be worth getting him to get you a box or two prior to arriving.
Been doing all of that three times each winter since 2000 but going through either Heathrow or Gatwick and each time the system changes - not for the better I might add.
It is just that Southampton is much easier to get to for me and now that Croatia airlines have changed their timings and days of flights and BA are definitely not for me, am now struggling to find flights that tie in with my shooting days.
It certainly looks as if Southampton might be my 'Go To' airport from now on.

Hi Eddie,
southampton would be a good shout my other halfs family use it to go from Inverness and Glasgow they're very pleased with the little airport
jab

It is a hell of a run up on takeoff as the A27 motorway is at the end of the runway so no half measures really a poo or bust jobby but fun too.

It is a hell of a run up on takeoff as the A27 motorway is at the end of the runway so no half measures really a poo or bust jobby but fun too.

If you want to Poo yourself fly from Cardiff. #
The runway ends at the cliff edge so sometimes the plane drops or has a sudden rise as it leaves the cliff edge depending on the wind.
Coming back is worse because sometimes there is an upward draught from the cliff and there has been times when the pilot gives up trying to land and flys in to Bristol instead.

Well that's it, I have just booked my flight through the Lufthansa call centre in South Africa !!
I didn't recognise the accent as German so asked the telephonist where she was - what a surprise that was at 10p a minute + your local rate !!
A question for any of the others that have flown from Southampton with firearms. I paid for my flight and was quoted a price of 50 euros each way for the firearm which has to be paid at the aairport. I was told that todays rate worked out at £44 but still could not pay in advance. That could be problematical as it will take time at the airport and at what rate, todays or the rate at the time which could be either way ?
The only time I have ever paid any money at an airport at the airport was when I was stung at Munich coming back to UK so now am beginning to get a twitch :(

Back