Thread: Barrel swopping

Barrel swopping

Should i buy a new rifle or will a barrel swop be better
    i have a sauer 202 out back in 6.5x55 and i am tempted to get a 30.06 barrel for it.. As it is a modular system this seems like a good idea , then i can have a 3006 and 65x55 , so gentelmen is it worth it or not

Quote Originally Posted by 65X55 View Post
    Should i buy a new rifle or will a barrel swop be better
    i have a sauer 202 out back in 6.5x55 and i am tempted to get a 30.06 barrel for it.. As it is a modular system this seems like a good idea , then i can have a 3006 and 65x55 , so gentelmen is it worth it or not
    I would say a rifle similar to a sauer 202 would cost more than a new barrel could be wrong, if you can afford a new rifle in 30.06 nice to have 2 rifles and the 6.5x55 is a great calibre.

I suspect you could be in for a shock when you get a price for a new barrel and not sure but you may have to get a new bolt as well and a magazine,i did look into it as i've got a 202 .243 and wanted a 30.06, other than being able to just have the one scope which would have saved cash it was better to just get another rifle and be done with it,at least you'll have a spare set up should one be out of action.
    Neil.

I have exactly that same combination using a Sauer 202 Elegance.

Downside, it is certainly not a cheap exercise! My 30-06 barrel cost about 700.00 (new) but you will be able to use the same bolt and magazine for both 6.5x55 and 30-06, I also use the same moderator too. Unless you want to re-zero (rather than just a check shot for piece of mind) between barrel swaps, you will also need to factor in a set of swing off bases, and rings (x2) and the cost of a another scope!

I can switch barrels and scopes in few minutes, its probably not for everyone, but they are beautiful, superior quality, well made rifles.

ATB

T

Thomas has it right. Barrel swap only. Uses the same bolt and mag.

Upside is you get a new calibre for your Sauer for a fraction of the price of a new one, which is what, 1750?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

new rifle is about 1900 quid i brought my outback in 2003 and i love it so think thats prob the way to go flutted 3006 barrel i have already got swing offs on it so sounds good idea cheers lads

Account Suspended
    You just sold ya 30-06

Guys,

With any break down rifle ( Sauer, Blaser, Mauser, Merkel etc.) the manufacturers mounts really do return to zero. Add in a quality European scope and you can work out different zeros for differing bullet weights within one calibre or differing barrels etc.

Just note the +/- clicks from a "Base Zero" and the scope will be as true as the mount.

Now, what tends to happen is that you add scopes to fit the task, then another stock etc.....

Stan

[QUOTE=65X55;131517]Should i buy a new rifle or will a barrel swop be better
    i have a sauer 202 out back in 6.5x55 and i am tempted to get a 30.06 barrel for it.. As it is a modular system this seems like a good idea , then i can have a 3006 and 65x55 , so gentelmen is it worth it or not[/QUOi
    i wouldnt , think about the back pressure ? the 30.06 a mans caliber and putting that on what can best be described as a big 243 would be at best embarresing. There is nothing to be gained unless you have damaged your barrel through abuse or neglect .