Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the closest shot you have ever taken on a wild deer?

What is the closest shot you have ever taken on a wild deer?

Hi All,

Many times I have heard tell of long shots taken at wild deer (ie in excess of 250 yds), however my question by way of contrast is

What is the shortest range shot you have ever taken at a truely wild deer?

Maybe add a brief account of the situation if time allows.........

Lakey

A 20 yard Roe doe, first time out stalking with a guide in Shropshire.
    We had stalked round since daybreak and seen nothing, being 17 and keen for a shot this was a bit of a downer, then as we walked back to the vehicle a Roe doe dives out of the hedge and stands staring at us, at this the stalker says shoot it so I put 168grn Hornady match .308 round in its chest. I was absolutely chuffed to bits as you can imagine.

Now I laugh at the memory and wonder if I would do the same again... who knows...

Leon

i can beat 20 yards roe doe last winter 10 foot same thing just stood barking at me on the other side of a wall a daft yearling

Under 20 feet.. Staying over with Frankie and Malc on his Lease..

It rained at all angles, thunder and lightening and the hailstones were the size of golf balls..

But boy did we all have a laugh..

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

About 25 feet. Muntjac doe passed the high seat I was in. Was using a borrowed 260rem on a Barnard action, match grade barrel, Z6i 3-18x50, 140gr Partitions.

Talk about being over equipped, I could have shot it with a 4" 38 special or my 10 year old's 20lb curve bow.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Established Poster
    At 10 and 20 yards, is it so close that one would aim dead on, or should one aim a little low, and if so, roughly how low? (I guess I am assuming a zero at 100 yards.)

(I feel I should know this, but better ask now than find out in the field!)

crawled up behind and cought a sika calf ,one wet windy morning with a danish client

Mine was a fallow buck in thick cover that was trailing a load of wire from it's back left leg, taken at something like 20ft, certainly no more, and I had to neck shoot it. It took some time to calm myself down to take the shot, my heart was pounding fit to burst I was that excited. It got me my first patch of stalking.

My rifle would be shooting low at that range, but only about 1.5".

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

A client wounded a Stag which made off into a small but thick patch of conifers, waited for it to appear at the other end
    which it did not, it had left an easy to follow blood trail, so set off on hands and knees to follow thinking it was probably dead, I don't know why as the trees were so thick but thankfully I had taken the rifle with me, had only gone about 20 feet into the trees when he charged me head on, shot him point blank in the head, could not get out of his way nor lift the rifle to my shoulder just pushed the barrel to wards him and pulled the trigger, ended up with a 17 stone Stag lying on top of me

Quote Originally Posted by NewForester View Post
    At 10 and 20 yards, is it so close that one would aim dead on, or should one aim a little low, and if so, roughly how low? (I guess I am assuming a zero at 100 yards.)

(I feel I should know this, but better ask now than find out in the field!)
    No not low but high depending on the height your scope is mounted may be an inch or two.
    Neil.