Thread: Help please with .243 loads. I am just starting out !!!

Account Suspended

Help please with .243 loads. I am just starting out !!!

Hiya Guys,

I am about to start reloading, I have all the gear and am ready to go.

I will be loading to get the best possible accuracy to enable me to hit rabbits out to 600+yds.

I am using Norma brass that I have had as factory ammo which has already been fired once only, it has been cleaned till its like new inside and out with vinegar. I do not intend to full length size the cases but I do intend to use the lee trimmers to make all cases the same length for uniformity. I intend to use federal primers.

I have been given a fair bit of advice and I intend to buy some H414, N140, or H4350 powder and load up from there.

I intend load 87grain V-Max bullets and set them initially at 10thou off the lands and work back from there taking measurements from a bullet head mounted in a split shell casing to set the start datum point.

I was going to start from the minimum powder weights and make 5 bullets in each increasing .5 grain powder weight up to the max powder weight and assess the resulting groups for accuracy.

If I wasn't happy with the results I intend to set the bullet heads an additional 20thou back from the lands and repeat the steps above.

Am I about right with the powders, bullets settings and approach for this rifle ???

Have I missed anything important ???
    Last edited by robbobsam; 31-08-2010 at 19:17.

Wish I could see a rabbit at 600+yards

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    I took one at 455 last week. Problem is the majority are at 600yds.

i would start off with 5-10 off lands but instead of changing the seating depth adjust powder charge.h414 and h4350 are good choices personally i would start with varget the 4350 being my second .you should find a good load with varget between 35.5 and 37.0 grains but remember to work up and look for signs of pressure.barrel contour and bedding will come into play as far as accuracy goes.
    hope this helps if you have any questions pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    I took one at 455 last week. Problem is the majority are at 600yds.
    They must be some seriously edgy rabbits! I can normally get to within 400 yards of them up here.

Not .243 experience but if it helps, I started my loads quite a bit off the lands and found no real increase in accuracy and grouping until I got up close - to 5 thou. That's where I hit the sweet spot and that's the length I load them all now.

DC

my .243 didnt like 4350 but i can get superb accuracy with 39gns 4895 and 70grn nosler balistic tip. for deer i tend to use 100grn spbt over 33grn 4895.

4895 will probably be a better choice than 4350 same as Pete mine don't like it much bit on the slow side not to say yours won't like it though,enjoy yourself.
    ATB Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Boggy, they are certainly bigger than clays@ 600!............guys were smashing clays on stakes @ 600 yds with Griff & Lee on a long range shoot in Scotland a wee while back.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Boggy, they are certainly bigger than clays@ 600!............guys were smashing clays on stakes @ 600 yds with Griff & Lee on a long range shoot in Scotland a wee while back.
    Yes I know seen the same thing done with hens eggs can't remember the range but it was impressive.