Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 'M' dies

Account Suspended

Lyman 'M' dies

Does anyone else here use Lyman neck expanding 'M' dies?... and... do you use them after just neck sizing or full length resizing?... and... with or without the "neck-button" left in your resizing dies?

The "M" dies were really designed for cast bullet shooting where the case mouth must be expanded to accept the bullet to prevent marring the bullet during seating. The "M" die puts in a square-ish seat for the bullet to sit into before seating. You use it after sizing and before seating, leaving the neck expander button in your sizing die.

Neck expanding works well with jacketed bullets as well. It helps seat the bullet squarely. Unfortunately, the "M" did isn't the greatest design in the world. It works the brass hard. I have several of them, collected over the years, that I only use for starting an oversized expander ball into brass when "necking-up" cartridges in reforming operations.

A much better die is the Lee Universal Neck Expander die. It works with all calibers and puts a gentle, almost imperceptible flare on the case mouth. (Much like Lymans VLD chamfering tool without losing brass) I use it on many jacketed rifle loads but especially those with very thin necks like the Hornet. Of course, I use it for all cast bullet loads as well.~Muir

Account Suspended
    Never used the Lee universal flaring tool Muir but I do like using the calibre specific Lyman neck expanders (without crimping). NO shavings, consistant neck tension and tight groups

Established Poster
    I have been using the M dies for a number of years first started with cast bullets, read some where that they cut down on case streaching not sure if true but if you have them use them it won't hurt, I use mine with the expander button out
    makes resizing the case eazier you don't have pull it back over the button especialy if you have a less than sturdy bench
    Also I tumble the cases to get rind of the case lube and use a dry lube when expanding the neck, it's a bit of mucking about if only doing a few cases but I do at least a 100 at a time beats watching TV
    Robert.

If it works for you, that's great, but I've used (caliber specific) RCBS, Pacific, and Lyman neck expander units and the Lee spanks them all from where I stand. That seems like such a funky accessory to find in the UK as you can hardly ever find them here without mail-ordering. How'd you come across your M-Die?? Show up her and I'll give you a few more!~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    That seems like such a funky accessory to find in the UK as you can hardly ever find them here without mail-ordering. How'd you come across your M-Die?? Show up her and I'll give you a few more!~Muir
    Where's "here"?.... If it's Montana... I just might The 'M' die thing started with my reloading supplier. He's a keen shooter, civilian and military, and he's a commercial reloader (again, civilian and military). Neck sizing, from the inside, just makes more sense, I guess. You pick the size of orifice, if you'll pardon the expression, and that seems a good idea. It certainly works for me.

Sounds like a good alternative to the traditional expander ball. I usually adjust the expander for the neck tension I want anyhow (polish down or turn a new one), which is a an oft overlooked part of reloading, and use the Lee Expander for ease of seating when needed. ~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post
    read some where that they cut down on case streaching not sure if true but if you have them use them it won't hurt, I use mine with the expander button out
    and use a dry lube when expanding the neck, it's a bit of mucking about if only doing a few cases but I do at least a 100 at a time beats watching TV
    Robert.
    Same technique as me Robert. Which dry lube are you using?

Ahhh Muir,

I have a Lyman M in .31 long for the .303. brought it in G&T Shooting Coulsdon. (Just Sth of London) quite few shoot cast in the ole 303 you know even in the UK .

I don't quite agree with you Muir as regards the Lee expander die. I use this die when loading cast and copper plated bullets in my 8x57 no problems at all. However, when it comes to belling the mouth of 9.3x74 cases I find that the die is just that little bit too short in the body and I land up with the die body and end cap holding by just a few turns of thread. Perhaps Lee need to alter the design slightly to accomodate longer cases more readily. But as regards value for money for money it can't be beaten, but there again I ordered it direct from the U.S.