Strange encounter

dodgyrog

Driving up to do a bit of stalking yesterday and had to stop to let a Turkey cross the road!
Nowhere near any buildings.
Whatever next?

A local shoot near me has been releasing black turkeys on his shoots as well as pheasant and partridge. I nearly ran one over too!:eek:
I'm not sure what they fly like but reckon they'd have a bit more meat than a partridge.:D

A friend of mine was standing in his kitchen washing dishes when an ostrich walked across his paddock. Do you know it is possible to get a 243 out of a gun cabinet load it and shoot before an ostrich walks 50 yards. And they taste very nice. Keith

A local shoot near me has been releasing black turkeys on his shoots as well as pheasant and partridge. I nearly ran one over too!:eek:
I'm not sure what they fly like but reckon they'd have a bit more meat than a partridge.:D

hi
are they wild turkeys hes releasing or domestic turkeys ??

their meant to be a real chalange to shoot! if there wild turkeys!!

They fly like rubbish unless you have a mountain to launch them off and then when they do fly you havent got any cartridges in your gun. Ask Adamant:D

John.

Once they're off the ground, they look like a Blenheim bomber coming out of the cover - and in my defence, I had just shot a rather good high crossing pheasant, which is such a rarity that in my excitement, I forgot to reload :oops:...

Anyway, I've gone off shooting turkeys since being introduced to long-range Ostrich hunting in Africa last month ;):lol:

A.

Ha ha, when I first started stalking on the shoot I beat for I was out one morning when a huge thing flew/glided past my head. I damn near soiled myself, it came from nowhere and just missed me. It was a peacock, which, up until then I had always presumed (no, I don't know why) were flightless.

Ha ha, when I first started stalking on the shoot I beat for I was out one morning when a huge thing flew/glided past my head. I damn near soiled myself, it came from nowhere and just missed me. It was a peacock, which, up until then I had always presumed (no, I don't know why) were flightless.

I heard that there eggs was a funny shape and colour:D

We released some American Bush turkys' for two years, only 20 each year. We shot 3. Other folks had the rest. Oddly they all went missing before Christmas.

They used to walk past the stops with no fear whatsoever, and if you went feeding the pheasants on the straw rides they would damn near mug you.

ft

Once they're off the ground, they look like a Blenheim bomber coming out of the cover - and in my defence, I had just shot a rather good high crossing pheasant, which is such a rarity that in my excitement, I forgot to reload :oops:...

A.
Its true Adam had just shot a good overhead bird and it was a real bugger that it happened that way as he was determined that a turkey would be in the bag that day. Thats shooting for you though and there is always this seasons turkeys to have a go at mate. It was bloody funny though.:D
John.

Oh no, we're all going to prison :scared: The latest NGO magazine has a brief article that says it is illegal to release an alien species such as Turkeys...

Turkeys? What Turkeys...:-|:norty:

We've got quite a few peacocks (peafowl to be correct) around here and apparently they've been in the area for 20 years, there's a £50 "fine" on one shoot if you knock one down and I get them in the garden at least once a week.

just read that artical ,i might go to jail as well cos ive just opened the pens up and out came the turkeys,gelinies and reeves do u think i am in sh1t

On a shoot near home they put down Comebacks with the pheasants, my brother was invited along for a day last year, and his host "forgot" to mention the 50quid fine, luckily for his wallet and the bird that went directly over him, he missed it, despite shooting every other bird that went over like a machine. He got a bit of ribbing, more for missing the sitter than he would have got for shooting it!

Back