flying with rifle - a few more questions

J111

Hi Guys

I'm off to NZ in March and am going to be flying with a rifle which is a first for me. I have informed the airline and they have confirmed all ok with them. I have registered with the NZ police for a visitors permit. I have got a few questions:

- Do I need to register with Heathrow airport in some way? I've tried finding details on their website but they just says you can't fly with a gun!
- Bolt out if rifle but in the same rifle box?
- Can I travel with a 4" knife? Stick it in the box with the rifle? (ditto on the heathrow website is says you can't take anything longer that 6cm)
- Any advice on what ammo box to get? Is an ordinary metal petty cash box suitable with an integral lock?

Thanks

Hi Guys

I'm off to NZ in March and am going to be flying with a rifle which is a first for me. I have informed the airline and they have confirmed all ok with them. I have registered with the NZ police for a visitors permit. I have got a few questions:

- Do I need to register with Heathrow airport in some way? I've tried finding details on their website but they just says you can't fly with a gun!
- Can I travel with a 4" knife? Stick it in the box with the rifle? (ditto on the heathrow website is says you can't take anything longer that 6cm)
- Any advice on what ammo box to get? Is an ordinary metal petty cash box suitable with an integral lock?

Thanks

Petty cash boxes are rubbish TBH
Ammo should be in either the original packaging or something like the MTM/Plano boxes & if more security is required, put the boxes in something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plano-Ammunition-Field-Storage-Green/dp/B004W3WC84
I'd put the knife in there too.

.................Ammo should be in either the original packaging or something like the MTM/Plano boxes..................

I would amend that to "Ammo HAS to be in the original packaging" even if it's then placed within an MTM box or other container. The reason being that the UN Classification (UN0012) and UN Packaging Code for Cartridges Small Arms, with Inert Projectiles HD 1.4S, for which the dispensation allows the carriage of up to 5kg AUW per passenger without a Dangerous Good Note is dependant on it being in the packaging to which it was tested (manufacturers packaging). Some carriers my accept the MTM R50, 60 or 100 type boxes, but the fact remains that they are not approved and could (and should) be rejected at the airhead. The carriers can get heavily fined if caught by the HSE, IATA, ICAO etc.

Always best to play it safe and place any ammo in a manufacturers box.

one piece of advice I would give is to take notes of names and what is discussed plus if practical record stuff , I had tremendous trouble with easy jet luton and the guy who caused it all lied after the fact but I couldn't prove it , all dealings are now recorded.

Interesting one on Ammo in original packaging. I only home load and always take it in ammo boxes (the plastic 50 piece type). It's usually looked at and never been questioned.

Interesting one on Ammo in original packaging. I only home load and always take it in ammo boxes (the plastic 50 piece type). It's usually looked at and never been questioned.
The carriers are breaking international law out of ignorance and as we all know ignorance is not a defence in law.
I do a lot of home loading (between 100-400 rds per week) but always make sure that any ammunition that is transported by a carrier (air, land or sea) is in a manufacturers' packaging. I would NOT tell anyone to knowingly break the law nor to try and fool the carrier, but I know of very few people in the transportation industry who would be able to open a box of 20 rounds and state with certainty that they had been reloaded.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Thanks
Went to Portugal from Heathrow in November, our time getting guns and ammo through checks etc took longer than the flight.Could have been that we dropped on the jobsworth (expert):old:

I would amend that to "Ammo HAS to be in the original packaging" even if it's then placed within an MTM box or other container. The reason being that the UN Classification (UN0012) and UN Packaging Code for Cartridges Small Arms, with Inert Projectiles HD 1.4S, for which the dispensation allows the carriage of up to 5kg AUW per passenger without a Dangerous Good Note is dependant on it being in the packaging to which it was tested (manufacturers packaging). Some carriers my accept the MTM R50, 60 or 100 type boxes, but the fact remains that they are not approved and could (and should) be rejected at the airhead. The carriers can get heavily fined if caught by the HSE, IATA, ICAO etc.

That's certainly not the Way Virgin/Delta operates, which is a good thing because my hunting ammunition is handloads. They're more than happy with my MTM & Plano boxes.

From Delta's website:
Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

I'm pretty damn' sure they won't encourage illegal acts by their passengers.

The carriers are breaking international law out of ignorance and as we all know ignorance is not a defence in law.
I do a lot of home loading (between 100-400 rds per week) but always make sure that any ammunition that is transported by a carrier (air, land or sea) is in a manufacturers' packaging. I would tell anyone to knowingly break the law nor to try and fool the carrier, but I know of very few people in the transportation industry who would be able to open a box of 20 rounds and state with certainty that they had been reloaded.

Do you realize how contradictory your post is ? You are telling people that legally, they have to use the "manufacturers" original packaging, yet this is impossible, if you are reloading !

I travel abroad fairly often, and have used all manner of packaging, from ammunition fitted into the plastic inserts, no cardboard box, the plastic 20 round cases, and the worst packaging of all, the Geco bulk box of 50, and never had an issue. I just make sure to use some foam to stop things moving around.

The Peli 1150 is excellent, as is the larger 2050, it really depends on what size ammunition you use, and how many shots you may take.

I manufacture my ammo so it packed in my original packing ie, plastic 20 round boxs. All packed in a small Peli case. Lets face it on my travels with a rifle abroad only one person has ever looked at the ammo and that the happy :fib:police man who checks you when you fly out of Porto airport. Other time the bag is just X rayed.

The only time my ammo has been 'checked' was when it was removed from my suitcase by BA staff. They didn't look in the boxes until a young Jamaican mini bus driver showed interest and asked me what they were.
I opened a carton to show her and when she saw they were .308 silver tip her remark was "Oh how lovely, they would make good earrings "
She is the only person that has ever in all my trips shown any interest in what was in the carton.
Apart from that fiasco with BA I have never had to expose the cartridges in the box that I used to pack them in.

Do you realize how contradictory your post is ? You are telling people that legally, they have to use the "manufacturers" original packaging, yet this is impossible, if you are reloading !

I travel abroad fairly often, and have used all manner of packaging, from ammunition fitted into the plastic inserts, no cardboard box, the plastic 20 round cases, and the worst packaging of all, the Geco bulk box of 50, and never had an issue. I just make sure to use some foam to stop things moving around.

The Peli 1150 is excellent, as is the larger 2050, it really depends on what size ammunition you use, and how many shots you may take.

Well spotted, I missed out the word "NOT" in my sentence :oops::oops:

Corrected now thanks.

Hi Guys

Thanks

To answer your questions:

1. No need to register with LHR. Just inform the airline (as you have done).
2. I always leave the bolt in the rifle. Less chance of it getting bashed about.
3. Yes. Any size knife is fine. Stick it in the box.
4. Get a proper (Plano or other) lockable ammo box. A cash box is not suitable. If it worries you, then decant your homeloads. However, I never bother and nobody cares nor indeed do they understand the requirement. You are dealing with airline/agency ground-staff; not Inspector Morse.

Habe a fabulous trip. Let us know what you shoot.

Kindest regards,

Carl

To answer your questions:

1. No need to register with LHR. Just inform the airline (as you have done).
2. I always leave the bolt in the rifle. Less chance of it getting bashed about.
3. Yes. Any size knife is fine. Stick it in the box.
4. Get a proper (Plano or other) lockable ammo box. A cash box is not suitable. If it worries you, then decant your homeloads. However, I never bother and nobody cares nor indeed do they understand the requirement. You are dealing with airline/agency ground-staff; not Inspector Morse.

Habe a fabulous trip. Let us know what you shoot.

Kindest regards,

Carl

+1 to this. Only thing I would add is that ammo should be loose in the Plano box. I keep factory boxes so that I can put my reloaded ammo in them.

Also by with the knife also stick other expensive optics in your gun case. They are less likely to go walkabout than in general hand luggage.

Also makes a good case for having a common calibre so you can get ammo overseas.

And if you can avoid heathrow do so. Frankfurt is a much nicer airport. I would rather fly Ed and then pick up an international flight and Frankfurt than flying down to Heathrow. Or consider Manchester or Dubai from
one of the UKs regional airports.

+1 to this. Only thing I would add is that ammo should be loose in the Plano box. I keep factory boxes so that I can put my reloaded ammo in them.

Also by with the knife also stick other expensive optics in your gun case. They are less likely to go walkabout than in general hand luggage.

Also makes a good case for having a common calibre so you can get ammo overseas.

And if you can avoid heathrow do so. Frankfurt is a much nicer airport. I would rather fly Ed and then pick up an international flight and Frankfurt than flying down to Heathrow. Or consider Manchester or Dubai from
one of the UKs regional airports.

I'm taking a 308 so wouldn't be a problem getting ammo over there. I think I'll weigh up my kit and if struggling to get under the 30kgs I'll just buy it out there.

We are flying to Virginia USA in a few days. I have never before flown with firearms and am a bit worried. Especially as they are rifles with PMII and Kahles tactical scopes. Have a 308 and a 300wm along but no ammo. Plenty ammo over there.
I think I will remove the NV adapter..... Maybe bolt out and cable lock through??
Have permission from the ATF department and spoke to the airline carrier. Just worried I missed something.
edi

I went to France in January and tried to do the right thing by removing the bolt and carrying it in my hand baggage. I was alright coming out of Gatwick but on the way back the French security didn't want to let me take the bolt on board. I got the French Police involved who said it was alright to do so, but I had a squeaky moment.

My advice would be to leave the bolt in the rifle. Just make sure you are well insured against them loosing it, which would be very unusual as a firearm is handled separately to other luggage.

We are flying to Virginia USA in a few days. I have never before flown with firearms and am a bit worried. Especially as they are rifles with PMII and Kahles tactical scopes. Have a 308 and a 300wm along but no ammo. Plenty ammo over there.
I think I will remove the NV adapter..... Maybe bolt out and cable lock through??
Have permission from the ATF department and spoke to the airline carrier. Just worried I missed something.
edi

Personally bolt in, and open chamber, show it's clear, before passing it for inspection. Realistically, if the case gets stolen, no trigger lock will last long, if that's someones intention.

Back