export of scope from usa

zaitsev

Hi guys. I'm off to the sunny U.S in a couple of days and intend to buy some stuff over there including a scope or two. I have heard that it is now impossible for non US citizens to buy 'Tactical' scopes i.e. leopold Mk4s etc. Any views?

In addition I also intend to buy some dies and bits.

Has anyone any experience of bringing these things into Blighty personally and did you declare, what were you charged etc etc.

Ta muchly

z

Hi Matey,
I'm surprised that can't buy tactical scopes, you can buy them on ebay from yank sites no problem. The terrorists have all the weapons they need anyway because the US gave them the weapons to fight the Russians and Iranians. :lol:

Stable door+the locking of the fore said door+horse vacanting the fore said stable before fore said action could be taken= Balls up! ;)

well .. it's deffo easy to do as I have done it
but I did it via a mate who lives in LA

As I understand it the sale of certain optics are restricted
military night sights are certainly on the list, and some of the legislation seems to state further restricted optics however that said I have been able to source virtually anything I wanted including a night sight for a mate
who knows the yanks are a weird and paranoid but lovely people ..lol

Buckup may have a point there. Posting it would work although the inevitable charges may apply on entry. However bringing it back in hand baggage may also attract Vat. Hmmm I'll have to think about it

thanks guys

z

Every scope I have, which is 6 I have bought from the States, and apart from the last one which is a Leoupold VXL which came through the post after a friend purchased it for me in the States, I have bought back through customs packed in my main luggage.

I have bought rangefinders, GPS, clothes, boots, loading equipment, and bullet heads back. Up to now never had a problem, but I have not been over for 2 years. So things might be a bit different.

Aha.... although obviously I cannot tell you to do this,

but I am reliably informed ;) when you are sent a warranty item from a US address and on the parcel it states warranty repair or replacement "no charge"

apparently :rolleyes: will come straight through without evening being assessed

Zaitsev,

You will probably be OK provided you stay away from the out & out "sniper" types by, for example Nightforce, Trijicon, ATN and others.

You might also have a problem with night vision scopes.

Having said that, the guy at the store is most unlikely to be concerned at what you are buying!

In the last 15 years, I have brought most of my reloading stuff and at least 5 scopes back from the US. That includes dies, brass, 2 presses, trimming tools, scope rings, bullets, cleaning kit etc.

The only problems I have encountered is when I bought by mail order and UPS ripped me off for a "handling fee" which I had to pay at their depot - a 72 mile round trip!

Have a great trip!

Warranty

Post the packaging and warranty if you require it and keep the "used" scope in your luggage and then it is not new and not liable to customs.

"it was a present from a mate".

or

Post it back to yourself, but remove all manufacturers packaging (put it in your luggage) .

i have used the warranty replacement lark on a Ziess scope and a Leupold VXL but send them to a home address not a work address. Great for Ebay.

Just got a new Simmons WTC 5*20 X 50 scope for someone delivered £103 all in. Canny go wrong on a .223 for foxing and has a lifetime warranty.

Good luck

Thanks guys for all the help and good wishes. Off on Tuesday and I'll let you know how I get on. Photos will be forthcoming.

z

Back