Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British guy who fought against IS is now being charged with terrorism offence

British guy who fought against IS is now being charged with terrorism offence

So, a very public face of the fight against IS. I saw the documentary he was in.

He now faces the British legal system for being in a place where acts of terrorism were prepared in or such like.

I'm sure many empathised with the actions of him and others who went out to do something in the fight against IS, I don't think any of them expected charges from this country. There are British civilians still out there doing the same thing and some other higher profile returnees and I wonder if they will all face similar sanction or if it is a political and legal quagmire.

My personal opinion is that they should be spoken to potentially but not face charges. I for one respect him for actually trying to do something in the face of something he saw as very wrong.

SD Regular
    Well, once they've heard the evidence, let us have faith that if they see the charges as unjustified that a British jury might refuse to convict the man.

SD Regular
    Having had dealings with the CPS in the past & a knowledge of the prevailing mindset in that incompetent & biased (I'm being polite...) part of the government, I'm not in the least surprised.
    I'm waiting for the day that my regular trips over the pond & associated use of firearms in various theoretical scenarios is deemed to be training for acts of terrorism.
    Put me & a couple of like minded people on the jury & the guy walks free - jury nullification works under our legal system.

I just wonder where this is being driven from. I think many of us when the news reports were coming in during the IS expansion wanted something to be done.

The situation over there seems to get more and more complicated with Turkey now being involved and those British volunteers now potentially being integrated into units that are now facing Turkish (Allied) troops.

Are the group's they joined, part of those larger Kurdish organisations supposedly recognised as terrorist groups?

I look forward to the judge throwing the case out with yet more excoriating criticism of the CPS.
    Firstly, did he actually have any connection to preparation of terrorism? I can't imagine shooting at jihadists in a foreign country is classified as terrorist activity. ISIL members were neither civilians nor members of the armed forces of a nation. Surely, a self-defence argument is sufficient here.

Secondly, there is the obvious issue of whether he is being unfairly charged, in that the authorities must be aware of other individuals who have attended terrorist centres and returned to the UK, yet none have been charged. The law should be impartial, and apparently it isn't here.

Thirdly, how the **** did the CPS decide it was in the public interest to prosecute someone who made a positive contribution and poses absolutely zero threat to the British state or population, while not prosecuting foaming Islamist maniacs?

Even if the guy is technically guilty, it's a bloody stupid case to bring which can only being disrepute onto the criminal justice system. Home Secretary still on permanent brain holiday, evidently!

Quote Originally Posted by Apthorpe View Post
    I look forward to the judge throwing the case out with yet more excoriating criticism of the CPS.
    Firstly, did he actually have any connection to preparation of terrorism? I can't imagine shooting at jihadists in a foreign country is classified as terrorist activity. ISIL members were neither civilians nor members of the armed forces of a nation. Surely, a self-defence argument is sufficient here.

Secondly, there is the obvious issue of whether he is being unfairly charged, in that the authorities must be aware of other individuals who have attended terrorist centres and returned to the UK, yet none have been charged. The law should be impartial, and apparently it isn't here.

Thirdly, how the **** did the CPS decide it was in the public interest to prosecute someone who made a positive contribution and poses absolutely zero threat to the British state or population, while not prosecuting foaming Islamist maniacs?

Even if the guy is technically guilty, it's a bloody stupid case to bring which can only being disrepute onto the criminal justice system. Home Secretary still on permanent brain holiday, evidently!
    +1

Where do the , CPS get their people from? This will only promote further problems for the Government here in racist terms. Is it any wonder that we have extreme right wing organisations, when these stupid actions are taken against our own. I really feel for this guy as "There but for the Grace of God .. ." but it was easier to slip around from country to country fifty years ago.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

What about the international brigade in Spain against Franco, they faced no such carp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    What about the international brigade in Spain against Franco, they faced no such carp.
    Good analogy , maybe because they had leftist leanings , which weren't considered a bad thing in the post war UK ?

AB

SD Regular
    He actually is probably getting off lightly. When "recruiters" were going around Brit universities in the late 1970s trying to recruit us to go an fight to support the Smith Government in Rhodesia it was made clear, in no uncertain terms, by the authorities that if we did go were likely, on return, to be looked at if we had been in fighting to see if we might be charged with conspiracy (to murder), murder (through joint endeavour) or murder itself.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 08-02-2018 at 20:05.