BASC announces ACPO ruling on centrefires

Now that is very interesting how yet again it has been left wide open to the vageries of the individual cheif officer to interpret and apply :rolleyes:

Now then lad's, all of you who have been hampered by this restriction in the past should now apply to get it changed. If it has come about as a result of an ACPO initiative I doubt any Chief Constable would wish to raise their head above the parapet.

John

I have fow currently for both 6.5x55 and 220 swift. Doe this ruling mean I can have pest control added to both or perhaps just the .22 centrefire? Look forward to your thoughts.

alled, I can't see why you cannot have fox / vermin /ground game added to all your rifles, just apply for it, there appears to be no restrictions imposed. If you start regulating yourself by looking for reasons not to apply you are virtually asking for conditions to be put in place. If the aim is to bring it into line with Scotland then the fox vermin rule should apply across the board. I know it does on my rifles.

John

excellant news

This is excellant news, finally a bit of common sense has broken out. This is accepted if it has been approved by acpo. No individual chief will go against the guidance becuase it won't stand appeal.

swampy

JayB alrready have fox for all my rifles. I would like to add ground game to all as well, just so that I am fully covered. I will speak to my FEO and put the new guidance to him and see how I get along.

Maybe it's just me being sceptical and paranoid but I never trust ant of these lot they are like dinosaurs, don't like to change, when they have an inch they take a mile and go ...."whattttt...?"
There may not be a head above the parapet, but I'll bet the odd nose pokes over
I shall watch interested yet sceptical from afar :lol:

I have just tried the link and got the "Page Unobtainable" message. Can anyone advise on this as I am trying to get as much info on it as possible please?

I've always found the Northern Constabulary licensing office to be very practical and helpful - certainly to those whom I know in the professional line anyway, but it does go a long way if the administrating staff concerned have a good insight into knowing what's required - and trusting their own system as-well-as applicants who have already undergone strict screening in order to get a cert in the first place.

I have just tried the link and got the "Page Unobtainable" message. Can anyone advise on this as I am trying to get as much info on it as possible please?

Might be because the thread is 2 years old so page may no longer exist? as for advice I dont have a clue sorry frenchi

George

Last edited:
There appears to be a hell of a red tape with a lot of the English Forces.............On my certificate my 25-06 is conditioned for 'deer and vermin' over wherever I have authority to shoot. What rubbish, you can only shoot foxes whilst stalking............you can only shoot deer whilst picking your nose. What silly pointless conditions.

.22lr for Fox, we all know that round kills Foxes close in, but it's not on the list as suitable for Fox................ just shows how disjointed this crappy sytem really is!:cuckoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant see what all the fuss is about, the way my F.C is worded, incorperating the phrase any other wildlife , the use of any of my fire arms can be used on exactly that , I take that to include my 270 on fox as well as my .22 so if a fox presents itself whilst out deerstalking and if the shot is safe in my opinion without being a danger to the public and the decision is my call alone then its up to me if i take it or not.

Go to the BASC site, type ACPO into the 'search' engine. Then go to 'additional conditions 3' just a little down the page

Cant see what all the fuss is about, the way my F.C is worded, incorperating the phrase any other wildlife , the use of any of my fire arms can be used on exactly that , I take that to include my 270 on fox as well as my .22 so if a fox presents itself whilst out deerstalking and if the shot is safe in my opinion without being a danger to the public and the decision is my call alone then its up to me if i take it or not.

Be careful regarding this "any other wildlife", this refers to the MANAGEMENT(PROTECTION) of any other wildlife. In other words NOT relating to the actual legitimate Quarry LISTED ON YOUR TICKET, but that "wildlife" which you are there to protect by shooting what is specified on your ticket !!!!
The wording is very confusing unless you read it as they would interperate it !

Back