Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triplets

Triplets

Doing my rounds feeding and checking traps every morning I see lots of deer and get to.know most of the animals on the estate, I have been seeing a doe and three fawns for some time and haven't taken much notice now all the corn is cut I notice them much more.
    My qeston is do roe have triplets ? And has anybody else seen them ? Been a keeper/ stalker for 30 + years and never seen triplets.

cf. I stalked a roe doe and followers a couple of years ago in March near Alyth. I could see a doe and 2 youngsters. I shot one of the youngsters and then the doe and 2 surviving youngsters moved across in front of me about 30yds away. Clearly these had been triplets. The farmer reports seeing triplets this year too. Rgds JCS

Roe triplets are fairly common in Southern Sweden but I have never seen any in the UK.
    I once took twin foetus from a Red-deer hind in the Lake District. This was the start of a lifetime friendship with the late Lea MacNally who had bred twins from one of his hinds at Torridon.

HWH

i have seen a few triplets over the years in this area,twins is the norm here but triplets are not that rare

I have not seen triplets myself but have friends that have seen them in the past.

ATB

Given good feeding, lack of diturbance and a well conditioned doe, it is not that uncommon for roe deer to give birth to triplets.
    I have seen them throughout Scotland over the years, though I would guess they are more common in the south.
    Surprised you have never heard or seen that this is the case in your 30yr stint!
    S.

Not that uncommon, but conditions need to be good, plentiful food supply, with not to much competition
    Have seen surviving triplets on a few occassions, have seen even more foetus triplets when gralloching late season
    Does, the question is how many would have survived, or been reabsorbed, if live birth how many would survive to maturity.

I dont know the answer, will be interested to see what others think.

About three years ago we had a nice big doe who successfully raised triplets all bucks.
    nige

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Roe triplets are fairly common in Southern Sweden but I have never seen any in the UK.
    I once took twin foetus from a Red-deer hind in the Lake District. This was the start of a lifetime friendship with the late Lea MacNally who had bred twins from one of his hinds at Torridon.

HWH
    HWH Now this is really interesting, and I knew of Lea's twins also known of twins born in deer parks and deer farms
    but never have known of twins in the wild, were these foetus's from a truly wild hind.

In the 1980s I was approached by a university professor, as were several other estate stalkers, in the area to look for and record any instances of twin foetus's this study ran for 3 years, not one instance was recorded, since then I have made a point of a thorough inspection and have never found twins.

One year I did have a hind with two followers but as there was quite a difference in size of the calves I would have said one was older than the other, I suspect this was a case of a hind adopting an orphaned calve, but I will never be sure.

Thanks gents for your info, had'nt realized how common this is, must be me, gralloched over 50 doe's last season mostly twin's no triplets.

CF