photographs

donsider

Hi fellow stalkers,

I allways like to look at the photographs posted on SD. However, I have just come to the site and I notice the photograph of Josh and his giraffe. Am I missing something here, so can someone tell me what there is in shooting such an animal........? And then I see a Hippo............. Is this Stalking Directory or Sporting Rifle?

Ready to be blasted at.

Donsider

I think it's horses for courses, it wouldn't be for me, I can't see the point but if it's legal I'll not criticise others for doing it.

I wouldn't be proud of shooting a giraffe... I doubt very much whether i could pull the trigger, in fact I know I couldn't :-|

I agree with Paul on this, not my cup of tea, but if someone is doing it lawfully who are we to cast aspersions. There are enough people out there who would make the same comments about shooting a deer, rabbit or fox.

Rabbits, Giraffes, all the same when they're vermin.

Elephants are not the endangered species in South Africa that they are in other parts. Only $1200 to shoot. All you can keep is the tail hair as all else has to go into the Community Fund.

Barn door may spring to mind but it ain't. You are "given" an animal and have to take it within a moving herd, on foot. Tis the law, no vehicles etc.

Many days following the herd.

Stan

If it gets eaten/used then there is absolutely no difference in shooting a giraffe to a deer. In fact it is probably easier to stalk a deer as giraffe have excellent eyesight and a massive height advantage to see predators coming from a long way off. Don't knock it until you try it.

Having hunted Africa a number of times and shot many of the species, (but not a Giraffe I might add) I am often asked the same question, even by other stalkers.

Hunting Africa is a whole different experience to stalking deer over here. Many areas are specifically managed for safari hunting and just as we manage our deer over here, so many African countries manage their wildlife the same way.

The wildlife of Africa is a sustainable resource that if managed correctly will endure for many years to come. Safari hunting generates more income than tourism, and often in areas which still belong to local ethnic groups it generates employment, and profit sharing which enevitably helps the local community by supplying schools, wells and medicine. The areas are managed on a strictly sustainable basis, and it also stops or reduces many cases of indiscriminate poaching, as the local people can see that the wildlife is of worth to them.

It is a fairly complex subject, and not all Africa countries are succesful with this type of conservation/hunting. But in my opinion if the wildlife of Africa does not pay its way and is not sustainably managed our great grandchildren will only see these animals on video tape and in books in the future.

Soap box removed and I am going back to work :D

The problem with Giraffe is that they are selective browsers. They will eat a tree to death and move on to the next of that species. Eventually their food source is insufficient. Got to balance the numbers. The place I went to in April can support a herd of 17 - 20. Saw a two day old baby, cute. Meant that Marius now had 20 animals. Come next hunting season he will have four animals up for the chop.

Stan

Hi fellow stalkers,

I allways like to look at the photographs posted on SD. However, I have just come to the site and I notice the photograph of Josh and his giraffe. Am I missing something here, so can someone tell me what there is in shooting such an animal........? And then I see a Hippo............. Is this Stalking Directory or Sporting Rifle?

Ready to be blasted at.

Donsider

And then we wonder why so much of our sport is taken away. Please let the people who want to do it get on with it, just becouse you don't like it does'nt make it wrong.

alb
rem

I do not understand somebody coming on a stalking/hunting forum and critising stalking/hunting.

The giraffe i'm guessing would have been stalked as would the hippo so were is the issue, you have asked the reasoning behind it would it not be better to explain your reasoning for not shooting them.

Moose

Dear all,

Many thanks for the posted comments to my post and I take on board all the opinions expressed and, I have to say, agree with all the sentiment in some shape or form.

I have not been on a Safari though I have friends who have and echo the points raised by Sikamalc. Perhaps one day I will as my son did as a zoology student and came back with glowing reports on wildlife management on the African continent. Equally I have friends who I shoot with in a syndiacte who express no desire to stalk and shoot a deer and yet at the same time have do desire to stop me from doing so. As has been said in the above posts by harvesting a sustainable resource.

I do know, from working as a producer in TV and a member of the mass media, that field sports does get a rough ride and I am pleased that this forum, to me has done exactly what the organisers have set out to do in an unbiased manner - Educate, Inform and entertain.

I certainly have learned by the opinions expressed in my post and in a clear, effective and polite manner. Thank you.

Donsider.

PS, Though I still have no desire to shoot a giraffe.

Dear all,

Many thanks for the posted comments to my post and I take on board all the opinions expressed and, I have to say, agree with all the sentiment in some shape or form.

I have not been on a Safari though I have friends who have and echo the points raised by Sikamalc. Perhaps one day I will as my son did as a zoology student and came back with glowing reports on wildlife management on the African continent. Equally I have friends who I shoot with in a syndiacte who express no desire to stalk and shoot a deer and yet at the same time have do desire to stop me from doing so. As has been said in the above posts by harvesting a sustainable resource.

I do know, from working as a producer in TV and a member of the mass media, that field sports does get a rough ride and I am pleased that this forum, to me has done exactly what the organisers have set out to do in an unbiased manner - Educate, Inform and entertain.

I certainly have learned by the opinions expressed in my post and in a clear, effective and polite manner. Thank you.

Donsider.

PS, Though I still have no desire to shoot a giraffe.

Donsider, I think that is an excellent reply. There are always many sides to any argument,and the ethics and background to hunting in africa is a very complex area. At the end of the day I believe shooters/stalkers/hunters should stick together for the good of the sport as a whole and seek to educate none hunters where possible. Excellent thread!

Lakey

Back