Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Changing rifles(what's the law?)

  1. #1

    Changing rifles(what's the law?)

    Is trading one rifle for another rifle of the same caliber the same as switiching one shotgun for another? If I got fed up of one rifle and wanted a change, and then decided to buy another, how would I go about this?

    I don't know the law on this part.

  2. #2
    A 1 for 1 variation, and the hum drum of all that i'm afraid though it should be free.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Posts
    2,610
    You need to sell your current rifle or part with it for Part Exchange, notify the Police that you have done this, submit a one for one variation to allow you to purchase another rifle (Even if it's the same caliber/cartridge). You can then go and buy/pick up your new rifle.

    Depending on your FLO, you can apply for a one for one variation and still hold your current firearms, they might put a condition along the lines of-

    "The (insert caliber) rifle and .(Insert caliber) moderator can be purchaced once the current (Insert caliber) rifle and (insert caliber) moderator has been sold.

    This will allow you to keep your current rifle and look around, once you have found a suitable replacement, you can then, sell/dispose/part ex your current rifle and pick up your new rifle on the same day, with out to much hassle.

    TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

  4. #4
    Humberside used to (don't know if they still do) a temporary it ticket lasted about a month to allow changeover.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    You need to sell your current rifle or part with it for Part Exchange, notify the Police that you have done this, submit a one for one variation to allow you to purchase another rifle (Even if it's the same caliber/cartridge). You can then go and buy/pick up your new rifle.

    Depending on your FLO, you can apply for a one for one variation and still hold your current firearms, they might put a condition along the lines of-

    "The (insert caliber) rifle and .(Insert caliber) moderator can be purchaced once the current (Insert caliber) rifle and (insert caliber) moderator has been sold.

    This will allow you to keep your current rifle and look around, once you have found a suitable replacement, you can then, sell/dispose/part ex your current rifle and pick up your new rifle on the same day, with out to much hassle.

    TJ

    Not a very simple process then. I take it that best to get the rifle you reall want, right off the bat. No chopping ro changing.

  6. #6
    They could also move your current firearm to a temporary permit with an expiry date included. I think mine was 3 months. This meant that I could have a vacant slot on my permenant certificate and possess my current rifle on a temp permit.

    When I part exchanged the old beauty I sent the temp permit in with notice of sale/ exchange to terminate the temp permit. I also sent the receipt of sale and the completed table on my permanent cert.

    As easy as 1, 2, ...

    DC

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    They could also move your current firearm to a temporary permit with an expiry date included. I think mine was 3 months. This meant that I could have a vacant slot on my permenant certificate and possess my current rifle on a temp permit.

    When I part exchanged the old beauty I sent the temp permit in with notice of sale/ exchange to terminate the temp permit. I also sent the receipt of sale and the completed table on my permanent cert.

    As easy as 1, 2, ...

    DC
    this is what i was talking about.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Not a very simple process then. I take it that best to get the rifle you reall want, right off the bat. No chopping ro changing.
    this is equally true for scopes.
    easier to change but equally costly, especially setting up on rifles with the added cost of ammo.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Is trading one rifle for another rifle of the same caliber the same as switiching one shotgun for another? If I got fed up of one rifle and wanted a change, and then decided to buy another, how would I go about this?

    I don't know the law on this part.
    Home Office Guidance:

    “One for one” variations

    10.51 A variation is always necessary if a
    certificate holder wishes to change one of the
    firearms, even if they wish to purchase one
    identical to the one they are selling (Wilson v
    Coombe, Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July
    1988). “One for one” variation refers to
    firearms that are authorised to be acquired
    at the same time as one is being disposed
    of. For practical purposes this is normally
    taken to be within seven days. The use
    of authorities which can be kept open
    indefinitely should be discouraged.
    Applications for “one for one” variations
    should be made by the certificate holder
    submitting their firearm certificate together
    with a completed form 101 to the police
    firearms licensing department. Such variations
    are processed free of charge. In most cases,
    it will not be necessary to re-examine the
    applicant’s circumstances. Further inquiries
    will be necessary, however, if for example
    the application is for a change of use or
    for a full-bore firearm when the holder’s
    shooting club only has facilities for
    small-bore shooting.

    Although seven 7 days is mentioned it is not usually taken to mean that the two transactions (sale/purchase) must be made within 7 days of each other. Many police forces have interpreted it to mean that it's the 'one for one' variation that must be applied for within 7 days of disposal of the firearm. Once you have your FAC back you can then shop around for a replacement if you haven't already found one, so the time scale can be reasonable - although it's not intended that the 'slot' is to be kept open indefinately.

    As an example, here's what Dumfries & Galloway helpfully put on their website:

    "A rifle may be exchanged for another of the same general calibre and type. This is known as 'one for one' to replace a worn firearm or acquire a preferred one. In practice, the old firearm should be disposed of, a 'one for one' variation applied for within 7 days and the new firearm acquired when granted."

  10. #10
    Rumour has it that in NI we will be able to do one-on/one-off changes on CF rifles in the shop starting this autumn, date TBA. Same calibre only.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Similar Threads

  1. Changing rifle calibres with the same moderator
    By david1976 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 24-02-2012, 18:42
  2. Changing rifle
    By stig in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 10:30
  3. The Changing Seasons
    By vizslamad in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-12-2009, 15:25
  4. Changing ammo manufacturer or hot barrel to blame?
    By willtomand in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-08-2009, 08:15
  5. Sods Law
    By Roger in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •