.30-06 Users

5pointer

Hi all,

For all of you .30-06 users out there IÂ’m hoping for some advice/suggestions on what rifles to consider or even just what you use and why you like it.

IÂ’ve just received my FAC back with an additional slot for a .30-06 on it and IÂ’m keen to get it filled as soon as possible! IÂ’m just not sure what route to go down rifle wise at the moment. I have several other stalking rifles, all of which are walnut and blued barrels and I think that a good quality synthetic or perhaps even laminate is the way to go now, particularly as one of my permissions seems to be like permanently stalking in a swamp.

I know that the .30-06 is sometimes regarded as having a bit of a bite to it but the only one I have shot previously was a friends unmoderated heym sr21 and I actually found it a joy to shoot, this kind of surprised me given that I had imagined it to be a bit of a mule.

I donÂ’t know whether it was the weight of my friends rifle or something else but ideally IÂ’d like to find a good quality synthetic rifle that doesnÂ’t have one of the flimsy feeling synthetic stocks. IÂ’d like something that feels solidly built and that doesnÂ’t exaggerate the recoil by being too light. Any other thoughts or general advice on the calibre would be appreciated as well!

Thanks IÂ’m advance,

5pointer

The Heym sr21 is a good solid rifle with a good stock shape. I’ve shot it in 308 alongside a little Mannlicher model m carbine, also in 308. With the same ammo the Heym was a pussycat, the Mannlicher was uncomfortable as stock was too short and not enough eye relied on the scope.

Go with laminate as it soaks up recoil more than synthetic. Make sure it fits well and if needs be add a recoil pad. Make sure scope is mounted low and mounted well forward so it cannot whack you between the eyes.

And then hold it properly and learn to learn to control the recoil. Hold that forend -https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

My recent purchase is a Remington 700 30-06 with wood stock,I was worried about recoil but found that bullet choice is your main factor. Use 150 grain and it hits hard, use 180 grain and above and it hits you hard but what would you expect with the amount of propellant required to send a large pill on its way?

BC.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Heym SR20 - Thanks for the advice and the link. I anticipated that rifle fit would be a big factor in the perceived recoil. The Heyms I have used before have definitely all fit me well. Would you have any thoughts on a particular laminated stock rifle worth considering?

Bullet chucker & nicholiath - Incidentally the rifle I had a go with was being zeroed for use on plains game in Africa and we were using 180gr at the time, I can’t say it was particularly abusive even with those so perhaps I’m over thinking the potential unpleasantness of the recoil. I would be moderating the rifle anyway and I do generally prefer a slightly heavier mod so perhaps that will be enough to keep the recoil at a comfortable level. I suppose my biggest worry was that a synthetic stock would be that much lighter than the one I tried out and that it would unbalance the rifle if I used a heavy mod make it more uncomfortable with the recoil.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Heym SR20 - Thanks for the advice and the link. I anticipated that rifle fit would be a big factor in the perceived recoil. The Heyms I have used before have definitely all fit me well. Would you have any thoughts on a particular laminated stock rifle worth considering?

Bullet chucker & nicholiath - Incidentally the rifle I had a go with was being zeroed for use on plains game in Africa and we were using 180gr at the time, I can’t say it was particularly abusive even with those so perhaps I’m over thinking the potential unpleasantness of the recoil. I would be moderating the rifle anyway and I do generally prefer a slightly heavier mod so perhaps that will be enough to keep the recoil at a comfortable level. I suppose my biggest worry was that a synthetic stock would be that much lighter than the one I tried out and that it would unbalance the rifle if I used a heavy mod make it more uncomfortable with the recoil.

Heym do the SR21 with a GRS Laminated stock, but rather think it would ruin the handling of the rifle. I have played with the T3 in 30-06 and 300 win mag in Stainless Laminate and feel like good solid rifles. Also handled the synthetic stocked version - doesn't handle at all nicely - its far too light - both of these also only have a 3 round magazine.

You wont go wrong with the Sako 75 or 85 - either laminate or synthetic - their synthetics seem that much more robust. I would also have a look at the new Mauser M18 - seems a lot of rifle for the money, or the Sauer 101 or Mauser M12.

Given that you are thinking of using it for Plains game the rifle needs to handle well off hand and off an improvised rest. You may well have to a fast shot when the opportunity arises - think Muntjac in Oxfordshire woodland, rather than Red deer on the open hill.

And you quickly learn to handle the recoil - when I first got my 7x65r/16 bore firing a 173gn bullet at c2700fps with an all up weight of 7lbs, it was pretty uncomfortable. Lengthened the stock with a recoil pad and now don't even notice the recoil. The 16 bore probably gives more recoil. When I use a 22 or 222 I more struggle with the lack of recoil!

Blaser R8 synthetic I’ve also got an R8 wooden stock and when I switch barrels there is no difference in the recoil imho. What ever you choose mate 30.06 is a cracking calibre my favourite out of my five mate

regards Steve

Blaser R8 synthetic I’ve also got an R8 wooden stock and when I switch barrels there is no difference in the recoil imho. What ever you choose mate 30.06 is a cracking calibre my favourite out of my five mate

regards Steve

Certainly got plenty to think about now. I have never handled a Winchester rifle but it could be well worth considering. Sako and Mauser were two that I’d already thought about looking into and you’ve just reaffirmed that they could be the way to go. I think the best option now could be to try and get hold of a few different ones and see what feels ‘right’ in both handling and fit and hopefully things will fall into place from there.

Thanks for for all the advice!

Hi Steve,

A Blaser had also crossed my mind but I’m a bit of a traditionalist with rifles, in terms of aesthetics. However, this one would very much be a tool and so from that point of view I could see the benefits of the Blaser. I can’t quite bring myself to love the idea of having one but then again, I am yet to handle one so perhaps I should give it a look before deciding it’s not for me!

Glad to hear you approve of the calibre!

I have a Blaser R8 in 30-06 with two barrels. One standard for general stalking and a short one for Driven game.
When using either I have not noticed any undue recoil except when zeroing from a bench rest but even then it is nothing to make me go - OUCH ;)
Incidentally, I use 150gr for general use and 180 or 220gr for driven and still do not reckon the 30-06 is a kicker - unless not held properly :(

I have an M12 in 30-06 and use Norma Oryx 180gr.
I'm sure prolonged use would be a bit wearing but when it's zeroed how many shots are you going to put through it in one session?

I went with a Sako 85 Finnlight in 30/06.
I use 155 and 178 bullet weights with no issue with recoil. If the rifle fits you right you won't notice any recoil when hunting.
A moderator on the front mellows the calibre right down.
Go for it, you won't regret have a 30/06.

You’ve all certainly alleviated my concerns about excessive recoil in a synthetic stock. I’m going to look at a few different options and hopefully find something that:
a) I like the look of.
And
b) Fits & feels right.

By all accounts, if I’m comfortable with it and that I use it properly it shouldn’t matter too much about the synthetic stock or the weight. Especially if I’m going to get it moderated anyway.

Lots of useful info and suggestions. Thanks everyone

I hated everything about blasers when they first came out. However i had a go and now have two R8's and a K95 single shot which I adore bud. Blasers are very much like the marmite of the shooting world especially on here but for me there is no better rifle for the money. I even bought a sauer 202 outback last month in 6.5x55 and zeroed it. I then re-affirmed why i like blaser rifles so much, firstly they are about 3-4 inches shorter than all other standard bolt actions and also so much smoother in the action. Just my opinion. So needless to say that saucer went back and i got another R8 picking it up next week.

If it helps I shoot 165Gr RWS DK Twin core for everything from muntjac to pigs, I use it on driven stuff in europe and its a great round and things fall over with very little meat damage.

Regards Steve

I like a rifle with a decent straight comb stock, a very consistant and light trigger (<1.5lb), approx 21-23" barrel with moderator giving an all up weight of 8.5-10lbs that is front heavy, silent safety, minimum 4 rounds magazine, drop plate or blind magazine (so I don't lose it and so the rifle isn't "loaded" with an empty mag) and low mounts. These are all considerations I would take over and above any concerns over calibre.

I built a BRNO ZG 47 to this spec and found a remington M700 someone else had. Both are 30-06 which is fine by me.

Many people align themselves to particular brands or calibres. I would suggest you look at the attributes you want and find something that satisfies these irrespective of make or calibre.

Last edited:
Back