Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any point in getting DSC1 if nowhere to stalk?

Any point in getting DSC1 if nowhere to stalk?

Looking on this site it is very difficult to get into a syndidate. I can go stalking if I pay to go and I don't need the DSC1.
    So what is the point in getting the qualification and then never being able to get the land?
    There is an increasing deer population but it seems you cant get any land to shoot them as people already have the contract or it is owned by the goverment.

Can someone tell me the advantage? OK you will know what you are doing but you have a guide for that, which on most land won't allow you to shoot on your own anyway.
    It might allow you to have a rifle but that is an added expense when you could use an estate rifle.

Just wondering....

Ritchie, you need to be seen to be willing to get into the stalking, rather than just waiting for a shot.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Increasingly, the question might be 'is there any point looking for somewhere to stalk if you haven't got DSC1?'

I did DSC1 earlier this year despite my 2-3 weeks a year at hinds all being accompanied. I did it because I thought it would be interesting (it was) and because I though it would be helpful if I did actually decide to look into getting a Rifle in a syndicate, or something of that sort.

In fact, the increasing tyranny of paper now seems to have led to DSC2 being the thing required; but DSC1 is still a first step, and it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Ritchie, you need to be seen to be willing to get into the stalking, rather than just waiting for a shot.
    I see your point about being willing and eager to learn and get into the sport. I have the manual and have been reading it, but sometimes looking on here it get a bit depressing at the effort people make with no results. If you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepolecat View Post
    but sometimes looking on here it get a bit depressing at the effort people make with no results. If you see what I mean.
    Not really. Can you clarify what you mean by 'results?

Account Suspended
    There is stalking syndicates that exist where you dont need a DSC1 but its in your interest to progress with as much knowledge and experience as you can aquire ,which will become more advantagous to you later in aquiring more productive stalking grounds.
    B.A.S.C are also offering members access to stalking to those who are working to aquire those qualifications as well.

As far as I am aware if you had your DSC1 and was registered for your DSC2 and working towards obtaining it stalking would be available to you on there schemes.

Hope this Helps
    Regards
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepolecat View Post
    I see your point about being willing and eager to learn and get into the sport. I have the manual and have been reading it, but sometimes looking on here it get a bit depressing at the effort people make with no results. If you see what I mean.
    Absolutely disagree Richie..

Totally the opposite is actually true on this site...

I met and made some great friends doing my level 1 and 2

This along with getting some of my level 2 signed off on the SD week last year has opened up endless opportunities..

Some of the friends i made on the SD week are actually staying at my house in a fortnight going out on the sika here in Poole before i join them up in Scotland later in the month.

This site should leave you anything but depressed my friend..

ATB

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Hi Richie,

Another valid point might be that on turning up as a syndicate of say four or five others for a days stalking.

The level 1 gives the estate manager an instant guide as to your level of ability as does level 2. It gives you credibility to be seen as a keen stalker to a man that doesnt know you..

If he has never met all of you before, and some turn up with level 2, which ones do you think he will let go off on their own and which one will he be sat alongside in the high seat..

Not infallable as obviously some without certs may have 50 yrs experience but hope you see what im getting at..

Level 1&2 gives a man youve never met a rough guide to your ability.

Sometimes there is advertised stalking on here available to go out on your own if you have level 2.. surely another incentive..

Hope you go for it..

Terry
    Last edited by pheasant sniper 1; 03-09-2010 at 18:36. Reason: cant bloody spell... doh
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Ritchie,

I'm a novice and I know that stalking can be tough to break into. However, in my experience, most forms off live quarry shooting are all about getting out there and building up contacts. Doesn't matter whether its pigeon shooting, foxing, bunnies, deer or whatever - you need to get amongst it and get to know people who are already active in the sport.

DSC 1 is great for this. Chances are you'll meet people on your course who already stalk regularly. Get to know them and you never know where it might lead. Also, I can say as a novice that having DSC 1 has opened doors for me. If nothing else it demonstrates that you are serious about stalking and are keen to learn. If an opportunity to join a syndicate does present itself then your chances of joining if you have DSC 1 are probably better than if you haven't.

My advice is to chuck yourself at it and take every possible opportunity. I did DSC 1 last summer. Within a year I'd joined a syndicate and a rifle club, got my FAC and bought a rifle. Things started to happen for me after I did DSC 1.

Take care,

Bob