Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The fashion for short barrels.

Account Suspended

The fashion for short barrels.

I know it has become quite the fashion to have short barrels on rifles with sound moderators... so they'll be "handy". But do you know this? ... A 100 grain bullet must travel at a muzzle velocity of no less than 2767fps to achieve 1,700ftlbs of muzzle energy, which is the legal minimum muzzle energy for "all-deer" in the UK. Just a thought.

I think it fairly easy to achieve that mv with most calibres with a 20 inch barrel - I wouldnt go much shorter than 20 personally.

Ive just taken 4 inches off my 22-250AI to make it more portable - what a difference it makes

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    I think it fairly easy to achieve that mv with most calibres with a 20 inch barrel - I wouldnt go much shorter than 20 personally.

Ive just taken 4 inches off my 22-250AI to make it more portable - what a difference it makes
    Interesting... If you don't mind me asking... How long is the barrel now? What velocity does it yield with what bullet/weight? and... How long is it with a mod on? if you use one.

It is now 20 inches and 23 with moderator (T8 AR), velocity is circa 2900 fps with 75g A - Max, no noticable loss of performance.

Recently took 4" off my 243 remmy sps stainless sporter, tried a 15 deg crown no deburring.
    My plan is to use it for walking up sika in plantations with an aluminium can attached.
    After the chop the 100yd grouping improved from 3/4" down to 8mm, 300yd she groups slightly under an inch.
    I spent all today walking on a hill in high grass, great to have a short light rifle.
    edi

Account Suspended
    It is now 20 inches and 23 with moderator (T8 AR), velocity is circa 2900 fps with 75g A - Max, no noticable loss of performance.
    That really is interesting. My .223 rem has a 27" barrel with 1:8" twist, and must be about the length you started at... It launches 75gr A-max's at a tad over 3000fps. It is threaded for a T8 and I do have one, but the lesser bark of the .223 out of that barrel length doesn't bother me unless I'm "practising", in which case I slap the T8 on.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Recently took 4" off my 243 remmy sps stainless sporter, tried a 15 deg crown no deburring.
    My plan is to use it for walking up sika in plantations with an aluminium can attached.
    After the chop the 100yd grouping improved from 3/4" down to 8mm, 300yd she groups slightly under an inch.
    I spent all today walking on a hill in high grass, great to have a short light rifle.
    edi

Strangely enough Edi, I tried an 11 degree crown with mine as opposed to my usualt target stepped version. The rifle was - I suspected coming to the end of its barrel life having had circa 4000 rounds through it - all moly cote 75g A max - so I considered recrown and chop before unscrew and replace!

It appears to have worked, grouping is back to normal - one small ragged hole just over .4 moa, (5 shot average) and its made a barrel heavy gun, enjoyable to carry to places to sit and watch for foxes etc.

Tamus

I think if your barrel is 27" you will notice more of a velocity reduction than I have (ive lost 4 inches, you would lose 7)

I also have 8 twist barrel by the way.

Account Suspended
    Tamus

I think if your barrel is 27" you will notice more of a velocity reduction than I have (ive lost 4 inches, you would lose 7)

I also have 8 twist barrel by the way.
    True... But I never was a follower of fashion and have no intention of chopping my gun up (sorry, shortening the barrel ) It pleases me greatly that my wee .223 gives velocities and accuracy to match a .22-250 (AI)... and... no IF about it, the barrel is actually 690mm long.

my .243AI lobs 105s at 3000fps witha 22 inch barrel
    My .308 lobs 130s at 2800fps with a 20 inch barrel
    165s at 2570

Dave